radug612

Re: Netflix on Raspbmc

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:35 am

I thought I'd ask the same question of Netflix and this is what I got back from them:

"Are there any plans to allow Netflix to run on a Raspberry Pi computer?

That is a great question! Just to make sure we are on the same page. That is that the little box that connects to the TV?

Yes, that is correct

I have seen it before, and it looks like such a nifty little device. Would you mind giving me one moment while I look into that for you?

Sure

Thank you for your patience I really appreciate it. I was looking into this, and at the moment we do not support that device. Hakuna Matata (it means no worries) We are always looking to expand the devices that we are on. If you do not mind can I make a note on your account so the team is aware that you use this devices? With that we can out some pressure on the team to start developing the site for that device. We are always looking for customer feedback on devices that we should be on Netflix.

Thanks for your reply. yes, please add the note to my account.

Great! I have done so now for you, and I. Is there anything else I could assist you with today?

No, that is all, thanks.

It was a pleasure chatting with you, and one more thing, if you wouldn't mind, please stay online for a one question survey. You're welcome, I'm delighted that I could assist you. Enjoy the rest of your day and may the force be with you."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suppose now that Disney own the Star Wars franchise, the mixing of the Lion King and SW quotes is acceptable? :D :lol:

ghans

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm

That happens if you let interns c̶o̶d̶e̶ do the
customer service b̶a̶b̶b̶l̶e̶b̶o̶t̶ . LOL.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

malakai

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm

I don't know a million requests from a million Pi owners might change their mind. When Family Guy was canceled people sent new diapers into the studio execs so Stewie didn't go without. It came back.

Maybe a million pics of blank tv screens connected to a Pi saying too bad I am not watching Netflix right now :( might persuade them :D
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

kiki

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:56 am

Hi all,

I'm a new raspberry user since 2 weeks and i just want to know if we can use netflix on the raspberry.
I need it to watch a TV channel on a website.
Is there a how to guide or something like that?

TYhanks in advanced

Best regards,

Eric

ghans

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm

The situation has not changed.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

kiki

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:04 am

Hi Ghans,

Thanks for your reply.
The situation has not changed but there is still someone how has run netflix on his Rpi?

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:23 am

No

ijustatemystash

Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Hope to see this one day.
Feature your projects - www.raspberryp.com

raspberrypiomane

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:36 am

It is possible, with a few caveats:

Use the Plex Media Server - unlike Playon, it's free. As far as I know, the server needs to be able to play Netflix though. I use Windows 7 as the Plex Media Server, I don't know if using the Netflix-on-Ubuntu workaround will get this done as well, but I doubt it. There are PMS builds for Linux.

You will need to install the Netflix Addon on the PMS and the Plexbmc Addon on the Pi.

In the Plexbmc options set "always transcode" to true.

This worked on my setup with Openelec on a B-model Raspberry Pi - should work with any XBMC-on-Raspberry-Pi setup though.

Of course, this still means a second server running Windows 7 needs to be on for streaming and currently the Netflix Addon for PMS only works in the USA.

macxcool

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Actually, the plexmediaserver netflix plugin does work in Canada (and possibly elsewhere). It's just hidden in a section reserved for plugins that don't work in your region. It's just not in the regular list of plugins.

raspberrypiomane

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm

You can install it, but you will only be able to stream content which is available in the USA.

Kmccreight

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:17 pm

As you can already watch Netflix on Android phones, it's not surprising that you can also watch it on Chromebooks. The Android OS already has the innards (pronounced "DRM") necessary to run Netflix.

I really don't know if the effort to get the Android OS working on the Pi will resolve this

The problem is not that OS so much as it in the fact the the PI is an ArmV6 Platform vice the Armv7 or better. Anything newer than Gingerbread I can't remember the version will not go run on the pi and even GB is a tough go. The other issue I ran into is getting the Google play store to work. and even when I did I had issues with Adobe versions and other items. Your best bet is to try and run Midori with Gnash and go strait to the web sites. This does not always work for all Flash players however and I am not sure as of yet how to work through the issue. But if I can solve that problem I will definatly post it as this has been my side project I have been slow to mess with it.

billyelliott

Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:00 am

For high quality, cost effective and smarter streaming multimedia experience availing the services of Steaming VPN is a worthy choice. It really helped me to catch many programs, which I enjoyed back in my home country and yes at unbeatable prices.
http://www.streamingvpn.com

amyren

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:54 am

Wall86 wrote:Sorry about that, did not see very much interest so I did not put it very high on my priority list!

Here is the link, please either comment there, or in this thread (I am getting updates on new posts) and I will do my best to help anyone out!

Blog post: http://beepc.ca/how-to-netflix-on-raspberry-pi/
Hi.
It looks like that website is not online anymore.
But I also found these guides
http://mymediaexperience.com/raspberry- ... h-raspbmc/
http://mymediaexperience.com/integrate- ... into-xbmc/
that seems to have a similar approach to get netflix on the pi. (playon media server + xbmc)

Gary Littlemore

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:33 pm

Read this... http://www.raspbmc.com/2013/12/happy-new-year/ about Netflix coming to Raspbmc
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

madelinemadan

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:08 am

Did you try any DNS/VPN/Proxy service to unblock Netflix USA

mypifi

Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Did Netflix on the pi ever get sorted?

Return to “Media centres”