kevyb

xbmc better performace achived

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:22 am

I just wanted to make this thread for any noobie's such as my self what wanted to achive a plug and play xbmc device and have no previous know how about lunix

First of all i tried using the raspberian download from this website, i then downloaded xbmc manually, along with samba, wireless drivers. I found this way to be very laggy and slow.

I have discovered Openelec which is a lunix dist just for xbmc, this is alot faster then the previous method and pretty much works out the box, i did not have to download wireless drivers and a standard USB remote control worked out the box. For anyone wanting a pretty much plug and play with no command line interface i would suggest this to anyone (you can still access your command line via SSH)

The currently version of openelec xmbc uses 100% cpu on the main menu, this is because currently it is refreshing the screen at about 30fp/s this will be solved soon in the future updates. as soon as you open a program or play a video, that then gets all the cpu power, and i have found it plays HD video excellently without a stutter or delay on sound, I also found if you download any catch up tv programs such as Iplayer, although the interface is pretty simple it plays the video perfectly over wireless.

The main thing i did which i have seen a pretty good increase in performance is using a head sink i purchased of, The cpu temperature went down from 50C to 40C and the cpu usage has gone down to 92% this is at the normal 700% cpu speed, i felt no need to overclock mine although you can do this by editing some config file.

Hope this helps some people !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: xbmc better performace achived

Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am

Only thing I would add is that the heatsink will have made NO difference to performance. Dropping 50->40 will not affect performance at all - the processor will still be running at the same level whatever the temp (unless it goes over 85 when it will throttle itself to cool itself down)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

kevyb

Re: xbmc better performace achived

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Actually i would disagree, there is a performance boost, it may be small but still existent not only that the 99p head sink will increase the longevity of board, would highly recommend a heat sink i anyone is going to be overclocking there board and anything over 75C on a arm processor will start to damage the components of the board !

Return to “Media centres”