ProDave

Pi Music box won't play local files

Thu May 09, 2019 1:26 pm

I have just set up a Pi Music box.

It is working, and will play internet radio stations.

I have copied a load of existing music files to the memory card,. It recognises them and lists the artist, album name and track names when you browse to them, but it won't play them.

The tracks appear in the queue.

At the bottom right on the web interface it shows the triange "play" symbol suggesting it is not playing anything and inviting you to start it. If you pres the play button, it very briefly shows the "pause" symbol before instantly reverting to showing the "play" symbol again.

for reference, when it is correctly playing a radio station, that is normallly showing the "pause" button bottom right.

What am I doing wrong please?

k-pi

Re: Pi Music box won't play local files

Thu May 09, 2019 6:26 pm

You may need to load the appropriate codecs for your music files.

ProDave

Thu May 09, 2019 8:02 pm

Some are .WMA files and others .m4a (all ripped from CD at various times)

How would I check if the right codecs are there (The Pi Music Box instructions does not say) and how would I load the right ones if not already there?

I am a Pi novice.

I have a Linux PC and can SSH with Putty to check what is going on, or simply just copy new files to the memory card. If only I knew what to do.

Thanks

ProDave

Fri May 10, 2019 3:37 pm

Well I have found a work around.

I have re ripped one of my CD's and stored it as MP3 and the Music box plays that okay.

So it looks like the Pi Music box supports MP3 files but not WMA or M4A fies.

It is a shame nobody seems to have published a list of what file formats it will support and how (if) you can load extra codecs to make is support more file formats.

Looks like I am going to have to spend a lot of time to re rip all my CD's into MP3 format then.

kingosticks

Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 am

Would be great if you could start such a list and subject a documentation improvement.

Return to “Media centres”