I_scoff_cake

Can someone evaluate my NAS & media centre plan?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Ok I haven't actually got my raspberry yet but what I want to do is use one as a 'media player' type device, i.e run XBMC (or something similar) off it, AND use it as part of a NAS with two HDD's connected via USB to it and implement some sort of RAID-like functions.

I'm not sure if I can do this with one Raspberry or will I need two? I know I could run one with XBMC and HDD connected but I dunno if this will do the NAS and RAID-like functions too?

My confusion is about the nature of XBMC (or say Xbian). Is this basically an operating system in itself, or does it run as an app on Raspbian? I think I need both on the same machine to do what I want to do?

Thanks...sorry for the newbness. :)

blaziecat1103

Re: Can someone evaluate my NAS & media centre plan?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:55 pm

There's a version of XBMC called Rasbmc that's for the pi. It's an OS. For the hard drives, I don't know if you can do any sort of RAID in Rasbmc. You could possibly use a dual-drive external enclosure and set it up from another computer with whatever RAID settings you wanted, though.

teeth_03

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 pm

I wouldn't do it if you need other PCs to access the NAS while you are using XBMC. But its an great idea for a pair of Pis.

I_scoff_cake

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:41 pm

blaziecat1103 wrote:There's a version of XBMC called Rasbmc that's for the pi. It's an OS. For the hard drives, I don't know if you can do any sort of RAID in Rasbmc. You could possibly use a dual-drive external enclosure and set it up from another computer with whatever RAID settings you wanted, though.
Ah ok thanks for the advice. Some brief research tells me that I can get all the tools I need (such as rsync) with Xbian, so I will give it a shot with the single pi.

ecotec

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:38 pm

keep us updated how you get on with both running a media centre and a file server from the one pi - I am looking to do similar.
b raspbian running get-iplayer and mini dlna server
b+ running volumio
pi 2 - dietpi - pihole, ssh and a few other bits

Return to “Media centres”