ryanlitwiller

Portable Plex Pi Media Server and Hotspot Bridge

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Ultimately my goal is to server PMS on a local network in my car with access to the internet.

The solution I've been trying is setting up the pi to bridge wifi to the LAN using this tutorial: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-wifi-bridge/
So the pi3 will connect to my mobile hotspot and with its LAN port connect to a travel tp-link router I have.

I'm able to get the bridge to work and PMS separately but not together. I'm assuming that some of the forwarding that is happening setting up the bridge is conflicting with hosting a PMS.

I'm open to a completely different configuration, and was really surprised I wasn't able to find someone else on the net with this use case. If there was an easy way to connect the travel router to my hotspot that would be ideal. However looking this up I only see people trying to use their hotspot to connect there home router using two routers.

I'm a web developer but have always been pretty terrible with networking obviously.

Any help would be appreciated.

mutrised

Re: Portable Plex Pi Media Server and Hotspot Bridge

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi,

You mean

|The Internet| <-- 3/4G --> | Your phone | <-- wifi thethering --> | RPI | <-- RJ45 --> | Router | <-- ...

?

Sorry, but what is PMS ? (not an expert, but if the above is correct, I can help you, I did the same)
RPI2B 7/24 - web, NAS/media, Owncloud and more
RPI0 7/24 - VPN, DHCP, DNS (including filtering), wakeonlan proxy
RPI0W - VPN gateway providing secure WIFI AP and network router, some kind of internet BOX when on the move ;)

drgeoff

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:37 pm

Plex Media Server.

mutrised

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Ok... PMS... Almost obvious...

I see no reason it would not work. I set up a VPN gateway through wifi tethering without great trouble. And VPN bring limitation to network traffic that you should not have.

My first question would be: what is the use for the TP link router ?
You pi is idealy placed as a router between your internet gateway (phone) and network. Why would you add a router ? (it's a real question, I don't mean it is a bad idea ^^).

What I done is using my raspberry to connect to the Internet though wifi tethering, and create a wired network with DHCP. You then only need a ethernet switch.

You router may block something as well as the pi. HAve you configured firewall on both ?
RPI2B 7/24 - web, NAS/media, Owncloud and more
RPI0 7/24 - VPN, DHCP, DNS (including filtering), wakeonlan proxy
RPI0W - VPN gateway providing secure WIFI AP and network router, some kind of internet BOX when on the move ;)

Return to “Media centres”