Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 8:15 am

Unfortunately, both my Sky Box (which I used for free view TV) and my Firestick broke around the same time. So my solution was to make my own out of a Raspberry Pi. I've used a Pi before, when I made a fairly basic robot last year that worked fine and was great fun to build with my eldest and teach him about programming and robotics.

I purchased a Pi 3 B+, along with all the other bits and pieces I needed. I had planned on using an external USB hard drive as I have a spare 500gb one, but due to power supply issues with the new 3B+, I'm just using a 32gb SD card for the time being and perhaps I'll add a networked drive at a later date when I need more storage. The 3B+ is a lot more power hungry than the 3 I was used to working with. I used Berry Boot as the primary OS, and added OpenElec 8.0.3, RetroPie and Debian.

Debian is the easiest part and works fine. (I wanted a desktop OS for general usage as well as the media centre)
RetroPie also works fine so far, but I haven't added anything new to it yet. I've just played a little Quake out of nostalgia as it was my favourite game in it's initial release, but I intend to add the Playstation emulator along with various other ports I want.

I'm mostly working on the OpenElec OS at the moment (which is based in Kodi 17 Krypton). I've set it up and so far YouTube and iPlayer are working just fine. I'm waiting on a USB aerial in the post so I can get the PVR working.

I'm sure this is a common problem - I want Netflix. It seemed simple enough, but I can't find a way around this snag. I downloaded the Alelec repository zip file off the web onto my PC and dropped it in the shared OpenElec folder on the network. I allowed 3rd party apps to install, then installed the repository from the zip file. I can access the repository fine, and I see the Chrome browser and Netflix XMBC add ons. But, when I click to install, nothing happens. Literally, nothing happens. No error or anything. I just click install and it doesn't do anything. Has anyone encountered this and found a way around it? Or is there a better way of getting Netflix working?

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 pm

Would it work better if I did away with the multiple OS's, and just installed RetroPie, adding Kodi to it? But as far as I can see, RetroPie installs Kodi 17.3 as well, so would I still be unable to get Netflix working? Or would the XMBC Netflix Add On work here? For bonus points, I wanted Prim Video to work, too, but I'm not this is possible at all.

Can I update Kodi on RetroPie to 18?

I used originally used Berryboot as I wanted to have a desktop OS as well, but that's not essential. I also wanted it to default into the media centre for when my kids turn it on, but be able to run Retropie as I chose to.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 16760
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Revenant wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:01 pm
Would it work better if I did away with the multiple OS's, and just installed RetroPie, adding Kodi to it? But as far as I can see, RetroPie installs Kodi 17.3 as well, so would I still be unable to get Netflix working? Or would the XMBC Netflix Add On work here? For bonus points, I wanted Prim Video to work, too, but I'm not this is possible at all.

Can I update Kodi on RetroPie to 18?

I used originally used Berryboot as I wanted to have a desktop OS as well, but that's not essential. I also wanted it to default into the media centre for when my kids turn it on, but be able to run Retropie as I chose to.

Netflix / Prime and similar requires DRM (Widevine) support, there is a workaround for chromium browser:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176402
Adieu

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5118
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 1:18 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Netflix / Prime and similar requires DRM (Widevine) support, there is a workaround for chromium browser:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176402
That post seems a little out of date.

I've found these instructions to work well with the latest version of chromium in our repo:
https://help.vivaldi.com/article/raspberry-pi/
You just need to follow the widevine section, skipping the flash stuff.

While testing the new chromium build an checking that widevine works, I did see some threads about netflix working in kodi, but didn't look into it too much. AFAIK, it's possible and should be a lot smoother than the chromium option.

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 1:29 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:18 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote: Netflix / Prime and similar requires DRM (Widevine) support, there is a workaround for chromium browser:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176402
That post seems a little out of date.

I've found these instructions to work well with the latest version of chromium in our repo:
https://help.vivaldi.com/article/raspberry-pi/
You just need to follow the widevine section, skipping the flash stuff.

