Spaker

BERRYBAK: Pi+DAC+AMP+RCA IN & OUT+3.5mm IN & OUT+MONO RCA SUB OUT+Case

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:33 am

BERRYBAK

I am posting this in case there is ever someone who obtains one of these cool, yet rare and obscure RPi based "expansion kit." The Berrybak is an enclosure, with integrated AMP & DAC to use with a Raspberry Pi. Hunting this info online was a pain for me, so I am putting links here to store for the off chance someone else finds themselves in the same position I was in: in need of the files and instructions for configuring this fun, weird little spaceradio.

I have had the "Berrybak," an "All-In-One" Pi centered Audio device with plenty of fun extras, for months. I hadn't gone past the hardware assembly and my Berrybak didn't play a sound until I already had owned it for about half a year.

So what the heck is a Berrybak?
Start with a case, complete with volume (+on/off) knob, 2 additional (power only) USB front charging ports, and Input Selector.
Inside the case: The Pi (not included,) a series of PCBs, linked together and to the Pi that include a 2x15w Amp, and a DAC.
Power supply and Pi have to be provided by and Berrybak has to be assembled by the user. I am using a 12V3A laptop style power brick. This powers everything: the Pi, DAC, and Amp. There is no need to power the Pi through the usual USB micro input. 12V3A is about perfect to push a total of 30 watts (15wx2 speakers) for the amp, Pi and DAC. A sloppy* rule of thumb with power supplies for amplifiers is to multiply the Volts times the Amps = total Watts. 12x3 is 36; the amp can push 30 with 6 watts left over to power the rest.
Has a headphone out, as well as RCA stereo outs and a mono RCA sub-woofer out with separate trim control.
Stereo RCA inputs, and a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo input.
Four (+/- L & +/- R) outputs for Two stereo speakers from embedded amp.
All of the Pi Input & Output connections (4 USB, HDMI, 3.5mm out, SD card, Ethernet, and the USB micro power are still accessible from outside the enclosure (Not the GPIO. Covered by enclosure and in use by Amp & DAC internal connection)

*By no means an exact science. But (V x A= W) is close enough for horseshoes and hand grenades.

------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------

So... a pretty cool device in theory. A single case, housing everything needed to be a networked desktop stereo with small speakers, as well as the ability to run RCA lines to a larger (or at least second) amplifier and dedicated sub-woofer. The ability to play from a second (and third) source via the RCA and 1/8" inputs only expand the possibilities of using the Berrybak instead of desktop computer speakers, or perhaps using the Berrybak in a bedroom or office with a TV as the secondary audio source, upgrading from internal TV speakers but not all the way to floor standing three way speaker towers with hundreds of watts of power in a home theater receiver.

This Berrybak thing seems to have come and gone without much attention from anyone. It was on Indiegogo, but I can't tell if that campaign ended before it was funded or not. It was for sale on eBay, where I got mine, thru sure-electronics. Sure has tons of audio stuff under that name and also under the brand "Wondom." The Berrybak eBay page still exists, though I do not think the unit can be purchased there any longer. Sure-Electronics has a pretty extensive catalog on their own website, but the Berrybak is nowhere to be found on sure-electronics.com. The website "berrybak.com" is listed inside the pamphlet manual, but is not a website for the Berrybak any longer, if it ever was.

Here is the eBay listing for the Berrybak: ebay.com/itm/BerryBak....

------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- ------------- -------------

my Berrybak...

Not being able to find any resources for Berrybak to help me with any kind of setup made things real complicated when I assembled my new toy and soon realized that whatever the on-board DAC was: it sure was not clear how to identify it, and nothing to tell me how to get Pi software like Volumio or OpenElec to use the DAC even if I knew what DAC was in there. Since I was trying to get Volumio to run on the Berrybak, I started asking questions I couldn't figure out within the Volumio website forum. After much persistence, someone found what I hadn't: instructions on where to get the DAC files needed to copy to the Volumio SD, how to do it and most important- a clue to what the heck kind of DAC was in this thing. He found that trail had started.... HERE. This website. From a one-post-account by a person with a sketchy command of the English language grammar rules, making me think the author was writing from sure-electronics, based in China. The post is below.

Anyone had any idea about combining an audio amplifier with
viewtopic.php?t=146366
BBKCM wrote: ADAU1701 is a prestigious and well-received DSP among audiophiles. With MCLK signal needed when working, it’s got tremendous audio potential with Raspberry Pi. It will be easy for you to install a 0dB, hassle-free and economic media center or AirPlay/DLNA terminal.
What bothers Pi lovers is that Raspberry Pi itself does not offer MCLK signal, leading to its malfunction with ADAU1701. Thereby your choices for DACs without MCLK are limited, along with loss of playability. Even if you prefer those DACs without MCLK, it would be more helpful with one more DSP working in Direct Mode Operation.
BerryBak Team discovered a way to recover the MCLK signal with a PLL chip. After numerous experiments, we proved its performance and the basic jitter status. With a tiny PCB, we solved this problem.
This PCB is completely open source. You can download the schematics and gerber files yourself to assemble your own MCLK restorer. No extra crystals are applied in order to entirely avoid clock asynchronization caused by subtle difference of crystal jitter frequency.
You are most welcomed to apply for free samples (shipping cost included), which are tiny PCBs pre-assembled with MCLK output and Reset for DSP. These PCBs will definitely bring you enormous pleasure in that it is able to connect to your previous DAC (with MCLK needed) and to your current ADAU1701.
Please visit our website http://www.berrybak.com to see more details.

