Gerrelt

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:52 pm

@soutpaw:

I don't have a squeezeplug install at hand at the moment, so I don't have a way to check the following tips (this is partly based on my how-to).

First list all the devices:

Code: Select all

squeezelite-armv6hf -l
The result:

#Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
  sysdefault:CARD=Set            - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Set,DEV=0           - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=Set,DEV=0      - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=Set,DEV=0          - C-Media USB Headphone Set, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
Then edit the squeezelite script:

sudo nano squeezelite
And find this line:

SLOPTIONS="-n SqueezeLite -o sysdefault:CARD=External"
And change the part behind "-o" to the card you have choosen out of the list you got above, with the -l command.
Save the script and reboot the raspberry.
my Raspberry Pi page: http://raspberry.gerrelt.nl

southpaw

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Gerrelt, and thanks for the reply, i did find your "how to" whilst googling but the command

squeezelite-armv6hf -l

gave the following

[email protected]:~# squeezelite-armv6hf -l
-bash: squeezelite-armv6hf: command not found
the command

aplay -L

gives me the output file I posted earlier.
I then tried

sudo nano squeezelite
which opens a blank file with no text options in,
however

sudo nano /etc/default/squeezelite

opens "sqeezelite default" with all the various audio options in it, of which they were all ### out , I tried adding a line at top with an

SLOPTIONS="-n SqueezeLite -o surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0" 
but same again, no output from rear, can you please clarify which file I need to edit , is it

/etc/default/squeezelite
or

squeezelite
i am on a version1 pi with the lesser ram , and using SqueezePlug_HF_602
probably not correct but i assume your "how to" was only applicable for installing ontop of debian wheezy ? My install is using truehl`s squeezeplug package and selecting lms and squeezelite, is this why your commands don't output on my install ?
many thanks for your help, much appreciated mate

southpaw

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 am

can anybody advise if this is edited correctly , do I need to do anything with the commented out section, or is there any other text I need to enter, really getting annoyed with this now :roll:
http://i.imgur.com/3Riqbzg.jpg
MTIAhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/j98ugryyzv3f5 ... tions1.png

wouterel

Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 am

We can't tell from this screenshot as we only see the top part of the file. For all I know there could be another line further down in the file which redefines SLOPTIONS to something entirely different. And even then if you want only front and rear I think you should use surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0 rather than the 7.1 setting.

EDIT: as for your earlier questions: indeed the file you needed to edit is in /etc/default so you got that right, and the name of the executable that you got an error on should indeed be squeezelite instead of squeezelite-armv6hf, because the squeezeplug install scripts rename this executable during installation.

southpaw

Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:22 pm

wouterel wrote:We can't tell from this screenshot as we only see the top part of the file. For all I know there could be another line further down in the file which redefines SLOPTIONS to something entirely different. And even then if you want only front and rear I think you should use surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0 rather than the 7.1 setting.

EDIT: as for your earlier questions: indeed the file you needed to edit is in /etc/default so you got that right, and the name of the executable that you got an error on should indeed be squeezelite instead of squeezelite-armv6hf, because the squeezeplug install scripts rename this executable during installation.
thanks for reply wouterel and clarifying , seems I aint been barking up the wrong tree thru all this then, nice to know, yes I have tried the "front/rear surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0" option, along with all the others , went thru all of them and was trying the 7-1 at time of posting,
the rest of the file at

is # out, so nothing further down that would impact, whats puzzling me is there seems to be 3 locations that I have been editing

sudo nano /squeezelite
sudo nano /etc/squeezelite
I have been thru all the above locations and edited in

SLOPTIONS="-o surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0"
AUDIO_DEV="surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0"
however still nout out rear plug, beginning to think I may have a faulty usb card and only working output is front, next step is fresh install and edit default/squeezelite to output 4.0 sound, if that fails I am beaten, and will just stick with the one front output and put it down to a dodgy card
many thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated

wouterel

Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Hmmm... you wrote that the aplay -L result was "surround40:CARD=Set,DEV=0" but then you put "surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0" in your /etc/default/squeezelite? Try changing the file again, and make the option match exactly what aplay -L said. (I don't have my pi accessible here and now but I would think that aplay -L and squeezelite -l would give you the same strings to identify the devices.)

