liamfraser280

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Don't have the time to teach people how to compile it, but I'll show it off and share the build

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:11 pm

@Liam Congratulations.

If you could post the binary with instructions for getting it to run.

Unfortunately will require the apt-get install <lots> and some symlinking.

Not sure if its possible to include the required libs+symlinks in a local directory and just launch with "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=<local path> xbmc".

liamfraser280

Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:09 pm

I can even play YouTube. Will make a video and hopefully instructions tonight. Just tried it downstairs on a TV and got the message.

Error: Could not determine network interfaces, you must use a interfaces config line.

Any ideas how to solve this (only happens with eth unplugged - worked if you have already got an address and pull the cable though)?

Cheers,

Liam.

liamfraser280

Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:47 pm

For now, giving an interface a random address solves the issue.

sudo ifconfig up

sudo ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.234

It would be interesting to find out why this happens though. Will need to be fixed at some point

thexman

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:18 pm

and where can we get this there must be 200000 people waiting for XBMC or OPENELEC thats why they all rushed out to buy a PI and the vast shortage arose good work guys if its a working version and all is well. or is it still missing sound. right now.?
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

liamfraser280

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:31 pm

I'll write up instructions and upload it at some point. Uploading a version tonight but you'll have to be pretty patient to get it going from a fresh image. It works pretty well although as far as I know it's still classed as an alpha. There are some bugs though.

Analogue and HDMI audio work

dom

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:44 pm

XBMC (and omxplayer) use openmax for audio and video which works fine.

It's just ALSA that's currently unfinished.

XBMC is technically alpha, as it's only been tested substantially by a few people (mostly me, and Gimli).

However I think it's pretty impressive. I've watched many hours of videos on it and its been a high quality experience.

No doubt there are bugs, and missing features, but it's looking promising.

There has been a lot of work put in by the XBMC developers:

Davilla, who did the initial building and got the GUI up and running.

Gimli, who creates the openMAX IL media player (omxplayer) and then got this integrated into XBMC. That has been hundreds of hours of effort, and he's done a great job.

If you're passing by the XBMC forums, be sure to offer your thanks.

Hopefully now a few people know how to build it, a binary package won't be far off.

liamfraser280

Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:59 pm

I agree with Dom - it's is and is going to be a quality piece of work

The devs deserve thanks. I found that it works better on a monitor than a tv. My TV adjusts to the video im playing and then when you stop it the GUI is a bit messed up. Not sure whos fault that is though.

Tested XVID and DIVX at standard res, play beautifully. Had a few secs of big buck and it looked fine. Had some YouTube playback using the YouTube plugin (think it was 720p) and it was extremely smooth. Tried some other 720p that had 6 channels of AAC audio and it did lag in places. I think its because the CPU was mixing down 6 channels of AAC to stereo pcm and putting it through HDMI which is a LOT of work for that little arm.

Would be interesting to see what could be done to improve situations like that.

dom

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:05 am

Turn off the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" if it is giving you problems.

Enable HDMI passthrough if possible - it allows much harder clips to play.

liamfraser280

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:07 am

Thanks Dom. I'll give those a try. I did demo a tiny bit of it lagging but will do more video at some point if those make a difference

CrashX

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:13 am

Excellent job in getting it building right.

If you don"t mind, can you answer the the following questions on your XBMC experience:

1) How is the UI ? Is it responsive ? How is CPU load going back and forth between menu ? To see cpu usuage, you need to enable debugging under system settings.

2) How is media playback ? Flash ? Apple Trailers ? 1080p ? Any drops in frames ? Cpu usage ? You can see this information by pressing "o" during playback.

3) Have you tried any plugins ? Icefilms, NaviX, Youtube, etc

4) How is the video,music library feature on it ? Scanning content ? Going through different views ?

Here is couple of advanced settings that I use to make my Apple TV 2 XBMC experience a bit better:

<advancedsettings> <network> <cachemembuffersize>30242880</cachemembuffersize> </network> <fanartheight>560</fanartheight> <thumbsize>256</thumbsize> <gui> <algorithmdirtyregions>3</algorithmdirtyregions> <nofliptimeout>0</nofliptimeout> </gui> <bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads> </advancedsettings>

nimdy

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Can't wait to see it guys. Keep up the good work

drdobsg

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:51 pm

I successfully built it last night as well, although I didnt get much time to play with it as it was too late by the time i got it working.

