Goontown

Pinet hosted media center on RPI 4?

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi!
As a recent school project, I tried using the ltsp based fat client (inside a Ubuntu 16.04 chroot) Pinet as a base to run some services such as Retropie,kodi and playing videos from a smb share on the hosting computer.
It uses a RPI3b+ for the client. And although many services run at a satisfying quality of service, the 4GB of ram that is offered with the RPI 4 would make a huge difference.
Here’s the catch.
The pinet “os” or rather rasbian, runs on arm v 7.
The new RPI4 runs on arm v8 if I understand correctly.
Will the RPI 4 be able to boot the chrooted rasbian os image out of the box?
It’s also to my understanding that the new RPI will use a 86x bit structure and as rasbian jessi runs on 32bit structure so I’m feeling some action will have to be made.

Any thoughts or advice ??

fruitoftheloom

Re: Pinet hosted media center on RPI 4?

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 am

Goontown wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:18 pm
Hi!
As a recent school project, I tried using the ltsp based fat client (inside a Ubuntu 16.04 chroot) Pinet as a base to run some services such as Retropie,kodi and playing videos from a smb share on the hosting computer.
It uses a RPI3b+ for the client. And although many services run at a satisfying quality of service, the 4GB of ram that is offered with the RPI 4 would make a huge difference.
Here’s the catch.
The pinet “os” or rather rasbian, runs on arm v 7.
The new RPI4 runs on arm v8 if I understand correctly.
Will the RPI 4 be able to boot the chrooted rasbian os image out of the box?
It’s also to my understanding that the new RPI will use a 86x bit structure and as rasbian jessi runs on 32bit structure so I’m feeling some action will have to be made.

Any thoughts or advice ??

There is nothing x86 CPU Architecture about Raspberry Pis, they are ALL ARM CPU Architecture.

The RPi 2B v1.2 and later are ARMv8

The RPi 2B v1.1 is ARMv7

The RPi 1 series and Zero are ARMv6

Raspbian Jessie, Stretch and Buster are all based of Debian ARMHF ARMv7 32bit, compiled to run on ALL models of Raspberry Pi SBC.

The Raspberry Pi 4B requires Raspbian Buster Operating System which as yet PiNET does not support:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1484207

Unfortunately the developer gets very little help to completely re-write PiNET, which is a shame.

Raspbian Jessie is end of life, Raspbian Stretch will going forward only receive security updates and patches, therefore as of the 20th June 2019 Raspbian Buster is the RPF / RPT supported ARM32 Operating System.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Gbaman

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:18 am

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7#p1484207

Unfortunately the developer gets very little help to completely re-write PiNET, which is a shame.
Developer of PiNet here. I can confirm fruitoftheloom is right with the above statement. I get no prewarning or any assistance nowadays from the Raspberry Pi Foundation in relation to new hardware/software updates. Monday was the first I had heard of the new Pi 4, along with Raspbian Buster coming along this early.
Having spent the past 2 evenings after work working through the changes, PiNet will be a while... The fact Pi 4 requires Buster, it means getting Buster working first with PiNet, then figuring out how to get Pi 4 working. The fact both were released at the same time, means all the work done on PiNet Stretch is thrown out the window and started again for Buster.

So far I have PiNet Buster booting on an older Pi (in this case a Pi 2 as generally easiest to start with), but graphics driver errors (related to the new graphics stuff in Buster) and a number of other bits broke. Only once Buster works, I can actually start looking at what Pi 4 breaks...

So basically, PiNet Buster for Pi 4 is going to be a while... :cry:
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

michaelsage82

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 pm

The other thing, I would say, that will hold back pinet is that PXE boot isn't possible yet...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md

Gbaman

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:25 pm

michaelsage82 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:31 pm
The other thing, I would say, that will hold back pinet is that PXE boot isn't possible yet...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... teeprom.md
PiNet uses a kernel/initramfs based boot process, so the kernel and a custom initramfs both are on the SD card anyway with all versions of PiNet. It is a decent bit quicker than the full "SD card-less booting", and is nicely supported on all versions of Raspberry Pi.

Eventually I will also offer "SD card-less booting", but for now not had the time to write to code to do it.
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.

Goontown

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:33 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks a lot for all the information you guys have provided and I hear your pain in the matter of having to trash all that work you guys made.

Guess I’ll spend my penny’s and coins on a new cpu cooler instead for now.

Do you think we will be able to convert current server configurations into the new version that will run on the RPI 4 later on in the future?

Gbaman

Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:27 pm

Goontown wrote:
Do you think we will be able to convert current server configurations into the new version that will run on the RPI 4 later on in the future?
In the past, moves in OS involve a new Raspbian OS build for PiNet. Given the Raspberry Pi Foundation don't recommend inplace upgrades, that is the path I am looking at for PiNet for the move to Buster.
You shouldn't have to reinstall the whole PiNet server though, PiNet will just reinstall the Raspbian OS from scratch. This will mean any customisations to the Raspbian OS image itself will be reset, but user data will be kept.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 pm

Goontown wrote:
Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks a lot for all the information you guys have provided and I hear your pain in the matter of having to trash all that work you guys made.

Guess I’ll spend my penny’s and coins on a new cpu cooler instead for now.

PiServer may be an alternative ??

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piserver/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

incognitum

Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:40 pm
PiServer may be an alternative ??
Pi 4 does not support booting from network yet...
So that would not work without messing with SD cards.

Return to “Media centres”