In any case /etc/default/squeezelite is the file to work with. There should not be files called squeezelite in / or in /etc/ and if they are there it is because you accidentally created them.

southpaw

Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

thanks for all your help wouterel, I have came to the conclusion the card is faulty, tried it in windoze and same scenario, only front working , will order a 2nd card and have another play, next I just need to figure out how to load media to the internal sdcard media library, can this only be configured thru command prompt or is there another easier method like drag+drop thru ftp
mtia

uluru

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:02 pm

castalla wrote:My advice. Start from scratch with a Debian image Then follow the instructions at AllThingsPI to install LMS:

http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com/lms.php
Hi,
thanks for the tutorial, looking at shell script used by squeezePlug I fugured out that after installing LMS it does some patching.

I guess I have to recompile from scratch as the provided binaries are from 7.7.2 and 20 days ago 7.7.4 has been released.
I'll look for a tutorial to recompile, do you have a good one to suggest me?

thank you

castalla

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:18 am

Do you mean you want lms 7,7.4 ???

In AllThingsPi tutorial, there's the command wget in point 2.

Just change this to:

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 27_all.deb

Michielo

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi everyone,

It was with great interest that I have been reading this thread over the last couple of days. Started out with the thread on the release of version 4, just to figure that it was outdated (it was good for my general knowledge though, being a complete Linux noob).

Anyway, I think I'm ready to try the pi experience and join this great community. However, before pushing the confirmation button on my order, I was hoping that some of you could give some feedback on the below questions I have.

I'm planning on ordering all my stuff from reichelt.de. This is what my order will look like:

LOGILINK UA0053 - USB 2.0 Audio Adapter, 5.1 - 4,90 €
TEK-BERRY SW - Design enclosure for the Raspberry Pi, black - 4,95 €
TASTATUR USB SW - USB Keyboard Black - 4,95 €
LOGILINK WL0084B - WLan N 150Mbps USB Adapter, Ultra Nano Size - 5,90 €
HNP06 MICRO USB - Micro-USB power supply, 6W, 5V, 1,2A - 6,40 €
LOGILINK UA0160 - USB 2.0 Hub, 4 Port - 6,95 €
SAMSUNG MB-SPAGC - SDHC-Card 16GB - Samsung - Class 10 - 13,00 €
RASPBERRY PI B - 38,95 €*

On the hardware, I had the following questions:
1° LOGILINK UA0053 - used by the developer of AirPi in his sample set-up, so I assume it would work. Anyone has any experience with this cheap sound card (both in terms of native recognition by raspy and audio out quality)?
2° LOGILINK WL0084B - using Ralink RT5370 chipset. Listed on elinux.org as a working device. Is this supported natively by Squeezeplug v 6.02 and anyone any experience with connecting this to the pi? Will I face the same problems as some of you are facing with edimax dongle?
3° HNP06 MICRO USB - I intend connecting both the wifi and soundcard dongle directly to the USB ports of the raspy. Will 1.2a provide sufficient power? Anyone any experience with this psu?
4° SAMSUNG MB-SPAGC - SDHC-Card: it is not listed on elinux.org as compatible, but the MB-SPAGA / MB-SPAGAEU having the same characteristics is.
5° LOGILINK UA0160 - USB 2.0 Hub, 4 Port: Comes with a 5V/2A power supply and provides 500mA per port. Likely only used for initial set-up to connect soundcard, wifi and keyboard. If the HNP06 MICRO USB would not provide sufficient power, would this be a valid alternative?

