castalla

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:49 am

@dalet

If you only want the Pi as a player, then forget Squeezeplug and go for Picoreplayer

dalet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Hello all,
I don't need all of the functionality of SqueezePlug, but thought that for future expansion it might be nice to implement now and not have to change things down the road. I did some searching and found PiCorePlayer and installed it last night. Ran fine. I just wish it had a GUI interface, but command line is ok.
I know it's off topic, but If someone has a link to a good set of instructions (linux newbee here) it would be great to get those. Sometimes its hard to find the forest for the trees. (too many links and not sure which are good and which are hacks).

Thanks again,

d

castalla

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Seems unlikely that Squeezeplug will ever be updated - the author is 'missing in action'. Pity, as it was a very useful setup routine for squeezebox features.

sbp

Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:08 pm

Thanks for trying piCorePlayer, I hope that within short time we will be able to configure the piCorePlayer via a web browser.
At least that is my plan.

Steen
piCorePlayer webpage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

.helge

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 pm

castalla wrote:Seems unlikely that Squeezeplug will ever be updated - the author is 'missing in action'. Pity, as it was a very useful setup routine for squeezebox features.
Unfortunately I think your are right :( Squeezeplug will be stuck at version 6.02. truehl is part of the ickstream initiative I believe. (http://blog.ickstream.com/)

Paul Webster

Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:01 pm

I see a post by Thomas on 16th Oct - implying he is still working in Squeeze stuff.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 69#p438669

.helge

Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:38 am

Hi LMS/PI enthusiasts,

driven by curiosity I stubmled across this:
https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver/ ... 36d6b40703
which means since Oct. 21st it is now possible to install LMS 7.8.x with a simple dpkg -i <package>. on a RPI using hard float computing (armhf)
Prerequisite is:
  • you have to use a 7.8 nightly build after Oct 21st
So for LMS 7.8 squeezeplug is no longer necessary unless you want the other good stuff truehl put in there.
With "Local Player" from the 3rd party plugins list in LMS you can also easily install/use squeezelite by triode
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... indows-OSX

In the mean time they LMS team has also improved the scanning performance.

check it out!

cheers Helge

truehl

Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am

[quote=".helge"] which means since Oct. 21st it is now possible to install LMS 7.8.x with a simple dpkg -i <package>. on a RPI using hard float computing (armhf) [/quote]
Hi,
that sounds really great! I'll give it a try!

Sorry for being so quite the last month, but I had a heavy time form health and from my job. The last weeks I found a little time to see what's up with the Pi and with Squeezeplug. Some interesting things are going on and this news really helps me to get active again.

I know that Squeezeplug does not work with newer Pi's. That's very easy to fix. There is a lot of progress going on with Squeezelite and there are some other reasons for updating Squeezeplug.

Please be patient, I will reanimate Squeezeplug the next weeks!

If some of you guys like to be involved in Squeezeplug development, let me know! I would be pleased to get more of you involved in developing. Maybe this can give me a kick in the ass I need for motivation!

Thanks a lot, greetings,
Thomas
Last edited by truehl on Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

truehl

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:24 pm

Did someone already try the 7.8 with hf support? I'm away from home, so I can't try it right now? Does the local player plugin from Triode work? I tried it a few days ago with the 7.7.3 and it don't work. Squeezelite did not start on system start.

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

.helge

Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:03 pm

truehl wrote:Did someone already try the 7.8 with hf support? I'm away from home, so I can't try it right now? Does the local player plugin from Triode work? I tried it a few days ago with the 7.7.3 and it don't work. Squeezelite did not start on system start.

Greetings,
Thomas
hmm,
I cannot get it to work either (7.8 nightly). I had it running once but cannot remember the configuration. The implementation needs some - let's say - "tuning" anyway :-/
I'll keep investigating
Last edited by .helge on Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

truehl

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:17 am

.helge wrote:hmm,
I cannot get it to work either (7.8 nightly). I had it running once but cannot remember the configuration. The implementation needs some - let's say - "tuning" anyway :-/
I'll keep investigating
Hi Helge,
Does this only refer only the "local player" function or the 7.8 hf LMS server version???

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

.helge

Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:53 am

truehl wrote: Hi Helge,
Does this only refer only the "local player" function or the 7.8 hf LMS server version???