Weird post.... right? Anyway, I got to this next... Step-By-Step Instructions for setting up the Berrybak DAC to work in Raspbian OR Volumio.

The only video the Berrybak people seem to have put out...
https://youtu.be/AQLB851Mjpk

ADAU1701 I²S audio driver
See Github repository for files and source code: ADAU1701 driver repo.

Comment on the used kernel version:
Users of the newest version of Raspbian Jessie (kernel version 4.9.35-v7+) have to update their kernel first, because needed modules weren't included at this time.

The current kernel version can be checked with the following command:

Code: Select all

uname -a
Update to Kernelversion 4.9.80-v7+ (higher versions also possible) with:

sudo rpi-update 5c80565

Installation guide for Raspbian (in a Terminal-Window or SSH-Client):

(Volumio users see below)

Install git:

sudo apt-get install git
Clone files:

git clone https://github.com/MKSounds/ADAU1701-I2S-Audio-Driver-for-Raspberry-Pi.git
Copy overlay file to overlays directory:

sudo cp ADAU1701-I2S-Audio-Driver-for-Raspberry-Pi/adau1701-i2s.dtbo /boot/overlays
Relink the overlay to the device tree: Therefore config.txt has to be modified.

Open the file with:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

Search for the following line and comment it with a hash (navigation with arrow keys):
#dtparam=audio=on

Add the following line at the end of the file:
dtoverlay=adau1701-i2s

Close the editor by pressing STRG+X and save the changes with y.

If you want to play files which don't use 48 kHz sample rate, you have to resample the audio data. Therefore a ALSA config file will be used, which will affect the whole audio output of the system.

Create file and open it (if it's already existing and there is code in it, you have to integrate the new code or delete the existing):

sudo nano ~/.asoundrc
Copy and paste the following lines (paste by right clicking):

pcm.InterpolatedOutput {

type plug

slave {

pcm "hw:0,0"

format S24_LE

rate 48000

}

}

pcm.!default InterpolatedOutput

Reboot:

sudo reboot

After a reboot the ADAU1701 I²S output should be present as an output device (without any controls!).

You can check if everything worked correctly by typing:

aplay -l
You should see the following output:
[email protected]:~ $ aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: Output [ADAU1701 I2S Output], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-dit-hifi dit-hifi-0 []

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

You are now able to play sound via music player of your choice (tested with Audacity and LX music player).

Installation guide for Volumio:

(Volumio version: 2.389 2018-03-26)

Set-up the volumio partition and go through the installation wizard. Don't choose an I²S-soundcard already.

Activate SSH via a SSH file directly in the boot partition or via DEV zone in Volumio: Link

SSH-user and -password are "volumio". For sudo commands you have to type the password again.

Install git (should be included in Volumio):

sudo apt-get install git
Clone files:

git clone https://github.com/MKSounds/ADAU1701-I2S-Audio-Driver-for-Raspberry-Pi.git
Copy overlay file to overlays directory:

sudo cp ADAU1701-I2S-Audio-Driver-for-Raspberry-Pi/adau1701-i2s.dtbo /boot/overlays
Integrate the ADAU1701 soundcard in the dropdown menue of Volumio:

Open the file dacs.json with:

sudo nano /volumio/app/plugins/system_controller/i2s_dacs/dacs.json
Add (copy&paste) the following line as new first device in the list of available I²S devices:

{"id":"adau1701-i2s","name":"ADAU1701 I2S Output","overlay":"adau1701-i2s","alsanum":"1","mixer":"","modules":"","script":"","needsreboot":"yes"},

Reboot:

sudo reboot
Now you can select the ADAU1701 as I2S DAC in the user interface of Volumio (the output device will be set automatically):

(Reboot will be required)

I am not finished yet, but wanted to get this info posted while I have it all in one place and it is fresh in my head. I'll refine and modify this post if need be. Chances are NOBODY will need this info. Ever. As far as I can tell, exactly TWO units were sold via eBay... and I can't tell if it was ever for sale on the sure website or if the Indiegogo campaign was even completed. I might be posting all this here for.... myself. I bet I'll need to remember the DAC and have to download the files again, months from now, when I forget that I had to do all this to use the Berrybak until after I do something like download a new copy of Volumio. Then again, who knows?

aficionadeau

Re: BERRYBAK: Pi+DAC+AMP+RCA IN & OUT+3.5mm IN & OUT+MONO RCA SUB OUT+Case

Wed May 01, 2019 2:24 pm

:o Hi

I bought this interesting kit last year.... and I contacted their support via ebay, and the told me to user the generic I2S dac... which works but the output is horribly too loud maybe because of my speakers.

When I tried to use the software volume control, playback becomes choppy and makes playback unusable.

Tried with PI B+, PI 2, PI 3 and tinkerboard, and all devices had same playback issues....

I left the PI B+ which is sufficient for my usage... I will give a try at your drivers, to see if the software volume control behaves in a more appropriate way.

I also used an old laptop power supply to power the device like you did....

Return to “Media centres”