jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Cannot find option to turn off subtitles [OpenELEC]

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Hello all,

I've using the latest OpenELEC wirelessly and playing stuff from a Humax HDR Fox T2. But everything I play from there has subtitles. Playing same file using VLC on desktop - no subtitles. Playing file from a different dnla source (my desktop top running mediatomb) - no subtitles. Only seems to be stuff stream from the Humax. Also, usually about 1/2s late as well. Not sure if they are being added by the Raspi or the Humax at source.

I've tried the subtitle button on the Samsung remote (It's a SS TV) - nothing, although other buttons do control the Pi fine using CEC. Also tried the subtitle option in XBMC, but it says there are no subtitles!

Anyone any ideas? Happy to disable them completely as we have no need of them at all.

James
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

azeam

Re: Cannot find option to turn off subtitles [OpenELEC]

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Found this on the forum, written by the user milhouse, don't use OpenELEC myself so I don't know if it works: "Start a movie, go into "Audio - Settings", untick "Enable subtitles", click on "Set as default for all movies"

jamesh

Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Cheers, I'll give that a go when its not so late (the TV is in the bedroom!)

James
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

frying_fish

Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am

I found that I had to adjust the settings for cec for my samsung tv. Follow this blog to update your remote to include all the buttons:

http://blog.jl42.de/2013/01/changed-rem ... h-raspbmc/

After I updated my cec remote mapping, the blue button on the samsung remote was what I needed to turn subtitles off. It appears to be on by default, and there is probably an option somewhere to go turn them off by default.

This is what I have in my remote.xml and does all the functions I've needed so far:

<!-- Configuration file for driving CEClib remote -->
<keymap>
<global>
<remote>
<green>Info</green>
<yellow>ContextMenu</yellow>
<blue>XBMC.ActivateWindow(Favourites)</blue>
</remote>
</global>
<FullscreenVideo>
<remote>
<select>OSD</select>
<green>Info</green>
<yellow>CodecInfo</yellow>
<blue>NextSubtitle</blue>
</remote>
</FullscreenVideo>
</keymap>

Dilligaf

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:21 pm

With a video playing hit the OK/select button, scroll right to the round speaker button and select it, click on disable subtitles, scroll to bottom and click on save as default.

jamesh

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:09 am

Thanks for the help - it was the audio options button I was missing.

Main problem I've found using the PI and the Humax as a DNLA source is lack of fast forward for those pesky adverts. Anyone any ideas?

gordon77

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:16 am

jamesh wrote:Hello all,

I've using the latest OpenELEC wirelessly and playing stuff from a Humax HDR Fox T2. But everything I play from there has subtitles. Playing same file using VLC on desktop - no subtitles. ...

James
I don't use openelec (yet) but are you recording from the humax or can you get the recorded files from it ?

Gordon77

jamesh

Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:28 am

gordon77 wrote:
jamesh wrote:Hello all,

I've using the latest OpenELEC wirelessly and playing stuff from a Humax HDR Fox T2. But everything I play from there has subtitles. Playing same file using VLC on desktop - no subtitles. ...

James
I don't use openelec (yet) but are you recording from the humax or can you get the recorded files from it ?

Gordon77
Just playing back files that were recorded on the Humax. As above, subtutles, sorted, just no ff or rewind - buttons seem to do something, but not the actually action required. Pause/Play works ok. I think this may be a known issue with XBMC/Raspi/Humax.

kobalttheklown

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks Jamesh,
Been trying to work this one out...bloody subtitles!!! Anyway, it did the trick, thanks again Sir.

Inky-

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:10 pm

Dilligaf wrote:With a video playing hit the OK/select button, scroll right to the round speaker button and select it, click on disable subtitles, scroll to bottom and click on save as default.
Thanks for the info.

Phill Rymer

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:50 pm

jamesh wrote:Thanks for the help - it was the audio options button I was missing.

Main problem I've found using the PI and the Humax as a DNLA source is lack of fast forward for those pesky adverts. Anyone any ideas?
just clicl the bar infront of the coloured bar moves to were you click it

Return to “Media centres”