castalla

Updating LMS 7.7.2 to 7.8

Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:58 am

I used the excellent All Things Pi guide to instal LMS 7.7.2 : http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com/lms.php

If I wanted to update to LMS 7.8 would this be simply be a case of installing the 7.8 deb package ?

Cloudcentric

Re: Updating LMS 7.7.2 to 7.8

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 am

I know everything about nothing"

castalla

Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks. I know 7.8 is a nightly update.

I was more concerned about having to modify the symbolic links given in the allthings routine.

castalla

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 am

Do NOT attempt this at home!

I did a deb install of 7.8 - it all looks good (no error messages) BUT the server falls over badly (starts . dies ... starts . dies ... etc)

There is no easy way back - only a complete reimaging gets 7.7.2 back!

castalla

Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:45 am

Update 1

If you use the squeezeplug LMS installer routine then updating to 7.8 works.

(I will use the althingspi routine on a separate Raspian install and report back the results)

Update 2

If you want to update the allthingspi Raspian install, then you have to repeat the whole routine (replace the .deb command with 7.8). The update then works.

Simply doing a dpkg -i newLMS.deb is not sufficient.

.helge

Sat May 04, 2013 10:31 am

castalla wrote:Update 1

If you use the squeezeplug LMS installer routine then updating to 7.8 works.

(I will use the althingspi routine on a separate Raspian install and report back the results)

Update 2

If you want to update the allthingspi Raspian install, then you have to repeat the whole routine (replace the .deb command with 7.8). The update then works.

Hi Castella,

yesterday I read your posts in the slimdevices forum. And as 7.8 seemed quiete stable from the discussion there, I decided to give it a try.

Thanks for the pre-work on this! I wanted to provide a more detailed description for the upgrade process in case someone wants to try Version 7.8 and thus participate in testing that Version
The SP seutp utility offers the possibility to copy paste a link to a different LMS Version, which works great. But for "mass production" my approach was to modify the squeezeplug script, which works just fine for me.
The upgrade process requires uninstalling LMS V7.7.2 prior to installing V7.8.x:

login as root
backup all settings

Code: Select all

cp -r /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/* <your backup directory>
open /SP/scripts/lms.sh with an editor of your choice (I use Winscp's internal editor)
goto line 121 where you'll find this string:

FULLPATH="http://downloads.slimdevices.com/LogitechMediaServer_v7.7.2/logitechmediaserver_7.7.2_all.deb"
replace the link between the quotes with what ever link to a version or nightly build you prefer.
run the SP setup utility
uninstall LMS (uninstalls Version 7.7.2)
install LMS (new version will be installed)
replace seetings with the ones from the backup

cp -r <your backup directory>/*  /var/lib/squeezeboxserver/prefs/
restart LMS or the RPi
start listening to musik with version 7.8.x[/color]

ciao,
Helge

EDIT: added command for backup/ restore LMS setting files

mortie79

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:59 am

Update 2

I've tried the above but I get:
sudo patch /usr/share/perl5/Slim/bootstrap.pm lms-rpi-bootstrap.patch
patching file /usr/share/perl5/Slim/bootstrap.pm
Hunk #1 FAILED at 115.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file /usr/share/perl5/Slim/bootstrap.pm.rej
Is there a more recent patch?

castalla

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 pm

As far as I know, there is no need to follow any of the allthingspi routines as recent versions of LMS are Pi compatible.

Try just doing a dpkg -i [nightlydownload]

Michielo

Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:58 am

Castalla,

I'm trying to install LMS v7.8.1 on an RPI running Raspbmc using the All Things Pi how-to for Rasbian (Raspbmc being a modded raspbian distribution).

I encountered the same problem as the patch error described above.

Now, I'm a bit confused about the msg in your last post and your post of March 12, 2013.

In your March 2013 post you wrote:

In your last post of June 2014 you wrote:
As far as I know, there is no need to follow any of the allthingspi routines as recent versions of LMS are Pi compatible.

Try just doing a dpkg -i [nightlydownload]
I am aware the approximately 1 year has passed between both post, but I just wanted some clarity.

To install (fresh install so no update) do I need to follow the All Things Pi how-to (and if so, all steps or just some of them) or is it just a matter of downloading and installing the v7.8.1 deb package?

Thanks for your response.

Kind regards,

Michielo

castalla

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:21 pm

Sorry. No idea.

Why not just try the dpkg -i lms.deb - see if it works?

Return to “Media centres”