Greetings,
Thomas
refers only to "local player"!!! LMS 7.8.0 - 1383129612 @ Wed Oct 30 20:05:30 PDT 2013 works like a charm :) :)

[edit :]
I installed a fresh raspbian. did rpi-update next (kernel 3.10 will become standards next week or so ) installed squeezelite with your scripts. It runs, but with squeezelite 1.3 I get stuttering sound :-( . Squeezeslave is doing fine
[/edit]

Gerrelt

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Thomas,

I installed squeezeplug recently, and I noticed that the squeezelite installation does not yet use the "-s" option for the IP address of the LMS server.
That -s option is added in one of the latest versions of squeezelite, in older versions the IP address didn't need the "-s".

Greetings,
Gerrelt.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

truehl

Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Gerrelt wrote:Hi Thomas,

I installed squeezeplug recently, and I noticed that the squeezelite installation does not yet use the "-s" option for the IP address of the LMS server.
That -s option is added in one of the latest versions of squeezelite, in older versions the IP address didn't need the "-s".

Greetings,
Gerrelt.
Hi Gerrelt,
I think I'll take a look at your init script! Meantime I'm in the Netherlands! I think you are from here, right?

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

Gerrelt

Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:40 pm

Yes I am. :) Welcome to our little country, I am sorry that it's cold and wet overhere.... ;) :D
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

tw99

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Thomas - good to see you back and looking at Squeezeplug again...

truehl

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:07 pm

LMS 7.8 is running fine, without patch! That's great news! Thanks for the hint.

SqueezeLite as "local player" is also running with this trick:

Code: Select all

usermod -a -G audio squeezeboxserver
But I'm not able to get a usable sound out of the Pi, using the latested Raspbian image. I tried different settings, nothing worked, any tipps?

Greetings,
Thomas
truehl

rinusvw

Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Hi all,
It is known that Squeezeplug version HF_602 will not run on the new Raspberry Pi. But since I like the Squeezeplug system very much (only look at the tutorials), I tried hard to overcome this problem, and with success. The problem is that something goes wrong in the boot proces.

So, this is what I did. First of all you need a bootable Raspbian system. If you installed Raspbian using NOOBS then you also need a Linux system, because you need some files from the boot partition. And under Windows you only see the Recovery partition of the NOOBS system.
Then I copied the Squeezeplug_HF_602 image onto an 8GB SD Card. I then replaced the next files in the boot partition of the SD Card
  • bootcode.bin,
    kernel_emergency.img,
    kernel.img,
    start_cd.elf,
    start.elf
with their equivalents from the boot partition of the Raspbian system (NOT the Recovery partition). This gives you a bootable Squeezeplug SD Card.
One of the first things you need to do after you booted the system and logged in, is updating the Debian distribution. You find this option in the setup, advanced setup menu. This replaces more or less the whole system, including the above files in the boot partition.

I now have a well running Squeezeplug system with installed LMS version 7.7.3, which is running without any problems.

Trixster

Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Hello chaps,

How do we go about updating SqueezePlug to run the latest 7.7.3 LMS?

I have downloaded 7.7.3, what do I need to do to update from 7.7.2 now?

rinusvw

Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm

What is wrong with using the standard setup menu?
So, log in as root, type setup and choose the "Server_and_Player" menu item. Continue with the submenus until you reached the Update LMS screen. There you need to enter the URL to download version 7.7.3:

And of course, make a backup of your current system before proceeding.

Succes!

MrNice

Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi,

Where can I find specifications of SqueezePlug Version 6; I mean what audio files player can play (container, codec, quality), is it CEC compatible, etc...
Thanks for a link

Trixster

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:00 pm

rinusvw wrote:What is wrong with using the standard setup menu?
So, log in as root, type setup and choose the "Server_and_Player" menu item. Continue with the submenus until you reached the Update LMS screen. There you need to enter the URL to download version 7.7.3:

And of course, make a backup of your current system before proceeding.

Succes!
Nice one, thanks! It's easy when you know how, it's not when you don't.

castalla

Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:49 am

The same procedure can be used to update to latest nightly versions of 7.8 - go to http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.8

Do a right click on the Logitech Media Server: Debian Installer Package (i386, x86_64, ARM EABI, PowerPC) link and Copy.

In the appropriate squeezeplug setup page, then Shift-right click to paste the link.

In fact, there are significant advantages in using 7.8 - for example, scanning has been recently improved, and more importantly internet radio no longer depends on mysqueezebox.com - this means that should mysb.com disappear then internet radio should still work.

Of course, given 7.8 is under continuous development, then your mileage may vary. I've been using it for months without any issues.

Trixster

Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 am

Nice one, thanks!

danfzx14

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi Thomas,

Do you have an ETA on when a version of Squeezeplug that works with the newer PI's will be released? I am in desperate need of getting mine up and running.

Regards

Return to “Media centres”