mole125

Re: Bulding XBMC for Raspberry Pi

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm

ericball said:

One question I have is the ability to play back MPEG2 content, i.e. DVD ISOs or ATSC/DVB-T captures.  Or will that all have to be transcoded before I have any hope of playing it back?

The patent license fees were too high to enable MPEG support on the GPU, so it would have to be all software, better to convert it to H264 to get the native hardware support.

panomama

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:17 pm

ntadej said:

I can create a binary and publish it somewhere. Need to get my Pi first though (which should be any day now)

@Liam

I will happily provide 2 download servers for your binary and/or debian image with xbmc.

I have a dedicated server with 300mbps up and a paid webhost.

-Pano

liamfraser280

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:19 pm

It's okay guys - I administer the downloads server ! Plenty of capacity that I have access to. Will sort the image now. Sadly, when I copied it over from the SD card I forgot to preserve permissions so the build fs I used is a bit ruined. Not to worry - it won't take too long to sort out.

bob_binz

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Small and trivial point about Dom's instructions - presumably, the renaming of the init scripts should specify mv dest as ~/rootfs/... and not ~/mnt/... ?

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:41 pm

As long as you have a ~/mnt then my instructions are correct.

If you don't then ~/root will do.

(okay I've changed the instructions)

liamfraser280

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Dom,

Just to double check - the instruction "#sudo rm /usr/lib/libbz2.so" isn't needed because it's commented out right? I've done the "sudo ln -sf libbz2.so.1 libbz2.so" above instead.

Cheers,

Liam.

dom

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:22 pm

I don't think it is - I needed it when I first built it (many months ago), but didn't at the weekend. I've removed it from file.

ericball

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:27 pm

mole125 said:

The patent license fees were too high to enable MPEG support on the GPU, so it would have to be all software, better to convert it to H264 to get the native hardware support.

Acknowledged, but this has been known for ages.  What I haven't seen is a definitive statement from someone with actual hardware, e.g. "I tried to play back a DVD ISO of "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol" from a USB HDD, but it failed any time the bitrate got over 4Mbit/sec".

In addition, MPEG 4 part 10 AVC / H.264 has various Profiles which are feature sets a decoder may support, and levels which determine bitrates, picture sizes and buffer sizes.  (Furthermore, H.264 is a very complex codec so there may be specific features which a decoder does not support even though the spec says they should be supported for a given Profile.)  So there will need to be some work done to determine the limits of what Raspberry Pi will support even with H.264 encodes.

bob_binz

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:28 pm

another thing:

The command:

sudo ln -sf /home/dc4/rootfs /opt/bcm-rootfs

makes the rootfs folder (link) in bcm-rootfs, sosudo cp /usr/local/bcm-gcc/arm-bcm2708-linux-gnueabi/sys-root/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.14 /opt/bcm-rootfs/usr/lib

and

cd /opt/bcm-rootfs/usr/lib

doesn't work as written.

thexman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:45 pm

yes please

I"m afraid I don"t really have time to make a binary and write up instructions so until something better comes along, who wants me to make a debian image that includes a working copy of xbmc?

Please Pretty please please did i say please.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

thexman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:45 pm

yes please

I"m afraid I don"t really have time to make a binary and write up instructions so until something better comes along, who wants me to make a debian image that includes a working copy of xbmc?

Please Pretty please please did i say please.
one armed controls engineer, my grammar is bad but lets face it most keyboards don't suit a one armed man

Kushan

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:05 pm

A system image would be nice. Liam, have you had a chance to look at the OpenELEC code yet? I believe they've actually worked on more than just getting XBMC to compile and it might have less bugs/missing features than the raw XBMC code?

liamfraser280

Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:45 pm

Hi Kushan. I've not had time to look at OpenELEC's code and really the only reason I'm making an image is because it's easier to do than create a binary with instructions on how to get it going.

Deb panicked while I was installing packages and broke stuff Starting again...

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:17 pm

What a pity it"s not as simple as taking out you fully working SD card and creating an image from it, using suitable software.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Helpme1986

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 pm

texy said:

What a pity it"s not as simple as taking out you fully working SD card and creating an image from it, using suitable software.
Texy

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm there? Im sure Liam knows what he is doing (and is a bit of a perfectionist, i know I would prefer to wait than have a image which might/might not work!)

Buzzthebuzzsaw

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:20 pm

Ok at home again and ran through the steps to get xbmc to die.

The log created is available at:

http://pastebin.com/wdpAaVA4

I didn't see anything critical in there from what I can tell.

Let me know if there is something I've missed.

Thanks.

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:26 pm

texy said:

Texy

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm there? Im sure Liam knows what he is doing (and is a bit of a perfectionist, i know I would prefer to wait than have a image which might/might not work!)

No not all !!
I am assuming its not as easy as that, honestly.
For one thing I"m sure Liam needs to make it clinical, for want of a better word, which he probably didn"t do whilst he was going through the proving process.
Keep up the good work guys.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Helpme1986

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Sorry must have misread (i myself thought it was just a case of taking the working SD and creating a image of it using a something like win32diskimager but never done it myself so no idea)

Buzzthebuzzsaw

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:31 pm

EpWoody said:

Trying to compile using your instructions. A few small notes and an error.

- Curl needs to be installed.

- The toolchain may need to be editted in tools/rbp/setup-sdk.sh. Depending on where you"ve placed your toolchain.

The problem I run into is the following:

<pre>CPP xbmc/cores/omxplayer/OMXAudioCodecOMX.o<br />OMXAudioCodecOMX.cpp: In member function "void COMXAudioCodecOMX::BuildChannelMap()":<br />OMXAudioCodecOMX.cpp:313:27: error: "class DllAvCodec" has no member named "avcodec_guess_channel_layout"

Edit: I looks like they removed the declarations of that function, in lib/DllAvCodec.h Wonder why you didn"t recieved that error

Hi Ep,

I got the same error when I started from scratch on Saturday.  What was weird was that I didn't get the error when I tried a compile on Friday.  I figured that there was a change in the code after Friday that I picked up when I did the new clone from git.

Not sure if that's much help but thought I'd let you know.

liamfraser280

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Just letting you all know that I have a working image. You just have to log in with pi/raspberry and type xbmc. It's that easy. Doesn't look like flash drives and so on are automounted though so you'll have to do that manually before you load it up. It doesn't seem to exit very well either but this is only a rough image for you all to play with before something better like OpenELEC or Raspbmc comes along.

There is only something like 60MB of space left on the SD card lol!

Might not be ready for download till tomorrow night.

Cheers,

Liam.

panomama

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:53 pm

That long?

Awh.

Helpme1986

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Excellent thank you, will it only play content on the SD-Card it can it connect to NAS drives via Samba? cheers

liamfraser280

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 pm

I think samba will need extra work but not too sure - it will play content from a flash drive but I think you may have to mount the flash drive yourself (it's dead easy though - takes 2 secs)

thexman

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:21 pm

what size SD card will be needed in the first alpha + ruff version Liam .?

would we be able to transfer films from web content to the space left on the SD card assuming the card was larger than the one your recommending save mounting extra flash usb cards./.?

ntadej

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 pm

I also think that OpenELEC would be better for basic XBMC usage. Most of people don't need full Linux desktop installed or even running in background.

I'll try to build XBMC and OpenELEC as soon as possible with PVR support (after 1. 5. as I go on holiday).

Return to “Media centres”