drgeoff

Re: SqueezePlug Version 6 available

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:56 pm

castalla wrote:I don't know why, but the output from my 3.5mm analog has always been stutter free & reasonable sound quality ... I can't imagine whether a cheap dac would be an improvement or not.
Depends how good your lugholes are!

(Technically it is roughly equivalent to 11 bit samples.)

castalla

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:04 pm

That's it then! ... but there are no crackles that others complain about :?:

TechLife127

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:26 pm

truehl wrote:
TechLife127 wrote:I have a DAC coming, but in the meantime, I have been playing with this through the HDMI out. My music library and Pandora are working fine. The issue I am having is that I have no audio from Spotify. I have a premium account and can browse the music and select what I want just fine, but there's no output.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, I'd really like to get this working.
You are using the SF version, right?
Yes.

TechLife127

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:28 pm

SoundSunPleasure wrote:
TechLife127 wrote:I have a DAC coming, but in the meantime, I have been playing with this through the HDMI out. My music library and Pandora are working fine.
Do you have any 24-bit/96kHz FLAC files, and are they playing fine? Just curious if that's working for people.
I don't. All of my content is Apple Lossless. I'll see if I can dig one up and report back.

truehl

Images updated to SqueezePlug V 6.02

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi folks,
I've updated the downloadable images on my website to version 6.02.

If you are new to SqueezePlug and you did not burn an image of SqueezePlug before, there is no update to version 6.02 necessary, all patches are included. If you are an "old" SqueezePlug user, you should make an update to version 6.02 directly from SqueezePlug as mentioned before. There is no need to "burn" a new image!

Have fun,
Thomas

Feel free to donate my SqueezePlug project:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... M49ARYWK6C
thanks a lot!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de

hestbank

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:22 pm

castalla wrote: I don't know why, but the output from my 3.5mm analog has always been stutter free & reasonable sound quality ...
My 3.5mm analog was fine on version 4 but not ok on version 6. There was no Spotify functionality with version 4.
castalla wrote: I can't imagine whether a cheap dac would be an improvement or not.
I don't need to imagine, the 3.5mm was stuttering with version 6 but the cheap dac is allowing me to listen to Spotify using Squeezelite on version 6.01 (now 6.02 since this afternoon!).

Just reporting my experiences here.

All the best

Trixster

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Thomas, back from skiing and have just updated to 6.02. Wifi now works perfectly with my edimax dongle, so all is well! Thanks.

m4rky

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:08 pm

I have upgraded to 6.02 and it is working fine on my original r-pi 256MB. But I am having wireless network issues with my new r-pi 512MB.

It looks as though the wireless connection is not as good on the 512MB pi as it is on the 256MB pi.

My router is reporting the the 512MB pi wireless network is running at 1MB and when I ping it I get responses from 1ms to 150ms.
With the 256MB pi I get much more stable ping responses around 20ms.

Any ideas?

TechLife127

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm

OK. After seeing the new release, I decided to start from scratch and document it so we had a place to start troubleshooting. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded and unzipped softplug v6.02
2. Formatted SD card using "SD Formatter"
3. Copied SqueezePlug_SF_602.img to card using "WinDiskImager"
4. Safe ejected card, stuck in Pi and booted
5. SSHed into Pi, allowed update (not needed)
6. Expanded root file system and rebooted
7. Watched resizing procedure, completed successfully
8. Ran setup
9. Configured time zone
10. Updated Debian & rebooted
11. Added Samba link to my music share on my server
12. Installed LMS - allowed default settings
13. Configured LMS through browser, port 9000
14 . Installed SqueezeSlave - default settings

