pocster

Openelec and usb audio

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi all,

Am I correct this isn't possible???. i.e. no ALSA so no aplay so no XBMC/Openelec support?
I googled and it seemed this was suggested; just want to verify!

thanks!

Cloudcentric

Re: Openelec and usb audio

Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Yes the OpenElec and Raspbmc do not support alsa and therefore USB. AFAIAA

Maybe the answer could be to install Raspbian ensure the USB Audio is working, and then install XBMC from the Raspbian reposiotry ?
I know everything about nothing"

drgeoff

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Raspbmc does support USB audio. You need to enable the Audio Engine. (It does come with the warning : be aware of very rough edges).

Programs, Raspbmc Settings, System Configuration, 3rd radio button under System Upgrades.

Then System, Settings, System, Audio Output.

However some USB sound cards have problems with the RPi's USB system as at the time of writing this. I do get good results with the PCM2704 DAC board that is available on ebay and elsewhere for approx £13/$20/16Euro.

pocster

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Thanks!
Audio engine does indeed now show USB output. But no sound :-( . I also notice the spectrum analyser does not move i.e. no sound is being generated.
What should audio output be set at? it's neither hdmi or optical/coax ....

thanks

pocster

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:24 pm

Still fiddling with this.
Can't get any output from usb dac - but as said; the spectrum analzyer does nothing!!! - suggesting no audio is being produced. Using latest Raspbmc build.
Anyone who has got it working can you let me know exactly what you did! :oops: :oops: :oops:

thanks in advance

drgeoff

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:33 pm

pocster wrote:Thanks!
Audio engine does indeed now show USB output. But no sound :-( . I also notice the spectrum analyser does not move i.e. no sound is being generated.
What should audio output be set at? it's neither hdmi or optical/coax ....

thanks
Optical/coax setting gives audio from my PCM2704 USB DAC even though the visualizer shows nothing.

pocster

Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Hmmmm,

This is what I thought.
I got no audio out. Also pi was running dead slow with AE enabled.
Also, at the end of a track (assuming you choose an album to play) Raspmbmc would always crash and back to the 'relax' screen.
Mind you AE does suggest it is 'rough'...........

:(

akayz

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:45 pm

drgeoff wrote:Raspbmc does support USB audio. You need to enable the Audio Engine. (It does come with the warning : be aware of very rough edges).

Programs, Raspbmc Settings, System Configuration, 3rd radio button under System Upgrades.

Then System, Settings, System, Audio Output.

However some USB sound cards have problems with the RPi's USB system as at the time of writing this. I do get good results with the PCM2704 DAC board that is available on ebay and elsewhere for approx £13/$20/16Euro.
I've just received this exact board, could you tell me how I could go about installing it? Thanks.

jr00n

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:31 am

Hi, i've also bought at AliExpress.com the PCM2704 DAC board.
But can't get it working. I'm using the last RaspBmc.
Choose the setting of audio engne and i see in the DMESG log and lsmod that usb_audio is loaded. Even i can get the analog out on the board working (not so loud, but working) if i choose in XBMC:
System - Settings Audio: Audio Output device: USB Audio DAC Analog Stereo (PulseAudio)
But when i choose at the first entry: Audio Output Optical/Coax instead of HDMI, i can't get any sound out of my DAC.
Also i've noticed that i can't choose a value on the option: Passthrough output device. It only displays Defaults (Pulse Audio)
I've checked DTS and AC3 capable receiver because my amp can handle those protocols.

Does anybody have some suggestions? I really would like to have it get working...it looks i'm close

Regards,

jr00n

DerHuette

Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Any news about usb audio?

As described above, I enabled the audio engine but as Audio Output Devices there is still only HDMI and Analog. I use a Behringer UCA202 that works fine with mpd that I installed on the same raspbmc...

Thank you in advance,
DerHuette

milhouse

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:41 am

I realise this is an old thread, but if you're still interested in ALSA on OpenELEC you can try this test version...

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?ti ... pid1617155

Yggdrasil

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:20 am

milhouse wrote:I realise this is an old thread, but if you're still interested in ALSA on OpenELEC you can try this test version...

Hi,

I tried out this and the newer version from Feb 21. Should this also work without an external usb sound card? I can't hear sound if I select the new output device in Xbmc. Running aplay over ssh is mute, too.

Regards Yggdrasil

milhouse

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Yggdrasil wrote:
milhouse wrote:I realise this is an old thread, but if you're still interested in ALSA on OpenELEC you can try this test version...

Hi,

I tried out this and the newer version from Feb 21. Should this also work without an external usb sound card? I can't hear sound if I select the new output device in Xbmc. Running aplay over ssh is mute, too.

Regards Yggdrasil
You're probably better off posting in the XBMC thread as Dom is active there and will no doubt appreciate some ALSA feedback/testing help as he doesn't have any hardware himself so is dependent on people such as yourself to help out with testing.

Return to “Media centres”