dancytron

Has anyone tested how the Raspi 4 does with Netflix?

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 pm

I am thinking I could set it up for my 80+ year old mother to substitute for the kind of crappy first gen Roku dongle she is using now. She has trouble using it, but with a Raspberry I could control the interface and make it easy and also set it up so I could login with rdesktop or vlc to do stuff for her remotely. Also, it would work with her tablet, which the Roku kind of, but not really, does.

But it has to work well with Netflix, since that is her main source of TV and she already can use it.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Has anyone tested how the Raspi 4 does with Netflix?

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:47 am

dancytron wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:08 pm

I am thinking I could set it up for my 80+ year old mother to substitute for the kind of crappy first gen Roku dongle she is using now. She has trouble using it, but with a Raspberry I could control the interface and make it easy and also set it up so I could login with rdesktop or vlc to do stuff for her remotely. Also, it would work with her tablet, which the Roku kind of, but not really, does.

But it has to work well with Netflix, since that is her main source of TV and she already can use it.

Netflix requires DRM and a Raspberry Pi is not classed as a Secure Platform.

There are work-arounds to install Widevine DRM in chromium-browser, but not "officially" supported.
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

dancytron

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:55 am

!@#%!#$

Okay, thanks. I knew that it wouldn't run on rooted android devices, so I guess they put the Pi is in the same category.

I wonder how is the Raspberry Pi less secure than an x86 computer for DRM purposes, but Netflix is going to do what they are going to do.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:32 am

dancytron wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:55 am
[email protected]#%!#$

Okay, thanks. I knew that it wouldn't run on rooted android devices, so I guess they put the Pi is in the same category.

I wonder how is the Raspberry Pi less secure than an x86 computer for DRM purposes, but Netflix is going to do what they are going to do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Widevine

Maybe try Vivaldi Browser:

https://help.vivaldi.com/article/raspberry-pi/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

G160

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:24 pm

If u use LibreELEC , or any other Kodi then Netflix works however due to widevine and the fact that it has to decode through software, the max resolution is 720p unfortunately.

Return to “Media centres”