CommanderROR

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:50 am

@woi_doi

It's too early to say, but it almost seems like your solution helped with my problem as well. I'll keep testing and see if ot now remains stable.
Thanks!

woi_doi

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:12 pm

dummy wrote:Any idea how to get LCD (16x2 or any other, Nokia...) to display the name of the currently playing song? I'm using SqueezeLite (or any other if it would help to change) and I want some API to query the player for the name of the song. I will create my own shell/python script which will poll the info (and share it here if it is any good). Did someone already did this?
Not so easy with Squeezelite, Triode hasn't created any hooks for people to grab the info, but Squeezeslave does by starting it with the "-l" switch. Just install lcdproc and it'll automatically display "now playing artist/track name". I'm sure there are ways to change how the info is displayed so it'll fit any size screen, I use a standard 16x2. A good starting place for how to go about the wiring is http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/0 ... ht-switch/ . I didn't bother with the on/off switch or brightness control. The contrast control is usefull though!

woi_doi

Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:17 pm

CommanderROR wrote:@woi_doi

It's too early to say, but it almost seems like your solution helped with my problem as well. I'll keep testing and see if ot now remains stable.
Thanks!

Glad if it's of some help as it was doing my head in with it's unpredictable crashing. I don't think that it was a problem when Truehl was building his own version of Raspian for Squeezeplug 5. He may have built version 6 around a build of Raspian that was being heavily modified by the foundation to get rid of sound and usb problems that was lurking around a few months back. Though having said that, an apt-get upgrade would have fixed that I assume. Anyway for now, I'm now 8 days running 24/7 without any problems so error logs will remain gone for me for now!

sprint95

Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:27 pm

sprint95 wrote: New files mean the one from latest Raspbian dated from Feb 2013 ?
Thierry
Hy all,
I have tried several method before succeeding to get my pi starting. In fact, just changing Bootload file and start files was not enough, the pi didn't boot. I copy paste the entire directory from raspbian to squeezeplug and then, the pi boot OK.
Now, I'm not sure of what I should run to get into the configuration because once I have expand the file system to the SD and reboot, each time I boot, I come to sh and no script are starting.
Could you let me know which script and the path to get it I have to start to finalyze the installation and have the squeezeplay working ? (this is the only thing I'd like to have running).
Thanks a lot
Thierry

sprint95

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi,

I've made some search and find out all scripts in sp directory.
So ok with that. My latest problem is that the alsa module is not started and no audio are detected by the script. And frankly speaking, I do not know how to make this working.
Any idea or explanation to check that ?
Thank you
Thierry

CommanderROR

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 pm

Not sure, but you might try uninstalling pulse audio since it sometimes stops asla from working.

Also, make sure to install the latest firmware (rpi-update) and also do a apt-get update and apt-get upgrade just to be sure.

Are you using a USB sound card btw.?

Oh, and you don't need the script directory, you can handle everything via the GUI by just running setup.

tom-pi

Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:45 am

tlipur wrote:wifi problems try this out...check out the last post.
http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=7857
Thanks, I'm giving it a try, hopefully tomorrow it's still running!

Tom

mkkyah

Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm checking my Squeezelite version and it says v0.9beta11(updated with setup menu).
Squeezelite has released v1 stable and v1.1beta, why is the setup menu update process not seeing new versions?

truehl

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

mkkyah wrote:I'm checking my Squeezelite version and it says v0.9beta11(updated with setup menu).
Squeezelite has released v1 stable and v1.1beta, why is the setup menu update process not seeing new versions?
It should be the latest version. The last version for armv6hf is 1.0. There is no 1.1 beta form armhf. I think Triode sometimes forgets to change the version numbers. To check this you can download the actual version and compare the md5 hashes.

I hope I'm right with this statement! Please correct me if I'm wrong!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

mkkyah

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:39 pm

truehl wrote:
mkkyah wrote:I'm checking my Squeezelite version and it says v0.9beta11(updated with setup menu).
It should be the latest version. The last version for armv6hf is 1.0. There is no 1.1 beta form armhf. I think Triode sometimes forgets to change the version numbers. To check this you can download the actual version and compare the md5 hashes.

I hope I'm right with this statement! Please correct me if I'm wrong!
Welcome back to the forum :)
Yes, you are right about the arm version, but my version stays as v0.9beta11.

truehl

Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:28 pm

mkkyah wrote:Yes, you are right about the arm version, but my version stays as v0.9beta11.
Yes, sorry for being so quiet the last two month! I'm having some health problems and a lot to do in my "first" job. I hope it will get better the next weeks!

