juanml82
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:20 am

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:12 am

miguel said:


XBMC comes with a standard web-based remote, so you only really need to activate the option, set the password, and point to the XMBC SMB name or IP address and you should be good to go.

There are also different web-based addons available, some of them tailored for ip*d devices.

Or there are a number of apps that take advantage of the XBMC remote connection features, only wrap them in a different skin.

In either case, though, you'll most definitely find something that will suit you.


This seems to be what I'm interested in. If I'm reading it right, does it mean I could control a rpi running XBMC from any smartphone in the same LAN by just using the smartphone's browser? I'm thinking in using a rpi as a media server, attaching an spare dvd drive and a 500gb hard drive through a dual hdd dock. The ability to control it with a very easy to use interface through cell phones would definitely be both a cheap and very cool thing. The catch being that phones at home include Android and Bada smartphones as well as a wifi capable feature phone with only java support. Could I control it with any of those phones?

__Miguel_
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:42 am

juanml82 said:


This seems to be what I'm interested in. If I'm reading it right, does it mean I could control a rpi running XBMC from any smartphone in the same LAN by just using the smartphone's browser? I'm thinking in using a rpi as a media server, attaching an spare dvd drive and a 500gb hard drive through a dual hdd dock. The ability to control it with a very easy to use interface through cell phones would definitely be both a cheap and very cool thing. The catch being that phones at home include Android and Bada smartphones as well as a wifi capable feature phone with only java support. Could I control it with any of those phones?


Yes, you're understanding it correctly. You could also control it from anywhere in the world with well-configured port forwarding rules (though why anyone would need to remote control an HTPC playback is beyond me...).

I can tell you at least the Android browser is perfectly capable of rendering, navigating and controlling the stock XBMC webserver. Not sure about Bada phones, though, never tried one.

You can try XBMC on a computer you have in the house, it's easy to install and remove. It should be similar on both platforms.

One thing, though: I find the stock webserver both a bit "plain" and very taxing on both the HTPC and the client accessing it, because it loads and streams every single movie/music/show poster (it lags my i7 860, btw), so the remote apps should be best suited to your needs. There is an official Android XBMC remote app, and quite a few more non-official, that interface with the webserver port and send direct commands, bypassing rendering. Try a couple.

As for the Bada and Java phones, I really don't know. Try checking out if there is an app for them, if they can handle the standard server (probably not, it might be too taxing), or if there is a simpler server plug-in. I know there is one designed for iPhones that is über-simple, to be used with touch, though it's fixed-size (and the last time I tried it, it didn't work too well with Android).

Hope this helps.

Miguel

P.S.: Sorry to take so long to reply, you managed to post right before the static site was put in place because of the launch and I had to wait... lol

pezholio
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:31 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:00 pm

After doing a bit of research around this topic, I've noticed that XBMC has various plugins for on-demand services like BBC iPlayer. Am I right in thinking that these wont work on the Raspberry Pi due to Adobe's non-support of ARM processors for Flash, or is there a way round this? (most UK on demand services support i Devices in the browser, so I guess you can access non-flash streams somehow?)

una.szplodrmann
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:11 am

pezholio said:


After doing a bit of research around this topic, I've noticed that XBMC has various plugins for on-demand services like BBC iPlayer. Am I right in thinking that these wont work on the Raspberry Pi due to Adobe's non-support of ARM processors for Flash, or is there a way round this? (most UK on demand services support i Devices in the browser, so I guess you can access non-flash streams somehow?)



XBMC doesn't require flash for the iplayerv2 addon. librtmp/rtmpdump provides the magic that allows this.

spudy12
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:58 pm

I've been following the RPI for ages now and can't wait to get one!

I am really interested in trying XBMC on it as this could have so many uses!

