chmcke01

Lobby powerpoint?

Thu May 03, 2018 1:24 pm

I do general IT support for some offices in the area. One of them has a quite old media player thing on a TV in the lobby that endlessly loops a powerpoint that they update probably once a month. To update, they have to actually plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, then copy the new presentation over via USB drive.

They are looking at replacing this with something so they can just have a folder on the server where they keep the presentation and can just update it from there and the TV will just start playing the new presentation. My first thought was Raspberry Pi.

Is this possible and if so what would be the best way to set it up?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Lobby powerpoint?

Thu May 03, 2018 2:27 pm

chmcke01 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 1:24 pm
I do general IT support for some offices in the area. One of them has a quite old media player thing on a TV in the lobby that endlessly loops a powerpoint that they update probably once a month. To update, they have to actually plug in a USB keyboard and mouse, then copy the new presentation over via USB drive.

They are looking at replacing this with something so they can just have a folder on the server where they keep the presentation and can just update it from there and the TV will just start playing the new presentation. My first thought was Raspberry Pi.

Is this possible and if so what would be the best way to set it up?

Maybe ?? http://www.binaryemotions.com/digital-s ... l-signage/
Adieu

bfunke

Re: Lobby powerpoint?

Tue May 15, 2018 2:05 am

I used Raspian and Libreoffice. I then created. marquee presentation using PowerPoint on a Win10 machine and copied it to a thumb drive. I then plugged the thumb drive into my Pi and copied it to the desktop. A wireless keyboard/trackpad combo such as the $20 Logitech 400 makes it a snap to edit and modify. Libreoffice has a presentation app that is compatible with PowerPoint and can do nice transitions and loops.

Return to “Media centres”