- Pi Hole
- Kodi, to stream from NAS
- Steam, to stream from gaming rig
- Probably some emulators (SNES, etc.)
- HIDs: Steam Controller and mobile apps (e.g. Kore)
1) Which OS is best for this?
I have experience with Mint (Cinnamon & XFCE) and so perhaps Ubuntu Server is closest to that but runs on ARM? Other options include OSMC and Raspbian of course. As Pi Hole would potentially mean the machine would be running all/a lot of the time and the other applications would only used sporadically, having a solution that uses minimal power at idle would be very useful.
2) Does this hardware cover everything I'll need?
* Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Link
* Power: Micro-USB PSU Link
* Case: DesignSpark Raspberry Pi Case Link + optional VESA mount for back of TV
* Steam Controller
* USB keyboard for initial install & configuration
* Old 32GB SD card from mobile phone
* Old HDMI cable
3) Power consumption: As Pi Hole would potentially be running 24x7x365 I thought I'd look into the running cost of this thing. Doing some rough power calculations using 15p/kWh as a rough UK electricity price the Model 3 B+ using 1.9W at idle I think only costs around £2.50 per year... £0.15 x 16.644 (1.9W x24 x365 / 1000 = 16.644 kW) Does £2.50 sound about right for a Pi?!