chriz

Re: piCoPlayer a dedicated microcore and squeezelite player

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 am

Hi Steen

I have been using Raspyfi the last few months (www.raspyfi.com) as my issues with stuttering audio over USB in Picoreplayer was never solved... Raspyfi works perfect in regards to USB Audio - I have not experienced a single dropout in the last few months!

However, I'm not really happy about the user interface and I'm missing the multi-room option provided by logitech media server/Squeezebox, and I would really love to go back to picoreplayer...

So, taking the above into consideration (there must be some kernel differences between picoreplayer/squeezelite and raspyfi?) - Any chance of this getting a fix anytime soon?

/Christian

dalet

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:11 am

Hello all,
So I tried kingswindsor's suggestions and I still don't have a persistent wireless connection on reboot. Also, there seems to be a hiccup in the analog audio every 5 seconds or so. Is there a more current version than July available?

d

testerek

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi,
I have a problem with sound through jack. It is working only when I manually run "sudo amixer cset numid=3 1"
How to fix it ??

Best regards

sbp

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Please try the new version.

piCorePlayer version 1.08
Changes
- updated kernel to rpi-linux-3.11.5
- better picoreplayer script, so now it is much easier to change the Squeezelite settings, like name etc - and you can see what the current settings are.
- more wifi adaptors are supported (I think that most the Ralink adaptors are working now)
- better wifi script (thanks to Randy McEuen who made it possible to save non-protected wifi's as well)
- The new version is larger than usual, as this has been requested by many who wanted to add extra packages to the piCorePlayer. If needed I can provide a smaller version.

BIG thanks to Randy McEuen who helped by beta-testing the new version and also provided a valuable patch to the wifi.sh script in the microcore community.

Get it from here https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

Please report your findings

Steen
piCorePlayer webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

sbp

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:57 pm

piCorePlayer 1.09 is ready.

Changes:
Thanks to Ralphy you can now play WMA ald ALAC audio files, and possibly do upsampling on piCorePlayer as well.
libfaad, libffmpeg and libsoxr are now included and enabled. So Ralphys squeezelite which is compiled wich supports upsampling using the libsoxr resampling library. This allows squeezelite to upsample the output to the highest sample rate supported by the output device.
This version have built in pcm (wav/aiff) decode plus flac, mp3, ogg and aac via libFLAC, libmad/libmpg123, libvorbisfile, libfaad and includes support for wma and alac decode via the ffmpeg library.

Update of squeezelite, now downloads from Ralphy's squeezelite page

Added option to define upsample settings in menu (untested)

Bugfix:
Menu script had an error and has been fixed

Changed default settings for analog output (better sound quality with high samle rate Flac files)

Get it from here https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

Please report your findings
Steen

Bobeee

Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:03 pm

First of all well done to Steen for building this player, and i'm very keen to get it up and running. I should say that I am a complete newbee, so my first problem was actually burning the image on to an SD Card. Most instructions refer to using a PC and various apps that are PC specific.

However, i found a couple of posts which require the use of Terminal, but I could not get those to work. So after further searches, i found that it was possible to mount and burn the .img image using Mac's Disk Utility. But it must be used in the correct way.

1) Download picoPlayer image and drag to desktop
2) Insert SD card
3) Right click (Ctrl click) on the .img image and Mac users will see a pop up. Highlight "Open with" and select "Diskimage Mounter" This will mount the image and label it "Untitled" and open the Disk utility app
4) When in the Disk Utility app, Click the SD card on left hand side of window and then select "Restore"
5) Drag the SD card often called "NO NAME" to the Destination field
6) Drag the mounted image "Untitled" to the Source field
7) Hit the "Restore" button and an Erase waring will appear followed by a requirement to enter your Mac computers password
8) After a few moments your SD card will appear on your desktop labelled "Untitled 1"

This will be very basic for most readers of this forum, but might help fellow Mac newbees like me

So, I put the SD card in to the Rpi and connected a USB DAC - known to work with SqueezePlug, and it booted and appeared as a player on iPeng, but no sound

And after about 15 - 20 mins, the player was not visible anymore

I tried this a few times - same thing

I then connected a monitor and keyboard and it looks like the problem might be that it is not loading Squeezelite properly. It seems that whilst it is still trying, the picoplayer is visible on the network (the Rpi is connected to the network over ethernet), but after a period of time, it is no longer visible on the network.

Finally, i was expecting the boot text to end with a log-in, but it does not

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

truehl

Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi,
thanks to Steen for the great work! I have one issue: After playing some songs, Squeezelite continues running but with no sound, only some rubbish is coming out of the Pi. I tried internal sound and two different USB DAC's. All with the same result. LMS server runs on a second Pi with a 7.8 version witch is ultra stable, all my other players (Radio, Duet, Touch) run continuously. I'm not sure, if the same happens with Squeezelite on Raspbian, maybe it's an Squeezelite and not a PiCorePlayer issue. Does it run stable for you, even if you are running a large playlist? What are you Squeezelite parameters?

Thanks, Thomas
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

gian125

Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:08 am

hello All,

I am a newbie with piCoPlayer, and I am stuck with no sound from usb...