I think the version info of SqueezeLite is not correct! Triode sometimes forgets to update the version info. You could check it by comparing the hash values of SqueezeLite!
truehl

dafydd123

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:33 pm

I've set up a Raspberry Pi with the latest download from squeezeplug.eu. Many thanks for creating such an interesting bit of software! I installed the software as described in the video and am running it using the Pi's internal audio card using squeezeserve and squeezelite. I placed my music on a Scandisk 32GB memory stick and all went well.

However, I've run into audio problems such as described in this and various other threads. After the Pi has been running for over 30 minutes I get one or two problems:

I either get a regular, rhythmic crackling sound

or a loud continual distortion but with a faint sound of the song that was playing in the background.

I've run apt-get update and messed about with the /etc/asound.conf file but nothing seems to work. I've now run out of ideas.

I don't want to purchase a USB sound / DAC card as the point of using the Pi was it's cheap solution to a media problem.

Also, the squeezeplug app on both the iPad and Android phone often won't list any radio stations? If I get the Pi working properly then I might buy something like iPeng, which may sort out my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Dafydd

mkkyah

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:00 pm

truehl wrote:
mkkyah wrote:Yes, you are right about the arm version, but my version stays as v0.9beta11.
Yes, sorry for being so quiet the last two month! I'm having some health problems and a lot to do in my "first" job. I hope it will get better the next weeks!

I think the version info of SqueezeLite is not correct! Triode sometimes forgets to update the version info. You could check it by comparing the hash values of SqueezeLite!
Nice to hear that everything is ok.
Yes, I got what you mean now, I will check.

mkkyah

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 pm

Thomas,
Hash checksums are different
11b9c83954e8ca69a68dbb7353e90064815e2f10 squeezelite installed
6a3db2420b8cbcd5819f8b6b2326d94196b17622 squeezelite-armv6hf 1.0 from download site
I have manually replaced the files and it's 1.0 now.

truehl

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:12 am

mkkyah wrote:Thomas,
6a3db2420b8cbcd5819f8b6b2326d94196b17622 squeezelite-armv6hf 1.0 from download site
Did you make an update of SqueezeLite from the SqueezeLite menu?
truehl

dafydd123

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:14 pm

A bit more info

Removed the asound.conf file last night and listened to the radio for over 2 hours no problems at all. Then played music, various tracks from various albums etc and all went fine. It was two thirds of a way through another albumn and then threw a fit. You can hear a faint version of the song but that is blasted into submission by a pulsing/stuck record kind of sound. It seems to me the internal sound card is tripping out.

At first I thought it might be related to the digital quality of the sound. Internet radio is around 48k and most of my music is either 128k, 192k or 320k. However as the the album was ripped at the same rate and it had played through 2/3rds of it no problem then I doubt it's that.

Maybe a power fluctuation is more likely? I'll try a powered hub for the memory stick, I may even Samba it to a network drive so that nothing is plugged in. I also have my Son's RPi to swap in as well.

Any ideas?

mkkyah

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:47 pm

truehl wrote:
mkkyah wrote:Thomas,
Did you make an update of SqueezeLite from the SqueezeLite menu?
Yes, I mean that with "Setup Menu Update". It seems like doing the job , but when I check the version with "squeezelite --version" I see that it has older version. You know I have 2 of them and both react same.
I can't read the process when updating, text is disappearing too fast. If there is a log which will help to you, let me know.

alexandali

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Been playing with squeezeplug a bit more.
I had a problem where the music library on a USB hard drive kept getting corrupted. Sometimes the cover art would disappear, otherwise the disk would crash and need formatting again.
The disk was formatted NTFS - I originally thought that it might be easier to copy the music from my 'big' library on a NAS by plugging the disk into a Windows PC. Writing to the disk via Samba seemed to be the problem, after adding new files the problem appeared. I've been playing with an old 40Gb disk to test , so no big problem. However I want to copy my whole music library, which is 400Gb of flac, and that would take a while. The fix appears to be formatting the disk EXT3 rather than NTFS and sticking with Samba to write the files into the library..
A strange issue - I have 2 LMS's on the network now, and squeezeplug is running squeezelite and the test LMS, when I power off /on the Pi, squeezelite always defaults to the other LMS running on another NAS box. Not sure how to correct this.
One other thing, what I really want is a good looking case that mounts the Rpi, a 2.5 in drive, and a powered USB hub with all the connecting cables inside. Any ideas gratefully accepted... Alex

castalla

Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:35 pm

squeezelite always defaults to the other LMS running on another NAS box. Not sure how to correct this.
This means it's discovering this NAS first. You can specify a particular LMS server in the squeezelite options: http://code.google.com/p/squeezelite/

uluru

Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:57 pm

Hi,
I have 3 problems with my squeezeplug installation:
1. I found that setup no longer works, it has the same effect as the clear command (clears the screen)
That's probably caused by my weekly

Code: Select all

apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade

After I found out setup no longer works I stopped updating7upgrading.
Is there a way to fix it or a new install would be better?

