I'm writing this to share some experiences I have been having with Squeezeplug 6, Logitechmediaserver, squeezeslave and squeezelite.
As mentioned in a previous post I have been having continuing problems with my set-up, 512Mb Pi,
logitech media server, squeezelite, all on a 4GB Integral SD card. I also have the little USB DAC
that Truehl recommended for a Christmas present (great sound from this by the way).
I would install it all wth no problems, add in my USB drive of music and everything as Bowie would
say would be Hunky Dory.
But after a couple of hours, the Pi would become barely responsive. Either LMS or Squeezelite
would start going mad and gobble up as much CPU as they could. I noticed that the error messaging service would also start increasing in CPU. Anyway after many reboots, reloads and starting from scratch, installing everything again, I was getting a little fed up with all this and in fact had stopped using Squeezplug altogether, which was a pity as I really had become used to hearing internet radio through my ancient stereo!
I had tried various things to fix the problem, many suggested by the good people on this forum. I tried updating Raspbian, installing latest nightly builds of LMS etc. Things would improve for a few hours and then the same problem again.
Coming back to the problem recently, I decided to try another LMS nightly but was surprised to find that apt-get couldn't comply as the SD card was full. Strange. I tried deleting the X window stuff but no joy there either. That bugged me, as I was not adding anything directly onto the card, music etc.
I knew the command "dmesg" would tell me of there was anything strange going on in the background, so I typed that in and got page after page of the following :-
"[ 393.188081] delay: estimated 0, actual 221
[ 393.196082] delay: estimated 0, actual 220
[ 393.204091] delay: estimated 0, actual 220
[ 393.212085] delay: estimated 0, actual 221
Now I've no idea what that means but I'm wondering is it something to do with the buffering that's enabled for USB dacs but I do think it's messing LMS and/or Squeezelite up.
The only thing I could think of was error message log files. I'm only a year tinkering with linux so had to do a bit of trawling to find out where they would be stored.
I found this page :- http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... an-404616/
and discovered the /var/log/ directory. Typing "ls" in a sh terminal showed me a lot of error logs in
there both current and zipped up old ones. I took that page's advice and typed a few of these commands to clean them out.
cat /dev/null > /var/log/messages
cat /dev/null > /var/log/wtmp
cat /dev/null > /var/log/maillog
this will delete the contents of the file without removing the file itself
or changing any of it's permissions.
Repeat as necessary for each log file, write into a bash script whatever..
then delete all the numbered log files ( i.e. messages.1.tar.gz ) which are old logs
that have been backed up from logrotate or a similar app.
After a reboot, my Pi became responsive again so that step seemed useful. That page mentioned
an app called logrotate which I assume is running on the Pi, but maybe it's not rotating quickly enough and is just filling up the SD card, especially if the Pi is not running all night, it might be a Cronjob? . Anyway after a few hours the Pi became unresponsive again, LMS over 90% cpu. Going back into /var/log/ again it was all full up again!
If the Pi was continually writing these error messages to SD card then that SD card was going to worn out pretty quickly.
I figured if it was error messages causing the problem I would have to either figure out what the underlying problem was (don't have the linux chops for that I'm afraid) or I could disable the error logging (squeezeplug is meant to be a dedicated audio server/player after all and not a full computer so to speak).
I came across a recommendation to use a utility called "sysv-rc-conf" and lo and behold it is loaded into Squeezeplug/Debian Pi by default.
It has an easy to use interface where you can move around the different services and disable them
for different run levels. So I located rsyslog and unchecked all the boxes for it.
Rebooting the machine, everything was immediately more responsive, even the LMS web interface
on another computer was more sprightly.
I left it running like this and I am glad to report that seven days later, my Squeezeplug is running happily 24/7 without crashing, slowing down or otherwise driving me crazy.. So something is askew with error logging and/or the driver/buffer for USB Dacs.
If this helps anybody else to get a good working install then great, and if anyone can get to the bottom of the real reason for all the errors then that would be good too. I don't think the lack of
error reporting is a problem for the continued running of a headless Squeezeplug but I'm
open to be corrected!