trunk

Raspberry Pi controlled HDMI Switcher

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 pm

So I've hacked up a low cost HDMI switcher so that it talks to the Raspberry Pi via I2C and in the future RS-232. There is a small python script that talks to the switcher and sets it up. I did this because I couldn't find any HDMI switcher that gives feedback or can automatically switch to an input after a certain timeout.
Is this something I should try to make a product?
Is anyone interested?
Making a mod kit is fairly easy but the soldering requires some surface mount work. Making a whole new raspberry pi HDMI switcher will be pricey but its do-able with the support of the community. I'm at the crossroads right now where I either keep it as something in-house or work on it a bunch to bring it to the mainstream. I'm looking for feedback.

Here are the features so far:
* Programmable to automatically switch back to a particular port after disconnect or x seconds
* Upon active port disconnect will return to last active channel if channel is still active
* Programmable to do round-robin style switching after x seconds
* Auto-switch to next added device
* All auto-switching features can be turned off and hence only respond to a host command
* Feedback to host as with current connected ports, current active port, timeout left and current mode
* Free Python libraries to control it via a Raspberry Pi or other device
* External trigger to allow for an analog to HDMI converter to be joined with the system
* I2C/RS232(future) communications
* Non-volatile storage for preferences and to run in standalone mode(future)
* Switcher firmware update-able (possibly)

Joshkitson

Re: Raspberry Pi controlled HDMI Switcher

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:18 pm

I'd be very interested in this.
I was searching google for exactly this, and unfortunately this is the only page that's come up.

It would allow using a different HDMI source for screen savers etc..

I'm guessing by the lack of responses you haven't much interest?

jamison

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:59 am

I'm very interested in this project. If love to get some info on how I can get involved if your still wiring on it. If not and you have any info on a similar project I'd appreciate anything you can share. Thanks.

Jamie

rekinnect

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 pm

Hi, I am very interested in your HDMI switcher, did you proceed with this project and if not are you open to advising on how I could duplicate your work?

My needs are simple. At minimum a 2 in and 1 out HDMI switch that can be controlled by a program (e.g. Python) to select which input is directed to the output HDMI.

Also, if you did not proceed, have you sen anything close to this?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help you can provide.

T

djeusty

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi, what is with your project? I want a switch like this and it would be very kind to help me to find it. Thanks

gramkeel

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 pm

I would be interested in something like this as well. Would there be a way of changing settings instead of them being fixed? Like timeout, default port, etc... like a user gui of some sort?

Another idea, maybe a way to wirelessly switch ports, like you switch to a chrome box, you do some stuff, then switch back and watch some tv, then switch and do whatever....

I was just searching for such a device that had an onscreen gui that would switch to the device you want once you setup the switches and would have an optical output for surround system and was wondering if such a thing existed.

Jimv

Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:23 pm

I am interested in this. Have you made any of these? Thanks.

jkhickey41313

Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:11 pm

I am trying to do this using an HTML webpage with PHP to control a 4x4 hdmi switcher. I have never used PHP, and am looking for any suggestions regarding this. The HDMI switcher is connected using a serial cable. I am truly stuck on where to even begin with the PHP code. PLEASE HELP!!!

Return to “Media centres”