What I would use it for is streaming media from my media server to the TV and connect the RPI to my reciever box with HDMI to let that do surround sound and upscaling of non hd material

The question I have though is will it be able to stream TV? for example in my media server I have a HD free sat tuner and a standard free view tuner.. would i be able to stream tv over the network to the RPI using a xbmc plugin? (Not necassarly HD)

Or would the cpu limit this? as im not sure the gpu would do it.. (even if the cpu was overclocked slightly like mentioned in other threads)

shivansps
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:38 am

there is a compiled arm binary for XBMC?

milhouse
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:05 pm

shivansps said:


there is a compiled arm binary for XBMC?



There will be, in fact there will be at least two XBMC builds for the R-Pi - one from OpenELEC, the other from RaspBMC.

User avatar
Montekuri
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm
Contact: Website

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Theshivansps said:


there is a compiled arm binary for XBMC?



There would be a build from Geexbox.

MrLobster
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Ok so I've read through this thread and just need to clear up the 5.1 bitstreaming issue.

Does raspberry pi allow passthrough of the audio stream, through the HDMI cable, to a external Audio Receiver which can decode the audio into DTS/HD-Audio etc?

Kernel
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:16 am

milhouse said:


shivansps said:


there is a compiled arm binary for XBMC?


There will be, in fact there will be at least two XBMC builds for the R-Pi - one from OpenELEC, the other from RaspBMC.



Do we have to install one of these or can XMBC be run if we install the fedora remix?

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10501
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
Contact: Twitter YouTube

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:00 am

MrLobster said:


Ok so I've read through this thread and just need to clear up the 5.1 bitstreaming issue.

Does raspberry pi allow passthrough of the audio stream, through the HDMI cable, to a external Audio Receiver which can decode the audio into DTS/HD-Audio etc?


well - that would be at the other end of the cable - so whaever you plug the RPi into ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

AlexPT
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 am

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:11 am

milhouse said:


shivansps said:


there is a compiled arm binary for XBMC?


There will be, in fact there will be at least two XBMC builds for the R-Pi - one from OpenELEC, the other from RaspBMC.


So its 3 then... Meego MER + XBMC

http://elinux.org/RPi_Distributions

MrLobster
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:41 pm

RaTTuS said:


MrLobster said:


Ok so I've read through this thread and just need to clear up the 5.1 bitstreaming issue.

Does raspberry pi allow passthrough of the audio stream, through the HDMI cable, to a external Audio Receiver which can decode the audio into DTS/HD-Audio etc?


well – that would be at the other end of the cable – so whaever you plug the RPi into ?


The audio receiver can decode all the audio streams such as DTS etc, but I want to know does the R-pi send the audio stream to the receiver, without touching it?

So its like this:-

Movie File

-> Rasp-pi

-> [Audio] Onkyo 508 Receiver

-> [Video] Decoded by R-Pi -> [HDMI] TV

psycop
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Hello all, I'd quite like an answer (even if it's "we don"t know yet") on the bitstreaming question too. I've had a good look around (Google and the forum) and I can't see a clear answer either way.

I've currently got two PC's with HDMI audio out on them, both support 2 channel PCM, but only one supports unmolested passthrough of surround sound formats, suitable for an external decoder. My point being, the presence of HDMI audio in general, does not imply that bitstreaming is supported.

It would be a real shame if it isn't possible, because I would (naively) presume that, not processing the encoded audio would require the least processing power of all. You would also hopefully not require any licences, as the board itself would not be interpreting the data, just passing it on.

Plus, it would kick loads of bum if this can be done.

__Miguel_
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:45 pm

psycop said:


Hello all, I'd quite like an answer (even if it's "we don"t know yet") on the bitstreaming question too. I've had a good look around (Google and the forum) and I can't see a clear answer either way.


OK, I might be able to help out a bit there.

The general consensus right now is bitstreaming *should* work even without royalties. One of the developers has addressed this subject a while back, I believe on this very thread.

However, I don't think that scenario has been thoroughly tested yet, mostly because most developers have yet to get their hands on a RasPi and the specific GPU on the Pi is still a bit of an uncharted territory.

In any case, you might want go over to the XBMC or OpenELEC forums (OpenELEC seems to already have a working distro, btw), since XBMC is being ported to run on the Pi, and thus they can probably answer that question directly.

Hope this helps.

