controllerhappy

Simple Offline Media Player for road trip?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Would love to use my Pi zero W for the portability in the car but I have a Pi 3 as well I can use.

Here's what I wanted to do: I have a couple of flash drives (FAT32) with different videos. I wanted to be able to insert any of the flash drives in and play it through a game controller or IR tv remote. I tried the Kodi OSes (OSMC, LibreElec) but it's too overkill for my purposes. For OSMC, I like the minimal GUI so something similar would be great - however, with OSMC - I can't find a way to auto-mount or access my flash drives without going through so many menu clicks (adding source, rescanning, etc..)

I don't need to create thumbnails or fetch artwork/descriptions/subtitles.

I also tried Raspbian and while there's a way to use the omxplayer command at startup -- it works for one video but if I have a good 20 - 30 and want it organized -- I couldn't find any software. If you know of any, please do share.

The only thing I'm thinking of now is creating my own Python GUI in Kivy/Tkinter but learning it is setting me back since I'm a javascript developer. Electron won't compile with armv6 (for raspberry pi 0).

Thoughts?

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Simple Offline Media Player for road trip?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:12 pm

There is a GUI for OMXplayer as well.

controllerhappy

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 pm

I saw that - I was thinking more of a playlist gui but not a full media center like xbmc.

Johan_G3

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:55 am

I wrote a Apache/PHP/MySQL front for OMXplayer, unfortunatly only in swedish, but i could always translate it to english, event thou my english aint the best, just drop a mail or something if you want it.

A small, swedish, site about the project, mostely images thou.

toplink on the site, quick translation..

Spelarens startsida = Players startside (how the playuer looks when you start it).
Artister = Artists - List all artists in the DB
Katalog = Folder - Lists all folders/albums in the DB
All musik = All music - lists all musik (or video in video-mode selectable from the front-page "mediaval-button") in the DB
Spellistor = Playlists - All playlists you created.
Sök = Search - Search for Artist, title or folder/album
Ny katalog = Add new folder - Add the music or video in a folder to the DB.
Inställningar = Settings - Choose audio-output (hdmi/local) and where your music-video-folders are stored.

https://knytpunkt.com/mediapi

noggin

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:52 am

If you are using the VIDEOS->FILES route to play videos in Kodi, then I don't think you should have to do anything for USB drives to automount? You only need to scan content if you are adding it to the MOVIES/TV SHOWS library - which isn't what you want to do if you just want to play files from a stick?

I'd suggest having another look at LibreElec or OSMC. You can customise the Skin in settings to remove the front page menu items you don't want like MOVIES, TV, RADIO, TV SHOWS, WEATHER, FAVOURITES, ADD ONS etc. so you are just left with VIDEOS and MUSIC ?

LibreElec can also use a TSOP GPIO IR receiver (which is very simple to solder onto a Pi Zero and works nicely in the official Pi Zero case with the camera lid (hot glue the TSOP IR detector into the camera hole!) You can then use any spare IR remote you have - or if that's too much faff, a Pi Zero W with Bluetooth built-in will let you use a Bluetooth remote like the Fire TV remote or PS 3 Blu-ray remote?

A Pi 3B+ is a better overall platform for LibreElec though - and has more USB ports. (A Pi 3A+ is also a neat solution for a standalone media player now)

Return to “Media centres”