1uke_

Seeking advice about hard drives from PVR/DVR

Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:46 pm

After setting up the Raspberry Pi with the new DVB-T hat and TVHeadEnd I am now on the look out for a hard drive to store recordings.

Can anyone share a few insights on the following for me ......

• What size external Hard Drive do you think I would need?
  • Should I buy any hard drive in particular for this purpose?
  • Will I need to provide additional power to the external drive or will the Raspberry Pi be able to power it?
  • In addition to this my main criteria is keeping costs low so I am happy to look at picking up a second hard drive from ebay.
One final question
  • Untill I get my external hard drive would a USB pen drive work as external storage or willl it cause problems?

Andyroo

Re: Seeking advice about hard drives from PVR/DVR

Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:31 pm

Disk size depends on how much you want to keep :roll:

Depending on the compression (i.e. action will use more than stationary pictures) you can need 4Gb for an hour down to 2Gb - this is based on my Sony TV recording 1080p

Never buy second hand disks - it’s your data after all. I like Hitachi drives and avoid WD where possible (I know they are the same company but not the same plants). No need to buy an SSD - go for a good sized hard drive, with a cheap one for backup.

Power is a debatable question. Though the Pi will deliver 1.2 Amps through the USB (and 2.5inch drives use less than this)I Old use a powered enclosure or a powered hub at least.

I’ve used a USB stick before but the TV complained about disk size before every recording so I never gave it a solid trial.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

florca

Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 pm

Also worth thinking about how you want to use the drive before starting saving recordings, and format / partition accordingly! If only used with the Pi then a "native" Linux format (ext4) is better, but if you want to swap it onto Windows or Mac systems then consider exFAT (and install exfat-fuse / exfat-utils onto the Pi), which is heavier on the Pi CPU but overall more easily portable.

1uke_

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:47 pm

Andyroo wrote:

Depending on the compression (i.e. action will use more than stationary pictures) you can need 4Gb for an hour down to 2Gb - this is based on my Sony TV recording 1080p

Never buy second hand disks - it’s your data after all. I like Hitachi drives and avoid WD where possible (I know they are the same company but not the same plants). No need to buy an SSD - go for a good sized hard drive, with a cheap one for backup.

Power is a debatable question. Though the Pi will deliver 1.2 Amps through the USB (and 2.5inch drives use less than this)I Old use a powered enclosure or a powered hub at least.

I’ve used a USB stick before but the TV complained about disk size before every recording so I never gave it a solid trial.

@Andyroo In terms of 'keeping' recorded shows I will archive content to an external NAS.

Based on your information if I aim to be generous/cautions about storage and say each hour needs 4GB of storage then a 320GB hard drive would allow me to record 80 hours of footage. (320/4=80)

• Do you think 320GB would be enough storage?

1uke_

Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:51 pm

florca wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:42 pm
Also worth thinking about how you want to use the drive before starting saving recordings, and format / partition accordingly! If only used with the Pi then a "native" Linux format (ext4) is better, but if you want to swap it onto Windows or Mac systems then consider exFAT (and install exfat-fuse / exfat-utils onto the Pi), which is heavier on the Pi CPU but overall more easily portable.
@florca - This is a really good point to raise! I am familiar with ext4 as I have used it with OpenMedia vault.

I really like ext4 I've had no problems with it and it seems to be really robust.

I would like to be able to 'move' the files to other machines.

• Would I be able to also mount the drive as a SAMBA share or access it some other way over the network?
  • Would I be able to log in to the Pi via FTP and copy the file to another remote machine that way?

florca

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:34 pm

Would I be able to also mount the drive as a SAMBA share or access it some other way over the network?

Would I be able to log in to the Pi via FTP and copy the file to another remote machine that way?
Yes to both - if the plan is to leave the drive permanently attached to a Pi USB port then you can access via SAMBA (SMB), FTP or NFS. If you wanted to disconnect the drive from the Pi and attach to Windows or Mac via USB then (although opinions vary on this...) I'd suggest exFAT as the simplest solution where large (eg video) files are likely to be involved.

Andyroo

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 pm

1uke_ wrote:
Andyroo wrote:

@Andyroo In terms of 'keeping' recorded shows I will archive content to an external NAS.

Based on your information if I aim to be generous/cautions about storage and say each hour needs 4GB of storage then a 320GB hard drive would allow me to record 80 hours of footage. (320/4=80)

I would guess that’s fine - the original sky boxes only had a 300Gb disk. You could try a USB stick first till you are comfortable with the compression you are getting.

One other point - check the format of the external NAS drive as you may well end up with files larger than it can cope with :D
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

HawaiianPi

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:53 pm

1uke_ wrote:
...and say each hour needs 4GB of storage then a 320GB hard drive would allow me to record 80 hours of footage. (320/4=80)
More like 74.5 hours, due to the way storage manufacturers inflate capacity. What you actually get is roughly 7% less than advertised, because storage manufacturers define capacity in base 10 (1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes), while computers measure capacity in powers of 2 (1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes).

1uke_ wrote:
That's really up to you. It all comes down to how much you want to record and store vs price.

I routinely use a 2TB USB HDD on my Pi3B+ for media. It's a Samsung Spinpoint I harvested from a laptop and installed in an ORICO USB 3.0 external enclosure (BTW: it works fine when powered by the USB port on my Pi with the official RPF PSU, no extra power or hub needed).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “Media centres”