Tularis

Best PVR Software?

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Hey,

So I've been using LibreElec for my Media Centre to stream Videos from my Synology NAS but now I would like to start to record Broadcast TV. I've purchased a PCTV 292e [DVB-T, DVB-T2 and DVB-C] stick planning to use the VideoStation within the Synology but I can't seem to get a full EPG to plan recordings. (This is also the same for the TVCenter software bundled with the device...Lots of missing programs in the EPG.. )

My question is what would people recommend for the best PVR software to give me the ability to series link tv? Is it easy to configure LibreElec?

default_user8

Re: Best PVR Software?

Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Libreelec allows you to run tvheadend under kodi, i've used it before and it works very well once setup properly.
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Clay

Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 am

I have an RPi running TVHeadEnd server under Raspian as a headless media server and OTA DVR with a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun tuner. This is my "back end" server setup. At the TV I have a "front end" RPi running LibreElec. I have the TVHeadEnd front end client program running in the TV PVR section of the LibreElec.

The back end server RPi manages all the recording tasks, and has a 3TB USB HDD plugged into it. The front end RPi is responsible for playing the media that the back end RPi server has recorded and stored on the HDD. I can also access everything using the TVHeadEnd app on my Android phone. Everything works great. I am in the Los Angeles area and have LOTS (~180) of broadcast stations to choose from. I only choose to activate about 10 of them.

I used Zap2It for my TV listings and converted to XML using the scripts found here: http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/

The back end server system has been running flawlessly since January (9 months) with no reboots.

Good luck.

Clay

JulianFP

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:56 am

Clay wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:55 am
I have an RPi running TVHeadEnd server under Raspian as a headless media server and OTA DVR with a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun tuner. This is my "back end" server setup. At the TV I have a "front end" RPi running LibreElec. I have the TVHeadEnd front end client program running in the TV PVR section of the LibreElec.
Clay
Hi Clay,

This sounds very similar to what I'm trying to do except that my frontend device is an nVidia Shield running Official Kodi version for Android. Right now I'm actually running the TVHeadend on my Shield as well but I want to move it to a Pi 3 B+ that I just bought but I'm totally dead in the water on that at the moment. Maybe my timing just sucks given that the TVHeadend repo went down yesterday ( https://tvheadend.org/news/69 ).

Is that how you installed it, "sudo apt-get ..." from that repo? Do you or anyone know of any other way to get the TVHeadEnd server? As a Linux newbie I'd prefer not to end up having to build it from source, not sure how I'd do that anyway.

Since your backend Pi is headless did you use Raspbian Stretch Lite as the base OS rather than the full Raspbian that includes the desktop? To keep things streamlined I'm considering using Lite as the base since I would only ever SSH into it (or maybe install cockpit if I can work out how to do that) and am assuming I wouldn't really lose anything I need for a simple backend server running TVHeadend, some Logitech Media Server stuff and a software RAID 1 NAS.

I'm also using an HDHomerun (quad Freeview/OTA) tuner by the way. Did you need to install any drivers for that or was the TVHeadend server able to detect and connect to it without needing anything more? It certainly was on my nVidia Shield Android installation.

- Julian

DougieLawson

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:24 pm

There's tvheadend, kodi and the kodi pvr plugins in the standard Raspbian repo. I'm watching that right now on a 3B (not plus) with a TV tuner.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

DarrenHill

Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am

You can also set up a TVHeadend server under Docker on the Pi, either directly in Raspbian, under a more dedicated OS like HypriotOS or even in Kodi using LibreElec and their docker add-on (plus the linuxserver.io repo in the LE repo to get the TvH container).

I've got TvH servers both under LibreElec and on my dockerPi (HypriotOS) and both work fine fed by an HDHomeRun tuner (dual in my case).

Return to “Media centres”