While testing the new chromium build an checking that widevine works, I did see some threads about netflix working in kodi, but didn't look into it too much. AFAIK, it's possible and should be a lot smoother than the chromium option.
Thanks for the reply.

There is supposedly a way of making the XMBC Netflix addon work, but like I said earlier, it won't instal in the version I'm using. It might be because I'm using OpenElec, and wondered if it would work better in Kodi pure. I don't know - this is the first time I've used Kodi.

I hear you all saying to use the Chromium browser. This is pre-installed in the Debian OS, and OpenElec doesn't support a browser in anything more than text format. Will adding that browser to Kodi work if re-flash the card with just Retropie and install Kodi?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5118
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:36 pm
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 2:07 pm

The information about chromium is just there as an alternative approach to using kodi. Sorry if that's going off topic.

This would probably be the best source of information:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298461

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed May 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Kodi 18 (Leia) supports Netflix natively. You only need to install the Netflix addon, it has a dependency on the inputstreamhelper addon (available from the Kodi addon repo) which can automatically download the widevine libs needed to decode the streams.

You can download LibreELEC testbuilds with Kodi 18 from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=298461 - the first post also contains info where you can get the Netflix addon (just install the Netflix repo).

I've been using these build for about half a year and Netflix 720p streams work fine on my RPi3B+ - but keep in mind that Kodi 18 is still in early alpha state and some of the current builds can have issues.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu May 24, 2018 7:47 am

I re-flashed the SD card yesterday with just Retropie. I started the set up process, and installed Kodi, but I didn't have much time so I haven't finished the set up. Since it installed Krypton, I'll be trying to update it to Leah.

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 am

I'm not familiar with Retropie but keep in mind that in general you'll also need the inputstream.adaptive addon (plus it's dependencies) - which is already included in the LibreELEC testbuilds I linked to but may be missing on other Kodi 18 builds/installations.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu May 24, 2018 12:26 pm

HiassofT wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 am
I'm not familiar with Retropie but keep in mind that in general you'll also need the inputstream.adaptive addon (plus it's dependencies) - which is already included in the LibreELEC testbuilds I linked to but may be missing on other Kodi 18 builds/installations.

so long,

Hias
It will be missing from the build available on RetroPie - but I can add it, as long as I know what I'm looking for.

I thought about installing LibreELEC, as I've read it's more designed for what I'm interested in. But the main requirement was to have a media centre and a gaming console in one. If I can install LibreELEC as a ROM, I'll go with that. Otherwise, I know ways of making Netflix work in Kodi, but just not in the OpenELEC version that came with the original BerryBoot system I installed. That's kind of Kodi stripped down to it's basics so it'll run on anything, if I read about it right.

As I said, I also wanted a desktop included in the centre - but having just a web browser will do. Upgrading the Kodi to 18 should provide everything I need, if I've read it all right. I haven't delved too deeply into Prime Video yet, but I will do. It does look like Now TV is completely out, though. Still, I only ever use that these days for Gamne of Thrones - it'll probably be cheaper just to buy the next series and cancel that subscription.

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu May 24, 2018 1:01 pm

inputstream.adaptive source is avalable from here: https://github.com/peak3d/inputstream.adaptive if you can't get a prebuilt addon.

Kodi 18 also supports game addons, most of the libretro cores are available. The thing that's currently missing in Kodi is library integration to have a nice user interface like for audio and video. But you can eg use IARL for now if you don't like browsing through directories.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:41 pm

HiassofT wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:01 pm
inputstream.adaptive source is avalable from here: https://github.com/peak3d/inputstream.adaptive if you can't get a prebuilt addon.

Kodi 18 also supports game addons, most of the libretro cores are available. The thing that's currently missing in Kodi is library integration to have a nice user interface like for audio and video. But you can eg use IARL for now if you don't like browsing through directories.

so long,

Hias
Can I install this on top of Retropie? Or even with Berryboot so I can have 2 operating systems running?

I know you say it has game add ons, but before I wipe what I've got - what sort of game add ons? The purpose of having Retropie was for the PC ports, and Playstation games mostly.

