danjswade

Ext Hard Drive Life Expectancy as Plex Media Server

Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Hi all

I have just bought myself a Pi and have it running as my Plex Media Server. From what I've read, leaving it running isn't a problem for the pi, but I was wondering how concerned I should be for my hard drive? As it's connected, will it be constantly be spinning and therefore wear out? How long should I expect the life of it to be? I've got it left in situ and not moving (if that makes a difference)

Thank you

drgeoff

Re: Ext Hard Drive Life Expectancy as Plex Media Server

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:04 am

There is a school of thought that a hard drive will last longer if left continuously spinning rather than being powered up and down or the platter(s) spun up and down.

RaTTuS

Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:26 am

what does the drive manufacturer say the MTBF is on the drive
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:59 am

danjswade wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 pm
Hi all

I have just bought myself a Pi and have it running as my Plex Media Server. From what I've read, leaving it running isn't a problem for the pi, but I was wondering how concerned I should be for my hard drive? As it's connected, will it be constantly be spinning and therefore wear out? How long should I expect the life of it to be? I've got it left in situ and not moving (if that makes a difference)

Thank you

You can use hdparm to set hard drive parameters and smartmontools to monitor life.

Though be aware that some USB to IDE/SATA Chipsets do not play nice with above tools YMMV !
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

Return to “Media centres”