morcego

Audio Stream "Radio" Box

Tue May 28, 2019 8:06 am

Hello guys, my name's Pedro, and i recently started a project to create a sort of Portable Audio Station using the Raspberry (i'm a newbie).

The installation went ok, but since the Raspberry will be in a closed box, i installed VLC so i could connect via mobile app to control what the raspberry plays in VLC, i'm currently using VLC Mobile Remote.

The first problem was to load on boot the vlc, so i did the next steps:

Edit “/etc/rc.local”

$ sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Before “exit 0” type line below. “su - pi -c” makes it run as user pi, and not root. VLC refuses to run as root. Remember quote marks around the vlc string. “cvlc” runs VLC without command line interface.

(sleep 5; su - pi -c "cvlc playlist.m3u") &

Doing this, i was manage to boot on startup the command version of VLC, and it interacts with the VLC Mobile Remote, but when i close the app on the mobile it shuts down the VLC app, and that's where the "problem" start , to relaunch the VLC either i start it manually or i'll boot up again the raspberry pi so the vlc can be active again, what i need, and am not able to do, is, if we close the VLC app it loads again without being forced to a new boot of the machine, since, the project is to put the raspberry pi in a closed box without direct access, to it to launch it manually.

Is there anyway to force a load VLC app everytime it closes, kind of like "explorer in Windows".

Thank you guys

DarrenHill

Re: Audio Stream "Radio" Box

Thu May 30, 2019 6:23 pm

If you're just wanting a music player, can I suggest you look at something like Volumio or Pi Music Box as dedicated systems? There are a few other options out there as well if you feel like having a search using your engine of choice.

They are easy to set up, and generally come with either a web interface or a companion app (or both) that you can use to control them. I personally use Volumio on a Pi Zero with a DAC board and a couple of old PC speakers as a nice little internet radio. Works fine, and can be controlled via an app, web interface or on my set-up an actual remote control.

morcego

Fri May 31, 2019 10:39 am

Hey Darrenhill

I'm checking the Volumio suggestion, are you using a Volumio Free or one of the paid versions? Is it hard to load it on boot of the Pi or is it more simple than configure the VLC on boot?

I'm a noob in these things, and any help is welcome.

DarrenHill

Fri May 31, 2019 3:24 pm

I'm just using the free one, works fine for what I need.

Basically rather than running it under Raspbian as you do for VLC, you download their image file and burn that to the SD card instead (same way you did to get Raspbian (or Noobs) on there. See their Getting Started and Quick Start guides for more details.

Basically it will turn the Pi into a dedicated music player and internet radio.

Return to “Media centres”