Heisenberg1980

Kodi not starting - Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Wed May 09, 2018 8:45 pm

I installed Kodi long time ago in my Raspberry Pi 3 and it has been working without any issue for many months, but suddenly it has stopped working, and every time I try to run it using command "sudo kodi" it´s returning this error:

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20180509_212951.log

I assigned 256 Mb to GPU long time back (when it was working), and now I have tried increasing and decreasing it with the same result (actually I think after increasing the memory assigned to GPU the error takes longer to happen, around a minute instead of 30 seconds when gpu memory is 256 Mb). I have tried updating raspbian, reinstalling kodi, renaming folder ~/.kodi, removing the CEC peripherial from /usr/share/kodi/system/peripherals.xml, but nothing works and I am still getting the same error.

This is the full log from /root/kodi_crashlog-20180509_212951.log: https://pastebin.com/3EskvAL0
Last edited by Heisenberg1980 on Sat May 12, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rascas

Re: Kodi not starting - Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Wed May 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Please post your crash log into some site like pastebin:
Crash report available at /root/kodi_crashlog-20180509_212951.log
And it is not advisable to run Kodi as root, but that is not the cause of your problem, just an advice ;)

Heisenberg1980

Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 am

Sorry about that, I have upload the crash log to https://pastebin.com/3EskvAL0

Thanks for the advise, as soon as I get kodi working again I will try to run it not as root.

Heisenberg1980

Sat May 12, 2018 9:36 am

Just in case it helps I have executed kodi without root privileges and this is the error log: https://pastebin.com/3VsXrt8m

It shows errors "Joystick Translator: Can't find button button" and "Window Translator: Can't find window musicfiles" but I am not sure if these errors are due to the permissions (as they are not present in the log when I run kodi with root privileges)

Rascas

Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Do you have any joystick connected ? Can you try without it connected ? Also a debug log would be more usefull since there is nothing in the logs that could explain the crash:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advance ... ngs.xml.29

Rascas

Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 pm

It is possible that you got corrupted files in your installation. Can you please move/remove /home/pi/.kodi, reinstall kodi with:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall kodi
Whatch if you get any errors during reinstall. Then start Kodi with the user "Pi".

Heisenberg1980

Sat May 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Rascas wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:40 pm
It is possible that you got corrupted files in your installation. Can you please move/remove /home/pi/.kodi, reinstall kodi with:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall kodi
Whatch if you get any errors during reinstall. Then start Kodi with the user "Pi".

I have renamed .kodi folder and reinstalled kodi but it´s returning the same error, the only difference is this time the log doesn´t show any joystick error (before the log showed a joystick error when I executed kodi with pi user)

These are the steps I have followed to reinstall kodi, I don´t see any error during the installation:

[email protected]:~ $ mv .kodi .kodi_old
[email protected]:~ $ sudo apt-get install --reinstall kodi
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libc-ares2 libv8-3.14.5
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/23.5 MB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 114530 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../kodi_2%3a17.4-2~jessie_all.deb ...
Unpacking kodi (2:17.4-2~jessie) over (2:17.4-2~jessie) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.58) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1~bpo8+1) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
Setting up kodi (2:17.4-2~jessie) ...
Processing triggers for menu (2.1.47) ...
[email protected]:~ $ kodi
Crash report available at /home/pi/kodi_crashlog-20180512_171746.log

This is the log from /home/pi/kodi_crashlog-20180512_171746.log: https://pastebin.com/eZpa6d0D
Last edited by Heisenberg1980 on Sat May 12, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heisenberg1980

Sat May 12, 2018 5:13 pm

Rascas wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:34 pm
Do you have any joystick connected ? Can you try without it connected ? Also a debug log would be more usefull since there is nothing in the logs that could explain the crash:
https://kodi.wiki/view/Log_file/Advance ... ngs.xml.29

I have activated the debug in advancedsettings.xml and the new log contains more information, but I still don´t see any error. This is the log from /home/pi/kodi_crashlog-20180512_180741.log: https://pastebin.com/GS3qADJZ

I have also activated debug logging with all verbose components with same result, this is the log: https://pastebin.com/sYrzxUgE

Rascas

Sat May 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes, there isn't any error in your latest logs, that is really strange. Did you changed any hardware that you use with the Pi since the last time it worked ? Like power supply, microUSB cables, TV, etc ? Also did you installed/activated the open-source video/OpenGL drivers recently ? The only thing I can think off is some kind of library conflict in your system or filesystem corruption.

PS: Although there is any error about that, it seems to fail when starting python engine. Can you confirm if all is fine with your python libraries ?

Heisenberg1980

Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 pm

I have some things connected to the raspberry (as a microphone, a thermometer, or a hard disk) but to ensure nothing connected to it was causing the issue I rebooted the raspberry with just the hdmi and the power connected, and the same error happened, so I assume it must be a software problem.

About the python libraries, other python scripts are working without issues, but how can I check if python libraries are fine?

Rascas

Mon May 14, 2018 10:28 pm

That kind of hardware shouldn't interfere with Kodi, but the TV, specially it's CEC implementation can cause the crash. Can you try it with another TV ?
About python, Kodi depends on python2.7, many different packages, you have to check the depends section of "kodi" and "kodi-bin" packages. Can you please provide the output of the following, maybe we can figure it out by that:

gdb /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi_v7.bin

Heisenberg1980

Tue May 15, 2018 10:36 am

That command produces the same "Segmentation fault" error:

[email protected]:~ $ gdb /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/kodi/kodi_v7.bin
Segmentation fault
[email protected]:~ $

Rascas

Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Ok then, I am out of ideas, you most likely have to reinstall the OS.

Heisenberg1980

Tue May 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Thank you for your help anyway, it looks like a really stubborn problem, I will try to connect the raspberry to a different TV as you mentioned before to see if the miracle happens (so far I have tried to open kodi with the TV off, but the result is the same).

megashurik

Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm

I have the same problem after update && upgrade. No kodi, no Remmina, No VLC. It looks like something broken with the new GPU drivers or something else.
If I reinstall the image of OS back, everything is back to normal.
Double-checked this on two RPI 3.

Rascas

Sat May 26, 2018 11:44 pm

megashurik wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm
I have the same problem after update && upgrade. No kodi, no Remmina, No VLC. It looks like something broken with the new GPU drivers or something else.
If I reinstall the image of OS back, everything is back to normal.
Double-checked this on two RPI 3.
There is no problem with latest stretch version and updated gpu drivers/kernel firmware after upgrading, at least on Kodi and desktop applications. I have tested this on multiple Pis.
I think your problem is something like a not good power supply and/or sdcard. If you don't have a a good power supply and sdcard, it can cause problems on updates, like never ending updates and filesystem corruption, I have noticed that on some occasions with some sdcards/power supplies.

Return to “Media centres”