I'm not sure the HDMI has anything to do with the issue as previously believed. I was using an app to control and *thought* it was playing but maybe it wasn't. I am using the web interface for control for troubleshooting. I can choose Spotify, choose a track, start it playing and that's where the issue lies. It's "playing" for 2-5 seconds (though I hear nothing) and stops.
Last edited by TechLife127 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

castalla

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm

hestbank wrote:
castalla wrote: I don't know why, but the output from my 3.5mm analog has always been stutter free & reasonable sound quality ...
My 3.5mm analog was fine on version 4 but not ok on version 6. There was no Spotify functionality with version 4.
castalla wrote: I can't imagine whether a cheap dac would be an improvement or not.
I don't need to imagine, the 3.5mm was stuttering with version 6 but the cheap dac is allowing me to listen to Spotify using Squeezelite on version 6.01 (now 6.02 since this afternoon!).

Just reporting my experiences here.

All the best
Not disputing your experience! It's just strange that there appear to be so many differences in audio output from what I assume are basically the same pieces of equipment.

truehl

Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:40 pm

TechLife127 wrote:I'm not sure the HDMI has anything to do with the issue as previously believed. I was using an app to control and *thought* it was playing but maybe it wasn't. I am using the web interface for control for troubleshooting. I can choose Spotify, choose a track, start it playing and that's where the issue lies. It's "playing" for 2-5 seconds (though I hear nothing) and stops.
I have no access to my PIs right now, but in the Spotify settings of LMS there must be something similar to "always use Spotify helper". Did you try to configure something in the Spotify Plugin?

Btw. Do you use triodes Spotify plugin? Did you try SqueezeLite instead of SqueezeSlave?
truehl

misterpi

Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

vaugi wrote:
Hi Misterpi, I'm pretty new to this too, and I'm getting the same message on bootup using a RALINK 5370 USB wifi dongle.

I found editing the /etc/network/interfaces to look like the following worked for me:

Code: Select all

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The WLAN network interface
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.100
        network 192.168.1.0
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        wpa-ssid YourSSID
        wpa-psk YourPassword
Leaving the WPA_supplicant line in still caused it to throw up errors, so I just deleted it and the above worked. I'm fairly inexperienced at Linux so no idea what the actual problem is, maybe there still is a problem with Squeezeplug or our setups (at least we know it's not the usb chipset seeing as they are both different).
Hi vaugi,

Thanks for pointing out the solution.
I managed to solve the problem in another way. Connected my PC via VNC to the PI, then started WICD to configure the WLAN connection. Actually I just had to choose the network and type in the password of it. So now it works fine. Just the speed seems to be a little slow compared to ethernet....

Killerbee

Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:44 pm

For all you spotify junkies :D

I found this post http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... )&p=733864
A patched version of the spotify lib integrated in a hf spotify plugin for LMS.

Performs way better than the softfloat verison.

Thanks triode

Anxious

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 pm

For those people having size issues with the current image for the rasp pi ( I am using a 4gb SD card and the image is 500 sectors too big ).

Open the squeezeplug image in a hex editor and simply cut off the last 1 GB. You will be able to copy the image to the card and there wont be any problems.

There is an appendix of unused space inside the image you are removing with that method. Its very trivial. But works perfectly.

To be on the safe side make sure you only delete 0xFF bytes. As soon as the 0xFF sheme breaks stop removing data. Disordering data can be a critical failure.
Last edited by Anxious on Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steves999

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Killerbee wrote:For all you spotify junkies :D

Thanks triode
Sounds very cool...in what way does it perform better? I'm finding the SF version ok so far!

castalla

Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:50 pm

Anxious wrote:For those people having size issues with the current image for the rasp pi ( I am using a 4gb SD card and the image is 500 sectors too big ).

Open the squeezeplug image in a hex editor and simply cut off the last 1 GB. You will be able to copy the image to the card and there wont be any problems.

There is an appendix of unused space inside the image you are removing with that method. Its very trivial. But works perfectly.

To be on the safe side make sure you only delete 0xFF bytes. As soon as the 0xFF sheme breaks stop removing data. Disordering data can be a critical failure.
Or simply use USBit imager to write the card.

Killerbee

Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 pm

steves999 wrote:

Thanks triode
Sounds very cool...in what way does it perform better? I'm finding the SF version ok so far!
In general LMS on a raspbian hf performs better. Client responce, spotify queries etc.....

KB

steves999

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Killerbee wrote:
steves999 wrote:

Thanks triode
In general LMS on a raspbian hf performs better. Client responce, spotify queries etc.....

KB
Hmm...have to give it a go.....just have to find a time when I'm awake, at home and NOT using the system! Might be a while ;-)

Boomer

Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:28 pm

Thomas,

Thanks again for all of your work on this. I had everything working great with V.5. I installed the 6.02 version today and have a couple of problems that seem to have affected others:

1. I installed SqueezeLite but when I run my LMS server, it doesn't "see" the SqueezeLite. (I did not name it, which I gather may be a problem).

2. I have tons of music files on a Synology NAS but I can't get the Pi to load the library.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Jack

steves999

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:34 am

KB[/quote]

Hmm...have to give it a go.....just have to find a time when I'm awake, at home and NOT using the system! Might be a while ;-)[/quote]

Done it! Now running 6.02 HF with Triode's 2.2.11test spotify plugin....everything seems to work. Now rescanning - I'll see if it's any snappier tomorrow.
(btw - a pretty easy rebuild for me as I only use the RPi as LMS - I use SB3s, a Joggler and an android tablet as players!)

Thanks as ever to truehl and triode.....

TechLife127

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:10 am

truehl wrote:Did you try to configure something in the Spotify Plugin?
No
truehl wrote:Btw. Do you use triodes Spotify plugin?
No. I just installed v2.2.5 to test and see the following error on the config page under self test:"Player Unable to Connect - Player did not connect to helper app - check your firewall allows the helper app to receive incoming connections from players on the helper app port defined above" referring to "/var/lib/squeezeboxserver/cache/InstalledPlugins/Plugins/Spotify/Bin/arm-linux/spotifyd"
truehl wrote:Did you try SqueezeLite instead of SqueezeSlave?
No

tw99

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:29 pm

steves999 wrote: Hmm...have to give it a go.....just have to find a time when I'm awake, at home and NOT using the system! Might be a while ;-)
The latest page on that spotify forum thread says that there is a native hard-float armv6 spotify library in Beta now (as of today). That's got to be a better solution than a bodge to make the soft-float version run in a hard-float environment. So hopefully Triode will produce a version of his LMS plugin that incorporates this library and we can just install that.

https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/

truehl

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 pm

tw99 wrote:
steves999 wrote: Hmm...have to give it a go.....just have to find a time when I'm awake, at home and NOT using the system! Might be a while ;-)
The latest page on that spotify forum thread says that there is a native hard-float armv6 spotify library in Beta now (as of today). That's got to be a better solution than a bodge to make the soft-float version run in a hard-float environment. So hopefully Triode will produce a version of his LMS plugin that incorporates this library and we can just install that.

https://developer.spotify.com/technologies/libspotify/
Triode informed me a few days ago that he has made a beta version of his Spotify Plugin in place for Raspbian HF. I've had no time so far to check it out, but I hope it works. If this is true, that would be a great step ahead for SqueezePlug and one reason for the SF version would disappear. So I hope I'll be able to test it the next days.

I'm not sure about the need of the SF version, if Spotify runs on HF. What else do you use with SqueezePlug not running in HF?
truehl

tw99

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:51 pm

truehl wrote:
I'm not sure about the need of the SF version, if Spotify runs on HF. What else do you use with SqueezePlug not running in HF?
For me, it was only the Spotify plugin...

antonholmstedt

Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:23 am

Hi Truehl,

Just wanted to let you know that I got Squeezeplug SF working with Berryboot :)

But since the HF spotify version is out, I will try with that one now instead.

Return to “Media centres”