masterluke

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 pm

Using Liam's image. Using upnp via tversity server here and it seems to be streaming hd h264 fine. Its another thing to try if you arent getting good performance from smb.

I do have a small problem when using the composite out (set to PAL sd mode 2 via config.txt) - the startup text and console output is visable above and below the video during playback. When using the menu's rather than playing video the console is visable in the bottom quarter of the screen only. The xbmc calibration screen can't fix it because the image just disappears beyond the line where the console output is shown. HDMI works fine. Anyone got any ideas on this?

I also had the small XBMC output in the top right corner of the screen initially, but a "\" sent it to fill most of the screen.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has worked on this so far, your efforts are really appreciated.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:16 pm

GroundhogOZ said:

Do you know how the performance with a USB-device is?

Should be good. I've heard of 23MB/s read speed from a USB hard drive which is way above any video you could find.

USB mass storage device will depend on the device, but I'd expect it to be good enough.

nimdy

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:12 pm

masterluke said:

Using Liam's image. Using upnp via tversity server here and it seems to be streaming hd h264 fine. Its another thing to try if you arent getting good performance from smb.

I do have a small problem when using the composite out (set to PAL sd mode 2 via config.txt) - the startup text and console output is visable above and below the video during playback. When using the menu's rather than playing video the console is visable in the bottom quarter of the screen only. The xbmc calibration screen can't fix it because the image just disappears beyond the line where the console output is shown. HDMI works fine. Anyone got any ideas on this?

I also had the small XBMC output in the top right corner of the screen initially, but a "\" sent it to fill most of the screen.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has worked on this so far, your efforts are really appreciated.

Hi Masterluke.

How did you get full screen on yours? I'm having the same sort of issue with HDMI, only in the left hand corner. When you say "\" do you mean just pressing it on the keyboard. That does nothing for me

Blunderbuss

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Has anyone else had the issue that it says: cannot run XBMC unless the screen color depth is 24bit, please reconfigure your monitor? Anyone know how to fix this?

masterluke

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:47 pm

nimdy said:

How did you get full screen on yours? I'm having the same sort of issue with HDMI, only in the left hand corner. When you say "\" do you mean just pressing it on the keyboard. That does nothing for me

Yes the backslash switches between windowed mode and full screen - weird that its not working for you. If I press it the screen toggles between small screen at the top left (sorry its left for me too) and full screen. Perhaps you can try running xbmc with "xbmc -fs".

Tavalin

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:03 pm

I tried accessing the videos by upnp (as I couldn't get nfs to connect) as it still stutters.

I've turned on debugging now and the screen reports the fps as around 23-25fps (even during the stuttering parts which sounds wrong), cpu usage at about 90% and about 60mb of RAM free.

I'll try the OpenELEC version and see if it differs.

crashingdutchman

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:38 pm

It seems that both mouse and keyboard don't work in XBMC, but do work in the 'startx' gui.

I am a noob with Linux (and pretty new to xbmc). Is there any settings or config file that I should edit?

masterluke

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:01 pm

Tavalin said:

I tried accessing the videos by upnp (as I couldn't get nfs to connect) as it still stutters.

What encoding are the files you tried using? What resolution? What audio encoding and how many channels?

Have you tried SD MPEG4 with 2 channel audio? Does that stutter too?

abishur

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:34 pm

gimli said:

Abishur said:

gimli said:

Works with the new player code here

I see, how do I get that new code onto my pi? 

Looks like it depends on me, when i'm going to push it

Can't help but noticing that the github has been updated Does that include the fix for the .mkv and subtitles I was experiencing? ::angelface::
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Tavalin

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:43 am

masterluke said:

Tavalin said:

What encoding are the files you tried using? What resolution? What audio encoding and how many channels?

The OpenELEC version seems to cope a bit better (there's less stuttering but it still happens) and the video is encoded with h264 in an mkv.  1920 x 1080 resolution, 23.97 fps.   The audio is encoded using DTS and says 3F2R which i'm guessing is 5 channels.

gimli

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 am

Tavalin said:

masterluke said:

Tavalin said:

The OpenELEC version seems to cope a bit better (there's less stuttering but it still happens) and the video is encoded with h264 in an mkv.  1920 x 1080 resolution, 23.97 fps.   The audio is encoded using DTS and says 3F2R which i'm guessing is 5 channels.

With DTS software decoding we operate at the PI's limit. When the bitrate of the stream is getting to high you will get stutters.

There are two solution :

1.) Use passthrough

2.) Hope the Foundation is going to sell the extra codec pack.

Sorry that i have no better news in that case.

gimli

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:57 am

Tavalin said:

masterluke said:

Tavalin said:

In theory : Yes. Reality will show

dom

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:24 am

Also turn off "Adjust display refresh rate to match video". It doesn't currently work on all files, and produces a very stuttery output. It should be disabled for now.

Tavalin

Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:25 am

gimli said:

There are two solution :

1.) Use passthrough

2.) Hope the Foundation is going to sell the extra codec pack.

Sorry that i have no better news in that case.

In Systems > Audio output the passthrough device is set as hdmi...is that what you mean or is there another setting?