I basically followed Dom's instructions, but here are some notes for anyone else who wants to try.

NFS booting is somewhat unreliable.  I have to power cycle the pi to get it to work.  Simply rebooting cause it to hang pretty much every time.
I also got the dbus error.  As ntadej mentioned, adding "/opt/bcm-rootfs/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include" to the includes in Make.include fixes it.  Although it needs to be changed again after you do a "make clean".
I also get the TextureGL.cpp error. Dom's fix of adding "#define EGL_EGLEXT_PROTOTYPES" to Texture.h worked for me.
I had a problem i didn't see any one else mention.  When running xbmc.bin, libshairport and libtiff could not be found but they were in the xbmc lib folder.  I created a link in the /usr/local/lib folder and ran ldconfig and was then able to start xbmc.bin
I did all the build using the latest debian release.
My usb keyboard was acting strange, but it may be because it is pulling too much current, I will try another keyboard or stronger power supply.

I didn't actually try watching a video or playing any audio yet, but navigating all the menus wasn't too bad.  A little laggy in some areas, and i think i remember the menu navigation sounds coming out of my rear surround speakers, but it was late so I could have been hallucinating.  
By the way are we supposed to put new posts in the beta php forum, or here?

ntadej

Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:58 pm

If you don't want to use NFS, you can just chroot into rootfs on a debian based OS by copying static qemu binaries to rootfs' /usr/bin. That way you can install required dependencies for building.

Buzzthebuzzsaw

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 am

Hi All,

I'm one of the lucky ones to get my hands on the Pi.

I've managed to get through the compile and xbmc boots fine, but when I try to play a video it fails to play and crashes the Pi (have to pull the plug on it).  I'm using it with composite output so I'm not sure if this is the issue.

Sorry if this is a bit obscure, I can send on any output from the logs that would be of use.

Anyone have any tips on what it could be?

Thanks for any help!

dom

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:03 am

Turn on debugging and post xbmc.log to pastebin or similar.

Buzzthebuzzsaw

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 am

I'm at work now, I'll send them on as soon as I'm home.

Thanks!

EpWoody

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:36 am

Trying to compile using your instructions. A few small notes and an error.

- Curl needs to be installed.

- The toolchain may need to be editted in tools/rbp/setup-sdk.sh. Depending on where you"ve placed your toolchain.

The problem I run into is the following:

<pre>CPP xbmc/cores/omxplayer/OMXAudioCodecOMX.o<br />OMXAudioCodecOMX.cpp: In member function "void COMXAudioCodecOMX::BuildChannelMap()":<br />OMXAudioCodecOMX.cpp:313:27: error: "class DllAvCodec" has no member named "avcodec_guess_channel_layout"

Edit: I looks like they removed the declarations of that function, in lib/DllAvCodec.h Wonder why you didn't recieved that error

liamfraser280

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:52 pm

I"m afraid I don"t really have time to make a binary and write up instructions so until something better comes along, who wants me to make a debian image that includes a working copy of xbmc?

EpWoody

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:58 pm

I wonder how long it will take before there is a first version of Raspbmc. Plus, how usable is it, for the main users?

My XBMC is now running as well. I'm happy. It's fun to see the terminal in de background when you playback a video

drdobsg

Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:57 pm

I was unable to play a video.  I don't remember the exact error from the log, but it was omxplayer related.  Aside from that, navigating the menu was buggy.  It would lock up every now and then.  The text entry seemed pretty buggy as well.  I think I am going to try rebuilding it.

If anyone is interested, i noticed openelec.tv posted info on how make a build for the RaspPi.  I think I am going to try this as well.

drdobsg

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:00 pm

Liam Fraser said:

I"m afraid I don"t really have time to make a binary and write up instructions so until something better comes along, who wants me to make a debian image that includes a working copy of xbmc?

If it isn't too much trouble, I think this could be worthwhile.  I would like to run your build and see if i any of the same problems I am having here.

ericball

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:37 pm

One question I have is the ability to play back MPEG2 content, i.e. DVD ISOs or ATSC/DVB-T captures.  Or will that all have to be transcoded before I have any hope of playing it back?

Helpme1986

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Liam Fraser said:

Silly Question!

Torrent maybe to save on valuable bandwidth else where? Happy to seed 24/7 (Though only got 2mb up!)

ntadej

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:55 pm

I can create a binary and publish it somewhere. Need to get my Pi first though (which should be any day now)

Return to “Media centres”