taoofdre

miracast / airplay / bluetooth streamer

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 pm

I'm new. Be easy on me.

As someone who has both iOS and Android devices and really doesn't watch much traditional TV (traditional meaning via cable or OTA digital signal), am curious what the feasibility is of using the Raspberry Pi to:

- be a miracast receiver (it's kinda been done via Android Transporter!) AND
- be an airplay receiver (it's also been done!) AND
- connect a bluetooth USB key to act as a bluetooth audio streamer (done!)

Since the components of this ask are possible, the real magic would be having a very simple UI (literally just a still image with a generic TV icon), quick booting, and "collision management" between airplay/miracast/bluetooth signals. By collision management, I mean: if one user is streaming to the device from their ipad via airplay, bluetooth or miracast could not override that signal until the ipad is disconnected (and vice versa x2).

Other element of the UI would be "enabling device" dialogue for miracast, as well as the bluetooth pairing code for audio streaming.

I don't have time (or currently, the expertise) to do this, but wouldn't mind to begin a campaign to pool money (or help create a kickstarter) to pay for someone who has interest/time in taking this on. I could also take the requisite woodworking class to create a badass case for this type of Pi. :)

Re: miracast / airplay / bluetooth streamer

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:45 am

Hi, what is your email?
I am interested in this project!

PiBen42

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi,

I really hope that there will be a Miracast Shield someday.

Here is what I know so far:
  • I know that Airplay is already possible using the XBMC OS
  • I also know that Bluetooth only has the data transfer capacity to transfer audio data, but as it get's to newer versions I expect this will improve with time.
It sounds to me that Miracast may have to be hardware integrated into a device rather than just software, as I noticed with the HTC One having that feature, and the HTC One X not having it despite simular Specs (Maybe it need the 1GB extra RAM that the One has...

This would be an amazingly useful technology for the Raspberry Pi, and even better is that Miracast does a REVERSE display, meaning if you want to watch something that is not watchable on your tv because something else is being watched, you can watch it on your Miracast Device:

IE: TV showing Quiz Show, kids decide to watch cartoon, you hand them remote to keep them quiet...

pop out your handheld device (you can run a Pi from an emergency USB/solar charger)...
browse the channels on you Miracast capable TV, and get it to stream that channel directly to your handheld device's screen!

WOW! :shock: :D

so your wife could be watching her thing while you plug your earphones in and watch Home Improvement or RT, etc (no sexist intentions)

p4trykx

Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:38 am

From what I read at wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast
I think that Miracast does not work over IP network it has to be directly connected over WiFi so Raspi would need at least a supported WiFi dongle.

PiBen42

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 am

p4trykx wrote:From what I read at wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast
I think that Miracast does not work over IP network it has to be directly connected over WiFi so Raspi would need at least a supported WiFi dongle.
Thanks for the info @p4trykx :D

kurtfarrar

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Did you ever find out if this was possible? I've been looking at buying a Raspberry Pi for this exact reason. I found the same thing, that AirPlay was achievable through raspbmc, and like someone else commented, that it would likely need a hardware compatible WiFi dongle, I'm happy to get the dongle, but wondered whether there was already any software available, and if not, what was required to achieve it.

I'm typically a Windows/Microsoft programmer (C#) so programming for the Pi would be new for me, and I have no idea of it's capabilities or where to start, but if I know it's achievable, I'm interested to 'have a go' as it were.

p4trykx

Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:16 pm

I think making miracast on Raspi i not possible at least the part with the encryption. It's like with DVDs ant other closed formats. But maybe we just have to wait for next DVDJohn ;-).

ghans

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 pm

Miracast is partly hardware-based (or "firmware") AFAIK.
XBMC does NOT support Airplay Mirroring. A commercial
offer realises this on the Pi , they are currently looking for
testers.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

e97

Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to solve this problem!

This is what I'm working on: getsugarcube.com

We built our prototype on a Pi but sadly we need hardware changes to support Airplay, Miracast, DLNA and Chromecast.

esilicon labs

Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:30 pm

Hi Everyone,
We are trying to implement the miracast on raspi,we stuck with HDCP(not implemented on Pi).Is it possible to perform miracast on PI without any hardware changes(on all mobiles)...

e97

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:03 am

Update: The RPi3 has the necessary hardware features (http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/qu ... -fi-direct) and there is an open-source project for Miracast: https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast

The developer got it working! See for a screenshot: https://github.com/albfan/miraclecast/i ... -231524747

There will be an image available for testing soon, if you're interested, please leave a message here in this thread :)

Return to “Media centres”