So, here is my story:
1. downloaded and burned latest image on sd
2. boot, LMS sees new picorePlayer, no sound
3. tried to shift from ALSA to PCM, no success
4. this is #5 output:

Insert USB DAC and pres ENTER to get a list of available ALSA device
Output devices:
null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
sysdefault:CARD=PCM2702 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=PCM2702,DEV=0 - Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
sysdefault:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device

It looks like the device is recognized.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your time,
ciao,
-Gian

mehstg

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me debug

I am currently using picoreplayer with audio over HDMI. I am getting very scratchy/distorted audio. I had exactly the same issue when I manually installed squeezelite on Raspbian.

Raspbmc on the same pi had no issues.

Any ideas where to begin debugging?

sbp

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi, thank you for using piCorePlayer, how did you setup your hdmi output?

You will get the best result with hdmi output if you use the default alsa settings for hdmi, which are. "::32:0"

Please report your findings.
Steen

mehstg

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Hi thanks for the rapid response :-)

Currently it is using out-of-the-box settings. I have tried it on both a Model B Rev1 and Rev2 pi.

sbp

Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:52 pm

Could you check the alsa settings, and report them here?

mehstg

Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Sure:
Change Squeezelite Settings

1) Change Player name (Current name is: -n piCorePlayer)
2) Change Output setting (Current setting is: -o sysdefault:CARD=ALSA)
3) Change ALSA setting (Current setting is: -a ::32:0)
4) Change MAC adress (Current adress is: )
5) Change Max sample rate (Current setting is: )

6) Change Buffer Size (Current setting is: )
7) Change Codec (Current Codec restriction is: )
8) Change Server (Current Server is: )
9) Change Priority level (Current Priority level is: )
11) Change Upsample settings (Current Upsample setting is: )

Paul

sbp

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Hi.

Not sure, But i Think i would try with different alsa settings. Like 120::32:0 etc.

Steen

mehstg

Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:42 pm

Cool. I'll give it a go.

Thanks

Paul

AndyBeevers

Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:44 am

I have just installed a HiFiBerry onto the Pi. Best music output I have had. Especially when using high quality files. Completely outshines my USB DACs. Recommend it.

AndyBeevers

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:51 pm

Can anyone tell me how I find out what rate a music track is being played at when using the HiFiBerry. Volumio shows this on the screen but I would like to see it in PicoPlayer

sbp

Re: piCorePlayer a dedicated microcore and squeezelite playe

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi all

Please try the newest version of piCorePlayer 1.12c.

It is now much easier to setup using your browser, simply open a browser from another computer, go to the IP-address of your raspberry and use port 8077 - so use something like 192.168.1.23:8077

Then you will see something like this:Image

It supports the HiFiberry DAC which is connected via I2s interface so the USB problems are solved http://www.hifiberry.com/ the sound quality is really good.

You can get it from the piCorePlayer web page https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

Steen

AndyBeevers

Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for the details. I use latest version but cannot find on the pages where it tells me what definition the music track is being played at.

TheD6Bel

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 am

Hello, i have this keyboard for control sound level, but not work, it's work only on xbmc :(

Is possible to control sound level with buttons on picoreplayer?

Thanks ;)

foxpi

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:53 pm

Great job your work definitely helps all of us. Thanks! I was wondering if there is currently a way to run multiple instances of picoreplayer with web interface for each one. Obviously changing mac address and other settings. I guess I can always do it by cli but its not as fun...
Also is there a way to get the web interface for other distros like raspbian? thanks again!

sbp

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:59 am

Hi foxpi

Regarding your question on the web GUI, I doubt that it will run on anything else than the piCorePlayer. The file structure is a bit different between a microcore linux (which is the building block for piCorePlayer) and a raspbian linux.

You other question - I haven't tried to run multiple instances of squeezelite, but I suspect that it might be possible. Probably I would be able to support this via the web-GUI as well.
The only issue is whether there is a need for it. I doubt that many will find it useful?

Steen

foxpi

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:23 am

To run squeezelite more than oncce is simple if you change the mac address. I just want to use the web interface but am not sure how it is set up and not used to picore in general. The reason to run multiple instances is simple. I want to plug in a few dac and control the music of different rooms from one pi...

Also another question just because I'm not used to picore if I want to change the init script that starts piplayer do i need to mount the the filesystem in a linux box and change the files in the .img filesystem?

thanks again for the hardwork

DexterBelgium

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:39 am

sbp wrote:Hi foxpi

Regarding your question on the web GUI, I doubt that it will run on anything else than the piCorePlayer. The file structure is a bit different between a microcore linux (which is the building block for piCorePlayer) and a raspbian linux.

You other question - I haven't tried to run multiple instances of squeezelite, but I suspect that it might be possible. Probably I would be able to support this via the web-GUI as well.
The only issue is whether there is a need for it. I doubt that many will find it useful?

Steen
Hey Steen, I've been looking to do this exact thing (I'm trying to run multiple squeezelite instances on a pi, to have a home multizone audio set up in a closet). I've been trying on Squeezeplug, but would love to try it via Picoreplayer, but I just don't know how.

So please, let me beg you: there is at least ONE guy in Belgium who would find it MIGHTY useful. :D

Added note: I was trying to do it via commandline, but if I log in using tc, I can't even run or even locate the squeezelite script manually, am I missing something?

Return to “Media centres”