BakaOsaka

USB DVD Drive with XBMC-Based distro?

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:48 am

Hey all.
I've recently bought a cheap, 2x USB powered DVD drive that I was hoping to use in combination with a powered hub on my Pi. It works fine on my Windows 7 and shows up as a standard DVD drive, however I've heard that XBMC for Raspberry Pi has optical drives disabled as default, as is hard to enable.
Has anyone had experience with this, or can advise me as to what I should do? Thanks!

stevepork

Re: USB DVD Drive with XBMC-Based distro?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:14 am

Hi,

It should just work as advertised. Depending on your distribution it should work fine, I know for certain Raspbmc would mount the drive automatically because it is based upon Debian. The issue I have is that I dont know if the Pi woudl be capable of playing a DVD. I dont know much about this but I remember the XP days when you had to use codecs and needed a resonable processor. (Remember the Pi is ARM and hasn't much power.)

Hope this helps and please let me know if it works.

ghans

Re: USB DVD Drive with XBMC-Based distro?

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Is RaspBMC shipping with DeCSS ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Return to “Media centres”