dennispi

XBMC, Do you guys ever turn off your Pi?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm just waiting for my Pi to arrive in the mail :D , my question is I want to make my Pi dedicated to XBMC only. I was curious if you guys ever turn off your PIs or do you just leave it on 24/7? I tried researching but I'm getting a lot of mixed answers. Also a lot of people mentioning the SD card wearing out quick if the PI is on 24/7. What is quick? I don't mind changing the SD card every year or two.

Thanks so much!!

RobHenry

Re: XBMC, Do you guys ever turn off your Pi?

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:42 pm

I have a pi dedicated to xbmc (with the openelec os) permanently switched on hanging from a cable behind my TV. It only goes down for a reboot if it's playing up or for a software update.

SD card wear is presumably caused by the amount of i/o, not uptime (but I am no expert in that area!).

Trixster

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:09 am

24/7

XBMC is installed on a USB stick so the SD card gets minimal usage.

mathewjenkinson

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Trixster, How do you do that?
I take it you boot SD card and then hand over to a USB stick for the OS and XBMC?

Can you post a how to?

Many thanks!
Mathew
Trixster wrote:24/7

ski522

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am

And why wouldn't wear on a USB stick not apply? Most sticks I know use the same NAND.

I've been here since September and outside of the occasional corruption of an SD card...mostly due to improper shutdown (ie just pulling the plug) I've seen few post of people complaining their SD card was destroyed because of I/O writes.

DevonPaul

Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:56 pm

I have just spent DAYS configuring my RPi. Next step = XBMC. I was gutted to find that the preferred options appear to Raspbmc or OpenELEC which both are a 'from scratch' build :cry:

I have a hard drive for media in a USB connected enclosure so the ability to install XBMC to a partition on that would be fantastic.

As a NooB to *nux I would truly appreciate ANY pointers on how to achieve this.

Regards, Paul.

RobHenry

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:55 pm

DevonPaul wrote: I have just spent DAYS configuring my RPi. Next step = XBMC. I was gutted to find that the preferred options appear to Raspbmc or OpenELEC which both are a 'from scratch' build :cry:

I have a hard drive for media in a USB connected enclosure so the ability to install XBMC to a partition on that would be fantastic.

As a NooB to *nux I would truly appreciate ANY pointers on how to achieve this.

Regards, Paul.
It's very simple on openelec, if you have a spare sd card:

1. Create the openelec image on the sd card using the standard technique for your platform (linux & the create_sd script is quick and simple, and could be done from raspbian if you unmount the /boot partition and swap out the sd card - don't know about windows or mac).

2. Format an ext4 partition on your USB drive and give it a label of Storage. gparted is the most user friendly way to do this from a linux system and can be run from the raspbian desktop (once you've installed it using sudo apt-get install gparted).

3. edit cmdline.txt in the fat partition of the openelec sd card to change disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to disk=/dev/sda1 (or whatever the new partition shows up as - might be sda% or sdb% if you have multiple usb drives attached, where % is the partition number).

4. Boot with sd card inserted into the pi and usb drives inserted exactly as they were when you identified the usb partition name in raspbian.

I don't use raspbmc but seem to recall reading that the most recent release allows you to install the ext4 partition to usb but don't quote me on that.

There is also a tool named berryboot that allows you to install multiple distros on the same sd card and choose to install the rootfs to a usb drive - I haven't used it so can't comment but I'm sure someone will be along soon to sing its praises.

tbr

Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:33 pm

I only turn mine on when I want to watch something, I would leave it on all the time but for some reason my external drive will not spin down so I have to turn it all off (running Raspbmc).

rey

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:43 am

Every day. Mostly because it's powered from the USB port on my TV.

DevonPaul

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:33 pm

RobHenry wrote:It's very simple on openelec, if you have a spare sd card:

1. Create the openelec image on the sd card using the standard technique for your platform (linux & the create_sd script is quick and simple, and could be done from raspbian if you unmount the /boot partition and swap out the sd card - don't know about windows or mac).

2. Format an ext4 partition on your USB drive and give it a label of Storage. gparted is the most user friendly way to do this from a linux system and can be run from the raspbian desktop (once you've installed it using sudo apt-get install gparted).

3. edit cmdline.txt in the fat partition of the openelec sd card to change disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to disk=/dev/sda1 (or whatever the new partition shows up as - might be sda% or sdb% if you have multiple usb drives attached, where % is the partition number).

4. Boot with sd card inserted into the pi and usb drives inserted exactly as they were when you identified the usb partition name in raspbian.

I don't use raspbmc but seem to recall reading that the most recent release allows you to install the ext4 partition to usb but don't quote me on that.

There is also a tool named berryboot that allows you to install multiple distros on the same sd card and choose to install the rootfs to a usb drive - I haven't used it so can't comment but I'm sure someone will be along soon to sing its praises.
Thank you for the advice. It sounds workable apart from me losing a weeks work setting up a working environment.

Openelec? Quite a lot of forum posts refer to high CPU utilisation compared to RaspBMC. Is it possible to do the same with RaspBMC?

goujam

Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:35 am

With raspbmc USB install is easy you just use the windows installer and tick the box for USB install. The put the SD card and USB stick in the pi and turn it on USB install is done automatic.

I use a ir plug that turns the pi on when I want to use it and off when I'm finished

zardoz66

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 am

mine is on a 24/7 just use SDcard.
Zardoz
Raspberry Pi 3 | Raspbian Jessie | 32GB Samsung EVO+ | D-Link 7 port USB HUB | Sabrent CRW-EXT 6-Slot Card Reader | 64GB USB Storage. Other RPi's - 2x RPi1b, 1x Rpi1b+ 1x Rpi2b, 2x Rpi3b
Join us on IRC #raspberrypi at https://webchat.freenode.net/

Return to “Media centres”