richiepp

PiPresents Video?

Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Hey All,
I've been playing around with pipresents created by Ken T https://github.com/KenT2/pipresents . I'm going to use it for our non profit bike shop here in Boulder.

I've got the basic setup up and running but still have a lot of questions. It looks like Ken has done a lot of incredible work so far but I'm finding it hard to get my head around the scope of what this thing can do. I would love to see a video that showcases the functionality of pipresents. And of course it would be great to have a tutorial video as well.

All in all it looks like pipresents will fit most of our needs but I would like to see another feature. I'd like to have the ability to show webpages as part of the slideshow. This way I can create a "dashboard" to display dynamic content like upcoming events, schedules and announcements.

Ken are you considering this kind of functionality for future releases? If not can I request it?

Ride On!
Rich

KenT

Re: PiPresents Video?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:41 am

Funny you should say that; I'm having trouble getting my head around what it can do, I'm finding I can do things I never thought of when I wrote it. :shock:

I think Pi Presents is too flexible to make a video, it would takes hours to show and weeks to make. However I am just putting together an introductory mediashow which I will video sometime. Also I am hoping one of the Raspberry Pi websites will do an interview.

I am getting together a blog with the aim of asking people who have used Pi Presents to tell us what they used it for and some hints and tips on how they constructed their application. pipresents.wordpress.com (under construction)

A simple web browser is on my list of things to do, however there is an alternative:

A Liveshow can be be used to display dynamic content which can be updated remotely. Just use Gimp or Powerpoint to prepare slides and save them as jpg's. If you want interactivity you can run a liveshow from a menu which could interrupt a mediashow (child show)

In the beta of 1.2.1 liveshows can be run at specific times of day and have defined durations so they can be part of a continuous mediashow.
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

richiepp

Re: PiPresents Video?

Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks Ken!
Yeah I understand the challenges of making a video, I like your idea of putting together a blog and calling on pipresents users to share how they're using it.

For us dynamic content would need to come from our database through a web page, here are some examples of how we would use this.

Volunteers needed this coming Saturday 4

Earn-A-Bike class schedule
2 openings Sunday 9a.m.-Noon
6 openings Monday 1-4p.m.
6 openings Tuesday 6:30-9:30p.m.
This class is full Thursday 6:30-9:30p.m.

This Saturday mornings workshop is Brakes & Derailleurs taught by Jane & Jo Smith

Bikes donated this year 2000

Earn-A-Bike graduates this month/year 250

The idea is that the web page dashboard would display after X number of jpg slides have gone by.

Thanks again Ken! I'll keep playing around and getting familiar with what you've created so far. I hope to go live with it in the next couple of weeks. I'll be sure to share when I do.

Ride On!
Rich

Return to “Media centres”