On the set-up, I had the following questions:
1° I would like to use berryboot for dual booting in squeezeplug (default boot) and raspbmc or openelec XBMC if selected and I want to use it on my tv. Was wondering if I could set separate sound devices for each boot, i.e. usb soundcard for squeezeplug and hdmi for xbmc? Is there a squashfs tool for win 7?
Is there any limitation on how many players the pi can feed in synchronized mode before it starts stuttering or audio is distorted because either it drains too much energy (which I understand can effect audio playback) or it is not powerful enough?

Thanks a lot for your input.

Michielo

uluru

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:23 pm

castalla wrote:Do you mean you want lms 7,7.4 ???

In AllThingsPi tutorial, there's the command wget in point 2.

Just change this to:

wget http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightl ... 27_all.deb
Hi castalla,
sorry to reply so late but I have been having few spare time at home (when I can post technical details).

I did change the download string, my point is that with 7.7.3 on raspi I experienced issues on radio streaming, (the biggest to me is that if Ihave 2 SB on an I trun on a third SB the LMS rebuffers from scratch instead of sebding the whole buffer to the third SB as happens with LMS on windows) and I also wanted to try the 7.8 also because of new volume leveling feature.

I wanted then to have a 7.8 installation truly from scratch, I feel that copying some 7.7.3 precompiled libraries into a 7.8 installation would not make me able to understand what is the issue.

But reading your last post you seem to imply that libmediascan and libfaad are external libraries (and alooks like so, googling around) that have no dependencies by LMS? (and also the other component copied into the LMS Cpan folder)

thank you

castalla

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:22 pm

No idea!

Just install 7.8 by using the wget in the AllThingsPi tutorial. You have to do the whole routine from the start - otherwise it won't work.

uluru

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:26 pm

castalla wrote:No idea!

Just install 7.8 by using the wget in the AllThingsPi tutorial. You have to do the whole routine from the start - otherwise it won't work.
thanks, tomorrow I'll give a try, if 7.8 keeps having the issues I had on 7.7.3 I'll ask for help directly on the slimdevices forum.

sam.forshaw

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:22 pm

Hi everyone, this is my first post, but I thought I’d share what I have got working on my Raspberry PI using squeezeplug, in case it helps anyone.

HARDWARE:

Raspbery PI from Amazon.co.uk sold by PI Hut - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009 ... UTF8&psc=1
Raspberry PI Case
Sandisk SDHC 8GB Card from Amazon.co.uk sold by Tek-365 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008 ... UTF8&psc=1
USB Power Supply from Amazon.co.uk sold by Powerplus - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00C ... UTF8&psc=1
Ethernet Lead
Seagate FreeAgent 500GB USB HDD
Panasonic TX-L37G15B LCD TV

SOFTWARE/PROGRAMS/IMAGES/APPS

Squeezeplug HF image
USB Image Tool – available from Squeezeplug website
PUTTY – available from Squeezeplug website
G-Parted – available from - http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
Paragon ExtFS for Windows – available from - http://www.paragon-software.com/home/extfs-windows/
Logitech Squeezebox Controller app for Android
SShutdown – SSH PC Shutdown – by Prograssing app for Android
BubbleUPnP Android app (optional)

