Motoi

Fusion between two raspberry for a plex media server

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:47 am

Hey,
I created a plex media center on a raspberry pi 3B+. Works perfectly but a little bit too slow in my opinion, I know the problem isn't from the quality of the network (whitch is excellent).
I came in possession of a pi0w, and I wondered if it was possible to use it as a sort of an external processor, or something like that to boost up my plex server.

Thanks for you're time :)

drgeoff

Re: Fusion between two raspberry for a plex media server

Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 am

Short answer. No.

Longer answer. In what way is the 3B+ setup too slow for you?

Motoi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 am

Thanks for your answer,

Well, It works fine but I got to have an excellent network when playing a media, the conversion usually take too much time and timeout.

And some devices (like the ps4) can't even play the media and timeout also.

I saw there was a system of cluster that could be set up using a pi0, what is it exactly ?

Edit : forgot to specify a few things. All the movies and tv shows are stored on an external hard drive (self powered). The server is pretty consistant : 290 movies and 2 tv shows approximately

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:22 am

Motoi wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:50 am
Thanks for your answer,

Well, It works fine but I got to have an excellent network when playing a media, the conversion usually take too much time and timeout.

And some devices (like the ps4) can't even play the media and timeout also.

I saw there was a system of cluster that could be set up using a pi0, what is it exactly ?

Edit : forgot to specify a few things. All the movies and tv shows are stored on an external hard drive (self powered). The server is pretty consistant : 290 movies and 2 tv shows approximately

Thanks

Clustering / Parallel Processing / Distributed Computing is an interesting subject but you need software which is written for this purpose and still will run into I/O limitations.

The Raspberry Pis with Ethernet uses a USB/Ethernet Controller Chipset on the single USB 2 Bus to provide the 2/4 USB Ports and Ethernet, so you are running into I/O limitations.

What do mean by conversion ? surely your media files are in a format which your devices can play ??
Adieu

Motoi

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 am

What's the I/O limitation ?

And PMS isn't written to do that ?

Plex offer a service that convert your media (from 720p to 480p for exemple) so you can read them even with a slower network

Well my files are normal, .avi, .mkv or .mp4, works fine usually when directly plugged via USB

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:20 am

Motoi wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:49 am
What's the I/O limitation ?

And PMS isn't written to do that ?

Plex offer a service that convert your media (from 720p to 480p for exemple) so you can read them even with a slower network

Well my files are normal, .avi, .mkv or .mp4, works fine usually when directly plugged via USB

If you have Ethernet Connection and USB Hard Drive on the same RPi, as explained above, they are sharing the single USB2 BUS.........

https://github.com/wnielson/Plex-Remote ... /issues/56
Adieu

Return to “Media centres”