I tried re-flashing and installing just Retropie with the Kodi add on. Unfortunately, I'm no better off. The version that it installs appears to be the same build of OpenElec, except without the PVR capability. I've tried following the instructions to add this, but I cannot figure out how to enter the terminal from either Kodi or Retropie. I tried exiting and it opens a terminal, but the commands don't work.

I solved the low power issue. Basically low quality power cable. I got a standard 2.5amp power supply for a Pi and it works fine now. Might try adding the HDD and see if it still has enough juice. Otherwise I'll stick with the 32gb SD and add a network drive later on for more storage.

Still have the same problem with the NetfliXMBC add on. I bypassed it by downloading the zip files on the PC and installing from there. Which means the Netflix add on works, but it requires a Chrome browser in order to actually work properly. I installed this, too, but it doesn't run in this version of Kodi.

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:59 pm

Berryboot is not supported with LibreELEC - it swaps out the kernel and firmware to different versions and causes lots of issues - but you can use NOOBS or probably PINN (never tested the latter myself, though) if you want to create a multi-boot SD card.

Kodi 18 / LibreELEC will include (almost) all libretro emulators, here's the current list of addons (just look for the game.* addons there) https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC. ... ary-addons

As Kodi 18 is still missing a nice frontend for game selection and at alpha stage a dual-boot NOOBS/PINN installation of Retropie (or Lakka) plus LibreELEC testbuilds (for Netflix) might be the best solution ATM.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:22 am

HiassofT wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:59 pm
Berryboot is not supported with LibreELEC - it swaps out the kernel and firmware to different versions and causes lots of issues - but you can use NOOBS or probably PINN (never tested the latter myself, though) if you want to create a multi-boot SD card.

Kodi 18 / LibreELEC will include (almost) all libretro emulators, here's the current list of addons (just look for the game.* addons there) https://github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC. ... ary-addons

As Kodi 18 is still missing a nice frontend for game selection and at alpha stage a dual-boot NOOBS/PINN installation of Retropie (or Lakka) plus LibreELEC testbuilds (for Netflix) might be the best solution ATM.

so long,

Hias
If I can add the emulators I want, then it maybe a good solution to do it that way.
I tried palying with NOOBS, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of OS available.

I'm gonna look into installing Kodi 18 as the sole OS and see if I can make that work. I tried LibreELEC but it looks exactly the same to me, I'm not fussed on the UI and it keeps crashing when I try to get he PVR working. If Netflix and Prime are native to Leah, and it can handle the Emulators I wanted, I think it's the right way forward. Even if it's in Alpha.

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm

HiassofT wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 1:01 pm
inputstream.adaptive source is avalable from here: https://github.com/peak3d/inputstream.adaptive if you can't get a prebuilt addon.

Kodi 18 also supports game addons, most of the libretro cores are available. The thing that's currently missing in Kodi is library integration to have a nice user interface like for audio and video. But you can eg use IARL for now if you don't like browsing through directories.

so long,

Hias
I've just tried installing all this. Kodi 18 updated fine.
I installed both add-ons as per the instructions.

BUT - neither works. The Netflic add on just says "Netflix error - check the log for more information." Though the only thing I can find in the log is that Kodi was successfully updated.
The Prime add-on appears to work. I can look through the all the videos and search works fine. BUT - when I click on a video I get a quick egg timer before it goes away and nothing plays.

Why does nothing work? :cry:

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm

We just noticed that Netflix stopped working in the latest Milhouse build (0604) and are currently trying to find out why. Please use build 0603 for now until we fixed that.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:57 am

HiassofT wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 pm
We just noticed that Netflix stopped working in the latest Milhouse build (0604) and are currently trying to find out why. Please use build 0603 for now until we fixed that.

so long,

Hias
Thanks - I'll uninstall the add on and try the older version. Hopefully that'll work.

Any ideas what's up with Amazon Prime? I figure as the app was working fine, but the videos won't play, it has to be some Codec or retrieval browser I'm missing?

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:01 am

Just downgrade your installation to the 0603 build (copy the 0603 tar to the update share and reboot), this should be enough to get Netflix working again.