When I check the option 'receiver is capable of AC3' or DTS and try and watch the film the cpu usage drops to about 50% and the stuttering disappears.  The only problem then is that I'm not using an AV receiver and I doubt my TV knows what to do with those signals!

Still, at least it's good to know that it can handle the video side with no issues.

tomtor

Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 pm

I use the following script to convert .mkv files to 384k AC3 audio for playing on slower CPUs:

=====ac3batch===

for i in "[email protected]"

do

echo Processing "$i"

mkvextract tracks "$i" 2:audiosrc$$.dts

ffmpeg -i audiosrc$$.dts -acodec ac3 -ab 384k audio$$.mka

rm audiosrc$$.dts

mv "$i" "$i".org

mkvmerge -o "$i" --track-order 1:1,0:1 audio$$.mka -A "$i".org

rm audio$$.mka

done

abishur

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Okay shifting gears, I really want to try to cross compile this despite never have really trying before.  I get the gist of the of the instructions, but my hold up is on getting the getting the arm compiler.  Do I just need to do a git clone of the entire raspberrypi repository or do I need to build something once I have it?

henle

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Abishur said:

Okay shifting gears, I really want to try to cross compile this despite never have really trying before.  I get the gist of the of the instructions, but my hold up is on getting the getting the arm compiler.  Do I just need to do a git clone of the entire raspberrypi repository or do I need to build something once I have it?

Just clone the "tools" repo, the compiler is prebuilt.

abishur

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:26 am

henle said:

Abishur said:

Just clone the "tools" repo, the compiler is prebuilt.

Thanks!  I may have worked with source codes but git hub it a whole new world for me

abishur

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:47 am

I've never used nfs shares before and I'm a little confused on what I actually need to be doing  on that front.  I'd appreciate if anyone could expound on that front (though I think I got the rest of it all set up. Google's not being too illuminating but I'll keep searching there in the mean time

Kushan

Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:14 am

I'm a bit confused on the NFS front myself. Windows doesn't easily support it but I got FreeNFS running ok. The problem was I couldn't get my Pi to see it, when I selected NFS share it would freeze for a minute or two and then nothing.

Conversely, when I select SMB it freezes for a second and then displays the local WORKGROUP and lets me select the folders.

abishur

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Kushan said:

I'm a bit confused on the NFS front myself. Windows doesn't easily support it but I got FreeNFS running ok. The problem was I couldn't get my Pi to see it, when I selected NFS share it would freeze for a minute or two and then nothing.

Conversely, when I select SMB it freezes for a second and then displays the local WORKGROUP and lets me select the folders.

I'm actually working with two linux boxes, but I do have samba set up with them.  If I can go that route I might as well since I understand it.  The other thing I wasn't really getting with the directions at this part was which folder I was supposed to be linking to what I know there are supposed to be two in the long run, but the directions aren't overly clear on which two folders are supposed to be linked to which other two folders. (no offense dom )

MikeMelbAU

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:31 pm

I'm using the image "debian-xbmc-24-04-2012"... I realise it's not supported however does anyone else get videos ending prematurely within xbmc?

Hardware accelerated playback is working fine, however videos seem to end (stop playing) one to three minutes too early. I need to watch the video ends on my crappy netbook (lxde + smplayer).

I've extended the partition to nearly 4GB so space is not an issue. This occurs when playing video residing on an samba share (mounted within /etc/fstab) or on a USB2 local disk.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike-

abishur

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 pm

MikeMelbAU said:

I'm using the image "debian-xbmc-24-04-2012"... I realise it's not supported however does anyone else get videos ending prematurely within xbmc?

Hardware accelerated playback is working fine, however videos seem to end (stop playing) one to three minutes too early. I need to watch the video ends on my crappy netbook (lxde + smplayer).

I've extended the partition to nearly 4GB so space is not an issue. This occurs when playing video residing on an samba share (mounted within /etc/fstab) or on a USB2 local disk.

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Mike-

There's been an issue with network collisions with larger files causing kernel panics.  Your issue *might* be related.  The fix I got for the kernel panics was to go to the raspberry pi github and replace the kernel.img file in /boot with the one located here.  Just click on the button that says "raw" save the file and then get it onto /boot on the r-pi SD card.  I went ahead and made a .bak of the current kernel.img just for safety.

abishur

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 pm

1 step forward, 1 step back.  I think I'm all but ready to build it, but I have no idea where the xbmc-tarballs is supposed to come from.   Any hints?

MikeMelbAU

Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 pm

Abishur said: 

There's been an issue with network collisions with larger files causing kernel panics.  Your issue *might* be related.  The fix I got for the kernel panics was to go to the raspberry pi github and replace the kernel.img file in /boot with the one located here.  Just click on the button that says "raw" save the file and then get it onto /boot on the r-pi SD card.  I went ahead and made a .bak of the current kernel.img just for safety.

I have experienced the kernel panics - thus I moved my USB2 disk back onto the NAS. So thanks for the updated kernel image link. Much appreciated

Video playback does not cause kernel panics... the videos just end a couple of minutes too early. xbmc continues to respond and I can select other media to play.

Return to “Media centres”