Miguel

psycop
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:21 am

Thanks very much Miguel. I suppose we all have to wait and see what the lovely dev people can squeeze out of it. I did spot the comment, but I wasn't sure if this was "official" speculation, if you know what I mean.

To be honest, for the price size and power, stereo is already pretty damn good, and for a lot of people, that's going to be enough. For other, home theatrey types, having bistreaming too, would make this a no compromise solution. Fingers crossed.

__Miguel_
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:33 am

psycop said:


Thanks very much Miguel. I suppose we all have to wait and see what the lovely dev people can squeeze out of it. I did spot the comment, but I wasn't sure if this was "official" speculation, if you know what I mean.

To be honest, for the price size and power, stereo is already pretty damn good, and for a lot of people, that's going to be enough. For other, home theatrey types, having bistreaming too, would make this a no compromise solution. Fingers crossed.


You're welcome.

As I am one of those "other, home theatrey types", bitstreaming would be great, since right now I actually need my main gaming rig to act as an HTPC, which is a rather *loud* solution (I do have an Aspire Revo 3610, though that one lacks on the audio decoding capabilities too).

However, given the price/performance/power consumption ratio, that won't stop me from getting my hands on a few Pis (I mean, the number of applications is huge...), and I've already vowed I'd give one to my almost 6-year-old nephew, so he can learn from it.

I do hope a second, 2 million+ batch of Pis is already in the works, this thing is going to sell like popcorn at a movie theater... Fingers crossed, also

iamchrismoran
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:45 am

__Miguel_ said:


I do hope a second, 2 million+ batch of Pis is already in the works, this thing is going to sell like popcorn at a movie theater... Fingers crossed, also



Yes, because this is cheaper than popcorn at a theater.

andytuk
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:06 am

I do hope they release a copy of the OpenELEC build soon. Would love to take a copy to the [email protected] event next weekend. (Also want a copy of RISC OS)

psycop
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:27 am

__Miguel_ said:


However, given the price/performance/power consumption ratio, that won't stop me from getting my hands on a few Pis (I mean, the number of applications is huge...), and I've already vowed I'd give one to my almost 6-year-old nephew, so he can learn from it.


Yep. Even if it doesn't end up in the front room, it'll end up in the cupboard as a NAS box, or driving a robot around etc. Maybe both at once? NASBot literally brings your media into every room in the house!

welshblob
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:31 am

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:31 pm

andytuk said:


I do hope they release a copy of the OpenELEC build soon. Would love to take a copy to the [email protected] event next weekend. (Also want a copy of RISC OS)



You could have a go at compiling xbmc yourself. Davilla posted the link to the source code over on the xbmc forums -> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc-rbp

You might want to ask Sam as it sounds he is almost ready with his nightly builds for raspbmc -> http://twitter.com/#!/samnazarko

andytuk
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:42 pm

welshblob said:


andytuk said:


You might want to ask Sam as it sounds he is almost ready with his nightly builds for raspbmc -> http://twitter.com/#!/samnazarko



Thanks - I have tweeted him.

welshblob
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:31 am

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:21 pm

andytuk said:


welshblob said:


andytuk said:


You might want to ask Sam as it sounds he is almost ready with his nightly builds for raspbmc -> http://twitter.com/#!/samnazarko



Thanks - I have tweeted him.


Sounds like you should have a Pi with xbmc on it soon ...... please can we have some vids of it running .

andytuk
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 am
Location: Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah, will do a video.

Have taken some video of the Pi already. Just need to edit and upload to YouTube. Keep and eye on http://www.youtube.com/user/andyt31uk and http://www.retrocomputers.eu

Kernel
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:44 pm

andytuk said:


Yeah, will do a video.

Have taken some video of the Pi already. Just need to edit and upload to YouTube. Keep and eye on http://www.youtube.com/user/andyt31uk and http://www.retrocomputers.eu



Have subscribed to your channel

Your 2nd link seems to have an extra space at the end so leads to: http://www.retrocomputers.eu%20

This link should work ok: http://www.retrocomputers.eu/

Return to “Media centres”