beengone

Best setup for older Pi

Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:26 pm

I have a Model B v2 Rev 000e w/512MB RAM I'd like to set up as a media center and gaming box. I've done quite a bit of research and have some of it working, but am having trouble piecing together some details. Much of what I find for this older board is outdated and I don't think some of the newer tutorials are relevant, but I can't tell.

I've set up BerryBoot and have working installs of RetroPie and OpenElec. I think I have the RetroPie part under control for now, but if there's a better way to do all of this, I'm all ears. OpenElec seems to work and I have an external HDD I'm planning to put all my DVDs and CDs on I'm having trouble figuring out if I should transcode them or just buy the MPEG-2 CODEC. I'm reading conflicting reports on whether H.264 on these works with surround sound, and I'd like to keep surround. I think my CDs I can manage, but if there's anything I should be aware of, please let me know.

So, my main questions are:
- is my software setup the right one for this device?
- What is my best way to get my DVD content onto this HDD for playback? I don't care about menus and extra content. I do care about surround sound.
- Any other advice?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Best setup for older Pi

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:06 pm

beengone wrote:
I have a Model B v2 Rev 000e w/512MB RAM I'd like to set up as a media center and gaming box. I've done quite a bit of research and have some of it working, but am having trouble piecing together some details. Much of what I find for this older board is outdated and I don't think some of the newer tutorials are relevant, but I can't tell.

I've set up BerryBoot and have working installs of RetroPie and OpenElec. I think I have the RetroPie part under control for now, but if there's a better way to do all of this, I'm all ears. OpenElec seems to work and I have an external HDD I'm planning to put all my DVDs and CDs on I'm having trouble figuring out if I should transcode them or just buy the MPEG-2 CODEC. I'm reading conflicting reports on whether H.264 on these works with surround sound, and I'd like to keep surround. I think my CDs I can manage, but if there's anything I should be aware of, please let me know.

- What is my best way to get my DVD content onto this HDD for playback? I don't care about menus and extra content. I do care about surround sound.
- Any other advice?

IMO you are over complicating using BerryBoot.

Retropie 4.4 being based of Raspbian Stretch Lite has the option to add Kodi and a Desktop if you so wish, also they have separate images for the RPi single core family:

https://retropie.org.uk/
Retired disgracefully.....

beengone

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
beengone wrote:

- Any other advice?

Retropie 4.4 being based of Raspbian Stretch Lite has the option to add Kodi and a Desktop if you so wish, also they have separate images for the RPi single core family:

You're right. I maybe should have left that part out and may wish I didn't mess with it long-term. I do want some other OSes available that I didn't mention. HOwever, I may take your advice and start over as you said, then put anything else I need on another SD card. Chances are it won't get used since this will mostly be for a simple media/game center for the family. Good advice.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:01 pm

beengone wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:12 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
beengone wrote:

- Any other advice?

You're right. I maybe should have left that part out and may wish I didn't mess with it long-term. I do want some other OSes available that I didn't mention. HOwever, I may take your advice and start over as you said, then put anything else I need on another SD card. Chances are it won't get used since this will mostly be for a simple media/game center for the family. Good advice.

OpenElec has been replaced by LibreElec:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Archive:OpenELEC

Just a thought, Kodi 18 will include a RetroGame add-on, presently it is in Release Candidate status:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Games

https://libreelec.tv/2018/12/libreelec- ... 95-1-beta/
Retired disgracefully.....

Return to “Media centres”