PROCESS

1 – Download the Squeezeplug HF image from squeezeplug website.
2 – Copy Squeezeplug image to SD card using USB Image tool.
3 – Insert SD card in Raspberry PI and connect up Ethernet cable and power supply.
4 – Log into Raspberry PI using PUTTY as described in squeezeplug installation video, expand the root fs, install Samba, install Logitech media server and squeezelite (or your choice of player). You can always add additional items later.
5 – When it comes to connecting the USB HDD, mine was initially formatted as Fat32 in windows 7 and had all of my media on it, however this would not mount correctly on the Raspberry PI, so I saved all my media to another drive and then formatted it using squeezeplug formatting options as Fat32, however this could then not be seen in windows 7, so once I had recovered the drive in windows 7 back to an NTFS drive, I formatted it to ext4 using G-Parted. I then mounted the USB HDD to squeezeplug following the instruction in the video. This enable squeezeplug to correctly mount the USB HDD and use it’s full capacity.
6 - Configure SShutdown app and then shutdown the Raspberry PI. Once shutdown remove the USB HDD from the Raspberry PI.
7 – Install and run Paragon ExtFS on your Windows PC, then connect the USB HDD to the PC and mount it using Paragon ExtFS, you will now be able to access the USB HDD using windows and copy over all of your media files into the folders created by squeezeplug. Once everything is copied over, use Paragon ExtFS to unmounts the USB HDD.
8 – Re-connect the USB HDD to the Raspberry PI and power it back up. Now the USB HDD will be mounted correctly to squeezeplug and your media will be available.
9 – Following the rest of the squeezeplug installation video, log into the Logitech Media Server web portal and point it to your media files. Once LMS has scanned your media you will be able to play your music through any network connected squeezebox device (including the player on the Raspberry PI) and control it using the Logitech Squeezebox Controller app.
10 – If you wish you can download and install BubbleUPnP on your Android device and this will enable you to play all of your media on you Android device and play your media from your Android device on any other squeezebox device. It is quite self-explanatory within the app on how to use it, but for further information see http://www.techradar.com/news/digital-h ... ug-1154688 this is a full guide on setting up squeezeplug, but the section ‘Launch Media Tomb and VLC’ contains good information on Bubble UPnP.
11 – Using the media server option on the Panasonic TV it is possible to connect to Logitech Media Server and play movies and view photos stored in your media files on the server, providing that the video files are in the correct format for the Panasonic TV, which is where so far I have yet to succeed, as I have been unable to find a format that works. If anyone has any suggestions then please let me know.

Hope that this may have helped someone when setting up their Pi/Squeezeplug.

Sam

StephenR

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:31 pm

I've been happiily using V6.02 squeezeplug running squeezelite as a player. I wanted to try a USB DAC so have a HiFiMeDIY one to hand that many others have had success with.

But when I uninstall squeezelite and install it again and chose this DAC as the output option, the Pi won't boot. So I go back to standard audio out and all is fine.

I've searched a lot on the web and have had no luck with an answer. It's possible the answer is here some place. If so, can someone point me at it?

thanks,

Stephen

southpaw

Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:53 am

is it possible the pi is not getting enough juice to run the both devices, hence wont boot, try it powered via a usb mains hub, or a higher rate cable (some types that come with tablets put out more juice)
good luck mate

StephenR

Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion. It doesn't matter if the USB DAC is plugged in or not. The USB DAC option means the Pi doesn't boot. I had the exact same thing with the PiCorePlayer which was fine until I selected USB audio and then it goes missing on reboot.

cheers,

Stephen

southpaw

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:28 pm

never came across that issue myself ste and have had a good few goes at setting this up , one thing I did notice is my card was functioning fine even if I tried a different usb selection (think there is a 3-4 options for usb sound card types in the setup script) ,
as nobody else has suggested anything maybe its worth trying one of the other usb sound device options ?

.helge

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 pm

uluru wrote:
castalla wrote:No idea!

thanks, tomorrow I'll give a try, if 7.8 keeps having the issues I had on 7.7.3 I'll ask for help directly on the slimdevices forum.
Hi all,
I've been updating LMS simply by using the squeeezeplug setup. I had problems with 7.7.3 also so I am now running 7.8 again. I've had no problems so far. I update the nightlies quite often. Also I do "rpi-update next" once in a while. At the moment I'm running Kernel 3.10.12 #549 and it is donig very fine. (fixed some USB and sound issues for me)
The AllThingsPi methode was adopted by truehl and implemented in his setup routine. So I see no need to follow that tutorial. If you want to start from scratch you could copy the squeezeplug files from a working squeezeplug into /sp and run the scripts from there. (don't forget to rename /first_start_no.sn to first_start.sh and reopen Putty)

hope the above helps.

