So I have a camper, it has a projector screen and a portable projector. I have been trying to decide the best way to watch films and TV while out in the middle of nowhere camping.
I have tried a chinese mirroring adapter for my phone as a quick and easy option but its rubbish and I have found out these adapter leads do not support apps such as Netflix, Prime etc.. so this is no longer an option
The easy and obvious option is to just use a big USB stick, download media before we go and have it plugged into the side of the projector. However I would prefer not to need to spend an afternoon planning what films and TV we may want to watch over the next week before we go and then be limited to only the things I have pre downloaded when we are away.
I want to use a Pi as a mobile media centre that I can use to access TV and films using my phone as a hotspot. It would also be nice to have an additional Pi running game emulators so I can switch between the two using the projector as the display. My ideal set up would also include an additional touchscreen interface which could be used to control the media centre. The gaming Pi can run straight to the projector and be controlled by a bluetooth gamepad.
- What is the best software to load onto each Pi for streaming media and playing Nintendo/Arcade games (I have used Kodi for media before but that was a few years back and there may be a better option now)
- Is it possible to have a small touchscreen interface as a separate display so menus, play/pause/back/forward/volume controls are on the touchscreen and the video is playing on the projector?
- What small touchscreen would you recommend if its possible?
- Am I right in thinking I can just have a simple HDMI selector to switch between the game and media Pis (both would be powered on or off by the same switch)
- What bluetooth gamepads would you recommend?
- Am I expecting far too much from a couple of £30 computers?!
This is as far as the plan has got