Not sure about the Amazon addon, I only have Netflix.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:10 pm

HiassofT wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:01 am
Just downgrade your installation to the 0603 build (copy the 0603 tar to the update share and reboot), this should be enough to get Netflix working again.

Not sure about the Amazon addon, I only have Netflix.

so long,

Hias
The version of Netflix available from the link to upgrade Kodi to 18 doesn't have that version code. The version shows 0.13.7 as the latest - I've stepped backwards through them and they all have the same problem. Where are you getting this TAR file from?

I thought the problem with the Amazon add on was the adaptive.steamer, but fixing the problem with that didn't change anything.

The only thing I seem to be closer to doing is giving up.

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm

0603 is the version of the Milhouse LibreELEC testbuilds which are available from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166

Are you using these testbuilds or did you install Kodi 18 from elsewhere?

If you are using this testbuilds all you need to do is install the Netflix repository and then install the Netflix addon from there.

Builds 0604 and later ones currently give an error when opening the Netflix addon, so it's best to use 0603 until that's resolved.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:47 am

HiassofT wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm
0603 is the version of the Milhouse LibreELEC testbuilds which are available from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166

Are you using these testbuilds or did you install Kodi 18 from elsewhere?

If you are using this testbuilds all you need to do is install the Netflix repository and then install the Netflix addon from there.

Builds 0604 and later ones currently give an error when opening the Netflix addon, so it's best to use 0603 until that's resolved.

so long,

Hias
OK, I know what you're talking about now. I was looking at the version numbers of the Netflix Add-On itself. You're talking about the LibreElec build numbers. That's fine. I'll backwards update that tonight.

Yes, I did use the test builds from that link, and installed both add ons from there. I did update to the 0605 version as it was supposed to fix the problems with the inputstream.adaptive, which is required for Amazon Prime to run. We'll try stepping back. I'll try the 0606 that's just been added, and if not step backwards until something works.

I'll join that forum also so I can keep up to date and talk directly with Milhouse if required.

I still can't figure out how to access the console from these builds. I'm used to using Debian, which just has a built in console and the last version I used let me exit to the console shell, which worked OK. This one doesn't have an exit option - just shut down or reboot.

Also, this may also seem like a stupid question (but remember I'm a beginner here), but several of these add-ons feature raw code that it tells you to install - I don't know what to do with this code. I'm experienced(ish) with programming (though it's been years since I studied it), so I can read and understand the coding fine. But I have no idea where to go to do anything with the coding.

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:19 am

LibreELEC doesn't have a text-mode console, if you want/need to change something you have to do it via ssh - see the wiki for info https://wiki.libreelec.tv/accessing_libreelec

But you can safely ignore the manual libwidevine installation instructions, this is no longer needed. Actually, following the steps might break Netflix/Amazon addons as they could install a now outdated libwidevine.

so long,

Hias

HiassofT
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:19 pm

FYI: Netflix addon 0.13.8 was just released, it looks like it fixes the issues in the latest Milhouse builds.

so long,

Hias

Revenant
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am
Location: United Kingdon

Re: Multi-OS Media Centre

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:33 pm

So I've installed the LibreELEC Millhouse build #0611. After some fiddling, I've managed to get YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime and PVR working.

Only snags are:
1) Netflix is very stuttery, even with an Ethernet cable. In fairness, it was an old ethernet cable that may not be workring properly.
2) YouTube insists I am too young to view the trailer for the new Assasin's Creed movie, even though I've turned the controls off in app. I'm guessing this must be an account setting.
3) Amazon Prime is running perfectly at 720p 3000000bps (haven't checked the framerate yet). But it's running so good, I'll try cranking the quality up and see what happens.
4) PVR is intermittent. I got it working once, then it stopped working. The TV guide listing also doesn't work yet. Might be my own fault.

I also ordered an external powered USB hub so I can plug in the HDD for more storage, so I can record PVR and go mad on downloading the emulators etc. Can also add charger for the remote and so on.

Return to “Media centres”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests