Garjen

Noob advice needed

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:24 pm

I'm thinking of creating a PVR using a ras pie and TV hat.
Trouble is I don't know what I need having never used one before.

Would love some pointers

topguy

Re: Noob advice needed

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Garjen

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:59 am

topguy wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:38 pm
Maybe this one:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/raspb ... -hat-kodi/
Thank you. Looks like a great shout. Bit worried about Kodi thought it was illigal? Also do I need a pi on its own or a starter kit. With power and as card?

scotty101

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:08 am

Garjen wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:59 am
Bit worried about Kodi thought it was illigal?
Kodi is not illegal. It is Kodi Plugins that allow the free streaming of shows from subscription services that are legally questionable.

Buy a starter kit as you are likely to need some of the part in order to initially setup the Kodi box.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

mihailolja

Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:08 am

I'm trying to achieve the same thing as you Garjen, how did you get on?

My Pi3 refuses to play live tv and I've no idea what to check, furthermore noone seems to know on the web either! My Samsung TV which uses the same aerial is perfectly fine.

Regards

Mihaio

DarrenHill

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:03 pm

One tricky item I found last time I set up a TVH server was that even when you set your location to get the transmitter frequency information etc (so it knows where to scan for the channels), some of them seem to be missing certain frequencies.

So it's worthwhile once you put your local transmitter details in to see what frequencies it proposes, and to then cross-reference them with the ones on your TV. On most TV's if you check the info for the channels it gives you the transmitter frequency, and if TVH's set-up doesn't include that frequency then you won't see anything transmitted on it.

It's also critical to make sure that you use the correct set-up. For example my TVH always for some reason sees my backend source (a HDHomeRun Connect) as a DVB-S source when it's actually DVB-T. It's trivial when you're going through the set-up wizard in TVH to change it, but if you don't then of course it doesn't work.

Return to “Media centres”