calebtemple

Plex unable to see folders on USB drive

Thu May 17, 2018 4:43 am

Hi,

First time post and serious RPi newb...

I have setup RPi3+ as a WAP which I'm able to connect to from other devices. I have Plex installed and running I can see my server on other devices.

My problem is that when I try and add a library I'm unable to see past /media/pi/MyPassport, and no contents are shown. I'm guessing it's a permission issue but unsure as what to do?

In FileManager I'm able to add/delete files to the USB drive with no issue, it only appears to be Plex?

In the file /etc/default/plexmediaserver.prev I've modified the running user as;
PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER=pi

The owner of the folder /media/pi/MyPassport and it's contents is pi?

I hope you someone can help.

Cheers

thagrol

Re: Plex unable to see folders on USB drive

Thu May 17, 2018 10:52 am

Could be a mount issue.

From your mount point (/media/pi/MyPassport) it looks like you're relying on the desktop automount tool to mount the drive. That only happens when a user is logged in to the gui. With no user logged in the mount won't happen. With a different user logged in the drive will mount in a different place.

Use /etc/fstab or systemd to mount the drive during boot instead.

If you go with fstab, include nofail in the mount options otherwise your pi will hang if you boot it without the drive connected.
Note to self: don't feed the trolls
If you believe "L'enfer, c'est les autres" (Hell is other people) have you considered that it may be of your own making?

Return to “Media centres”