macrony

Raspberry Pi 4 Media Center - KODI & Steam Link on top of Raspbian

Fri May 08, 2020 8:01 am

Hello everyone !

First, thank for taking the time to help me !

I recently purchased a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GO RAM) in order to set up a media center for the TV in the living room. I want to use a Raspberry Pi insted of connecting the laptop to the television.

I want so be able to do the following:
  • Use Steam Link to stream game from desktop;
    Stream movies from my Plex Media Server.
I understand that the best way to achieve (2) is to install LibreELEC - OMCS in order to run KODI and access my media on my Plex Server.

However, I don't know how I would be able to achieve (1) and to switch between KODI and Steam Link.

I think the best way is to install everything on top of Raspbian (already installed on the SD card).

How would I make it simple to use and to switch between KODI and Steam Link (ideally using a Android Smartphone) ?

Thank a lot for your help !

As a total beginner, I have spend several hours researching and trying to understand solutions but I am stucked.

Have a good day !

snowballEarth

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Media Center - KODI & Steam Link on top of Raspbian

Fri May 08, 2020 3:04 pm

Yep, you're on the right track. I would get both steam link and plex on one sd card by installing both from within a Raspbian OS image.
After raspbian installed then open terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install steamlink
Youtuber Eta Prime has a great tutorial on setting up steamlink.

For Plex, first install Kodi.

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install kodi
You'll then need to open kodi (reboot if it's running slow) then grab Plex from the official Kodi repository

I believe there are ways of using your phone as a mouse and keyboard, or even your game controller.
Search the play store for kodi remote control, or look into VNC viewer to control raspberry pi's. Steam link should automatically register xbox ps4 controllers etc.
Or invest in a relatively cheap wireless mouse keyboard for ease

macrony

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 Media Center - KODI & Steam Link on top of Raspbian

Mon May 11, 2020 11:34 am

Thank you for your answer.

It seems to be working ! I added VNC to be able to use my smartphone as a remote.

Return to “Media centres”