2. my squeezeplug has a mounted ext4 usb hdd connected on a powered usb hub, the disk works fine.
I have another raspi model b with xbian (latest version as of last weekend) and I would like to mount the ext4hdd at the squeezeplug like nfs.
The point is that despite configure and starting the nfs service with following commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/rpcbind start
sudo vi /etc/default/nfs-common
sudo nano /etc/default/nfs-common
sudo /etc/init.d/nfs-common restart
I can't manage to make xbian mount it. I always get an error:

mount.nfs: portmap query failed: RPC: Unable to receive - Connection refused
Is there something I'm missing?

3. despite samba service being active on my squeezeplug I can't manage to connect to it from a linux box, it looks like I'm missing some workgroup, username or some other setting.
Is there a guide to samba configuration on squeezeplug?
/etc/default/samba has no specific settings but the default ones.

thank you

aircooler

Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am

Hi,

Could someone help me setup LCD in squeezeplug please?

I have connected display but dont know how to start squeezeplug with command that will enable LCD support. Also dont know how to install lcdproc.

Thank you

loicvan

Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:00 pm

uluru wrote:Hi,
I have 3 problems with my squeezeplug installation:
1. I found that setup no longer works, it has the same effect as the clear command (clears the screen)
That's probably caused by my weekly

apt-get update && apt-get -y upgrade

After I found out setup no longer works I stopped updating7upgrading.
Is there a way to fix it or a new install would be better?
hello

I've got the same problem with a new install ...

.helge

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Hello squeezeplug community,

i would like to give some feedback on my experience with the Edimax' 7811UN Wifi dongle, which has been discussed in this thread earlier.

I was stuck with a clean install as some of you also reported. no matter what I tried at that point helped to make the Problem disappear. Therfore I used a ralink dongle instead. But last week I deceided to give the Edimax 7811 anoterh try with one of my three RPI Modules. So here is what I did and you could try:

download SP6.02
burn an SD Card plug it in.
boot the appliance
connect via LAN and putty
do an

apt-get update && aptget -YES upgrade
(takes hours!)
run SP Setup Tool
install LMS
install squeezelite
configure WiFi with WPA2-only settings (result: as expected does not work )
pause for a thought
explore SP Setup Tool
found entry "RPI firmware update"
examined the corresponding SP script and found "rpi-update" command
exit SP Setup Tool and run rpi-update as root
reboot the device
WiFi works.
Squeezeplug works.
Feeling puzzled...
feeling Happy :)
[/color]
Without really knowing what happend with this firmware update in the background, the symptom of a not-functioning-Edimax_7811UN is gone. :!: :?: Maybe it was an edimax firmware bug mentioned before, I don't know, and i don't really want to investigate at the moment.
But I hope this was it :) and it helps others.

@truehl: maybe it is a reasonable thought to create a new SP image (6.03), which incorporates the latest apt-get updates/upgrades plus the rpi-updates.
That would safe time for everyone who conducts updates. But don't feel obligated, employement comes first! (And a final Wheezy in May ;) )

everybody have nice weekend
Helge

uluru

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:42 am

Alright, given my (minor) stability issues with logitech media server I decided to follow the advice I was given earlier in this thread and install a nightly, but I found out that there are two nightly, the 7.7 branch and the 7.8 one.

Which one is better on the pi?

thank you

.helge

Fri May 03, 2013 1:30 pm

uluru wrote:Alright, given my (minor) stability issues with logitech media server I decided to follow the advice I was given earlier in this thread and install a nightly, but I found out that there are two nightly, the 7.7 branch and the 7.8 one.

Which one is better on the pi?

thank you
Hi uluru,

I have no stability issues with the Version that is shipped by Sueezeplug except for playback that involves syncronization and lame. So I switched back to PCM (uninstalled lame).

But I will start testing version 7.8 tonight, and report back if I experienced any flaws.
In the meantime I suggest you study the Changelog for 7.8 and decide wether or not you yourself should give it a try.
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7 ... elog7.html
The more people test, the better we can get...

regards,
Helge

Return to “Media centres”