sandoz

rasp as dedicated bradcast hdmi player

Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 am

we are a small local tv station that are looking for a new wat to broadcast our live events.
For the encoding part we are planning to buy a minicaster, and for the decoding/player we have been offered a dedicated hdmi player, that 24/7 listens for a stream from the minicaster

I would say something similar should be possible with a rpi, a around 10% of the price for the hdmi player and 1% of the pricce for a professional solution

anyone got an idea about this?
i tied to play the various stream with xmbc, and that works without any problems

sandoz

Re: rasp as dedicated bradcast hdmi player

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:37 am

anyone got an idea how to start?

ghans

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:38 am

1) What IS your problem ?
2) You've only waited a half hour :D

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Jim JKla

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:48 am

ghans wrote:1) What IS your problem ?
2) You've only waited a half hour :D

ghans
I think like most media people he expects there to be a ready made answer in the box to unwrap.

There's a lot of people who think the RPi is a ready to market solution not a education/development platform.

There is an expectation that their solution will be found without a degree of input from their end.

There is also a blindness to the fact that doing some digging and finding their own answers will give them an advantage over the competition.

Once the Educational release is on the shelf they will be able to go to a school and sponsor a project for pocket money (relativley speaking) but for the time being the patince sub routine in their brain has ben usurped by the quick fix program. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

sandoz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 am

half hour? i waited 2 days

sandoz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:09 am

i don't expect a ready made pack, i just would like to hear some suggestions on what software to try

Cloudcentric

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:54 am

I do not know if this works with the XBMC versions available

http://code.google.com/p/navi-x

http://www.xbmchub.com/forums/general-n ... avi-x.html
I know everything about nothing"

ghans

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 am

Jim means well , but he distracted from my question :
I'm not sure what you want.

omxplayer works with streams.
Qt (a GUI toolkit) has hardware-acceleration and
can even work without X11.

All common media players like VLC , mplayer , totem and xine
do not work well on the Pi.

XBMC can be remote-controlled , but the API has been
changed recently.

Custom solutions will need knowledge of the OpenMAX API.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Jim JKla

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:34 am

Sorry about the distraction.
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

sandoz

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:12 am

ill try to explain a little better
we have a small tv station, and are looking for a way to broadcast from various locations in our city.
After some research we think streaming with a dedicated streamer is the best(and affordable) option. The encoder will be the http://www.minicaster.com.
It produces an udp stream at a certain port from various locations.
For this we also need a decoder or player. There are professional solutions for that, but they cost a LOT of money($5000). Basically these are linux boxes(i think) that play the stream from the minicaster on their hdmi output.
I think that we can also use a cheap RPI for this. The RPI should be running 24/7 and 'listening' on for instance port 10000 for a udp stream from the minicaster. When a stream from the minicaster comes in, it should start decoding or playing that stream, so we switch our hdmi input to the RPI, and we have live footage from nearly every location with internet

ghans

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:55 am

I was looking for what transport protocol you are using , and found it in the manual.
MPEG2-Transportstream (ISO/IEC 13818-1) encapsulated in RTP (RFC 3550) including Audio (AAC)
and video (H.264) or RTMP with limitations in bandwith (appr. 2 Mbit/s)
h.264 is not a problem for the Pi (at full HD, 30 FPS). About the encapsulation i'm not sure.
If omxplayer doesn't work with that , you should at least be able to use mplayer and named pipes.

ghans

Return to “Media centres”