Helge

castalla

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:38 am

I recall uluru wasn't using the squeezeplug image - so, he has to use another method to update - that's why I suggested the tutorial.

dalet

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Hello Everyone,
Newbe to RaspberryPI but all was going well till I tried to install SqueezePlug :( . Here is what I have tried:
downloaded sdformatter and installed
downloaded win32diskimager
downloaded raspbian from raspberry.org
created iso on a new 8 gig card that came with the Raspberry PI B version
configured and ran fine. (just saying that so people know that I have had some success)

downloaded 6.02hf from squeezeplug.eu
created iso on a second new 8 gig card... Only the red light on the raspberry comes on.
Re-installed iso... same thing
downloaded 6.02sf from squeezeplug.eu
created iso. still nothing.
downloaded and installed usbit from link on squeezeplug.eu
created iso of 6.02hf. No go
created iso of 6.02sf. still no go
watched the install video. Ran usbit as administrator. (the account i used has admin privilidge btw). Still nothing.
downloaded usbit version 1.59 from link. ran as admin still doesn't work.
I even tried squeezeplug v5 with no avail.
I moved the running raspbian from one machine to a second raspberry PI and it worked fine.
This has all been done from a windows 7 64bit home premium notebook.

Went to try sdformmater for mac on my macbook pro(intel i5). won't recognize the SD card. Went to the families mac mini (intel i7 box) It sees the card but it doesn't show up on the desktop. Did some research and there are alot of people who had trouble with SDHC cards and macs.

Was going to try it from a ubuntu box, but don't have a driver for the usb card reader I have.

So I have tried formatting two different 8 gig SD cards that came with the boxes
Tried two different disk image software
Tried three different versions of SqueezePlug
Tried a different OS to create SD from
I also tried the bootable ISO from USBIT site

What am i missing because i think i'm out options.

Thanks in advance!
d

castalla

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:46 pm

I suspect you have a new RPi ???

If so, then the Debian version on which squeezeplug depends is not compatible (as far as I know). Squeezeplug has not been updated for almost a year - the old boot files are not compatible with latest Pi versions..

I suggest you create a working Raspian - then follow the tutorial at AllThingsPi to install LMS - http://allthingspi.webspace.virginmedia.com/lms.php There's also a tutorial on this forum about installing Squeezelite ...

There's an alternative route - involves copying some of the boot files from a working Debian to the squeezeplug imaged sd card - sorry I don't have any further precise details. There are posts here on the forum about changing the boot files for new Pis & older programs.

edit:

Copy these files from a working Raspian card -

bootcode.bin
fixup.dat
start.elf

to the Squeezeplug imaged card

You can do this in Win by reading the boot folder on each card in Explorer.

Hope someone else can advise.

dalet

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:06 am

Castalla
Thanks for your speedy response. Yes on the new RPi's. I tried copying the files but it didn't work. I am going to try the tutorial at AllThingsPi. Really what I want is a vortexbox to act as server and RPi's for each room in the house.

.helge

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:46 am

dalet wrote:Castalla
Thanks for your speedy response. Yes on the new RPi's. I tried copying the files but it didn't work. I am going to try the tutorial at AllThingsPi. Really what I want is a vortexbox to act as server and RPi's for each room in the house.
Hi dalet,

if you want vortexbox as a server and the RPI's as players, then why do you need Squeezeplug? All you then need is an install instruction for squeezelite ore squeezeslave.
Or do you need servers in each room also?

Helge

StephenR

Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 am

dalet wrote:Castalla
That's what I'm trying to do. PiCorePlayer is Squeezelite without anything else. It works. So does Squeezeplug. I've had trouble with my DAC but that's a different story; with PiCorePlayer, Squeezeplug and RaspyFi.

Use wired network, audio jack out for starters. Noting fancy. If using PuTTY, then don't forget to max the window otherwise you might not see anything.

You might like to try Win32DiskImager. I don't think there's a need to format the card. Once connected to your WIn7 machine, delete the contents of the card. Fire up Win32DiskImager and burn the unzipped img file. I was using the USBIT but somewhere along the line (transition from XP to Win7 I think) I couldn't get it into the right mode hence Win32DiskImager.

cheers,

Stephen

Return to “Media centres”