outcave

XBMC: Play 1080p mkv in streaming with windows share (SMB)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi.
I have a Raspberry Pi 512MB version running the latest Raspbian “wheezy” (2012-12-16) with the latest firmware on it (https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-update), uname -a show: Linux raspberrypi 3.6.11+ #358 PREEMPT Tue Jan 15 00:45:33 GMT 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux.
On it I installed XMBC (http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc) and it works well.
I use XBMC for play .mkv files (1080p also with DTS), I open the .mkv files on XBMC via smb (windows share); but when there is a high bitrate the video and audio became stutter. The problem, I think, is that the bandwith is not enough. Consider that the Raspberry Pi is connected via cable ethernet on a Gigabit switch and also the Windows PC (which shares the files) is attached on the same switch. Looking into Windows PC Task manager I noticed that the maxium peak of bandwith of the ethernet is "only" 5% of 1Gigabit (so 50% of 100Megabit) and may be (better for sure) this throughput is not enought for streaming 1080p high bitrate file.
SO, now, How Can I solve? There is a way to use more ethernet bandwith on the Raspberry?
There is the possibility to say to XBMC to increase the buffer?

Thanks!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: XBMC: Play 1080p mkv in streaming with windows share (SM

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:45 pm

Some useful suggestions here:
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=6079

For the highest bitrate 1080p files with DTS (e.g. full size Blu-Rays), you need a tv/receiver that supports passthrough (or wait for hardware DTS codec to get licensing sorted).
Lower bitrate or 720p files should be possible without passthrough.
In both cases you will have more success with NFS sharing than SMB. Overclocking will also help.

outcave

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi.
My Raspberry is connected to a Sintoamplifier that support Dolby Digital and DTS. The problem is non related to the Sintoamplifier and/or TV, but only to the ethernet speed (throughput). My Raspberry is also overcloked to 950 MHz. I have also hdmi_force_edid_audio=1 into config.txt file.

dom

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:43 pm

NFS will improve performance over SMB.

outcave

Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:07 pm

dom wrote:NFS will improve performance over SMB.
I will try...
Look at this image, this is the network throughput during streaming mkv file from PC to Raspberry (the values are referred to a Gigabit so multiply by 10 for 100Megabit.
As you can see the throughput is very low..... and it's not enough to watch mkv.
Attachments
band.JPG
band.JPG (42.81 KiB) Viewed 49830 times

RocketNuts

Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:47 am

From what you've shown via Windows Task Manager showing about 50mb of 100mb, this would be about right for 100mb ethernet.
Granted - all your network equipment may say its Gigabit speed on the box, but something looks like its falling back to 100mb speed.
Chances are you've bought Cat 5 cabling and used that as your interconnect and not Cat 6 or Cat 6e cables. Therefore the poor cross talk performance of any one piece of Cat 5 cable in the link will downgrade your performance to 100mb between devices.

I'd check cables before arguing the performance of SMB and NFS, both of which must run across the physical network topology :)

jamesh

Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 am

RocketNuts wrote:From what you've shown via Windows Task Manager showing about 50mb of 100mb, this would be about right for 100mb ethernet.
Granted - all your network equipment may say its Gigabit speed on the box, but something looks like its falling back to 100mb speed.
Chances are you've bought Cat 5 cabling and used that as your interconnect and not Cat 6 or Cat 6e cables. Therefore the poor cross talk performance of any one piece of Cat 5 cable in the link will downgrade your performance to 100mb between devices.

I'd check cables before arguing the performance of SMB and NFS, both of which must run across the physical network topology :)
Note the Pi is 100Mbits/s, not gigabit....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Speedwell68

Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:42 pm

jamesh wrote:
RocketNuts wrote:From what you've shown via Windows Task Manager showing about 50mb of 100mb, this would be about right for 100mb ethernet.

Note the Pi is 100Mbits/s, not gigabit....
Beat me to it.

To the OP. Try setting up a UPNP media server on the Windows machine and see if that makes a difference.

emma24xia

Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:42 am

The reason the video or audio is stuttered is because the media player cannot afford the high video or audio quality, and the best way is to reduce video bitrate to a suitable degree for your media player.

foresto

Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:21 pm

outcave wrote:I use XBMC for play .mkv files (1080p also with DTS), I open the .mkv files on XBMC via smb (windows share); but when there is a high bitrate the video and audio became stutter. The problem, I think, is that the bandwith is not enough.
The Raspberry Pi's ethernet interface is limited to 100mbit, further limited by having to share USB bandwidth, and even further limited by how many CPU cycles are available for network processing while the device is playing video. Any or all of these could be a problem with high bitrate videos like a very large Blu-ray rip.

outcave, are you able to try again with a Raspberry Pi 2? The ethernet limits are about the same on the new model, but it has much more CPU power than the old one. I'd love to know whether it solves the stuttering problem on high bit rate videos that some people have reported with RPi 1.

tpylkko

Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 pm

You can also try to enlargen the cache, or set it to cache to the sd instead of ram (in advancedsettings.xml). see ths link http://www.htpcbeginner.com/fix-raspber ... ng-issues/

Return to “Media centres”