deaf cat

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:32 pm

Only came across XBMC about 2 months ago and now this wonderful little RPi appears - Cool Stuff!!

Not knowing much about computers, with the Pi using ARM (guessing it's not Windows or Mac), is a usb sound card with windows/mac drivers going to have trouble working?

Cheers for any thoughts,

DC

liamfraser280

Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Hi Deafcat. Take a look around in the FAQ and so on

The Rasbperry Pi will run Linux. So you need to check if your sound card is supported under Linux. Google should help you.

I can tell you now that windows or mac drivers wont work on it though.

nichobb

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:12 pm

Thanks frying_fish. I knew sab was python (didn"t know sickbeard was - only just discovered delights last week, don"t know why left it so long before installing). Until you put it so obviously I still had it in my head that it would be a difficult task because of the processor to recompile (think I"ll be adjusting head when start using).

Personally I don"t think I"ll be impacted by downlod speeds as I max out at 187 kbps on my free bt usenet account, (hence interest in low powered always on device). Memory wise sickbeard and sab consume about 33,000 kb each on my Windows device (I know oranges and raspberries but no better fruit to compare with) so will be fine till I open opera at 168,000 kb

The unpacking could be painful. The viewing of mkv, I fully expect to be diabolical even though other formats will be displayed with grace and ease (why I was thinking of handbrake), if I"m wrong it"ll be a nice surprise but will leave me working out conversions for tablet.

deaf cat

Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:37 pm

Liam Fraser said:

Hi Deafcat. Take a look around in the FAQ and so on

The Rasbperry Pi will run Linux. So you need to check if your sound card is supported under Linux. Google should help you.

I can tell you now that windows or mac drivers wont work on it though.

Cheers Liam, had a little look around and it seems part of my cards functions are seen by ALSA (not sure what that is) which is good I think,  but the PMC bit of the card is not seen, the bit I was thinking of using.  So maybe I will look into it a bit more and see if it is possible for me to use the bits that ALSA can see.. 

Goggles2114

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 am

Out of curiosity, and the fact I only have a standard def CRT-TV to plug this thing into. How will the menu and such handle under lower resolution?

...And did anyone answer whether the differing plugins would potentially work or be an absolute no?

liamfraser280

Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:26 am

deaf cat said:

Cheers Liam, had a little look around and it seems part of my cards functions are seen by ALSA (not sure what that is) which is good I think,  but the PMC bit of the card is not seen, the bit I was thinking of using.  So maybe I will look into it a bit more and see if it is possible for me to use the bits that ALSA can see.. 

Hi Deaf cat. If you are really lucky it might just work when you plug it in ALSA is advanced linux sound architecture and it is one of the sound frameworks that Linux uses. What is PMC?

frying_fish

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:43 am

nichobb said:

Thanks frying_fish. I knew sab was python (didn"t know sickbeard was - only just discovered delights last week, don"t know why left it so long before installing). Until you put it so obviously I still had it in my head that it would be a difficult task because of the processor to recompile (think I"ll be adjusting head when start using).

Personally I don"t think I"ll be impacted by downlod speeds as I max out at 187 kbps on my free bt usenet account, (hence interest in low powered always on device). Memory wise sickbeard and sab consume about 33,000 kb each on my Windows device (I know oranges and raspberries but no better fruit to compare with) so will be fine till I open opera at 168,000 kb

The unpacking could be painful. The viewing of mkv, I fully expect to be diabolical even though other formats will be displayed with grace and ease (why I was thinking of handbrake), if I"m wrong it"ll be a nice surprise but will leave me working out conversions for tablet.

Actually, the unpacking would be worse than the mkv playback, depending on what encoding the file is. If the file inside the mkv container is h.264 then it should be fine as that can be decoded in the GPU (from what I've read anyway).  It is the unpacking using up all the RAM and lots of writes to the SD card I would be concerned with (unless of course you hooked up a USB HDD and had that as the processing directory). Thankfully the use of python would be handy, but would have to remember to use python 2 not python 3 I think.

deaf cat

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:01 am

Liam Fraser said: Hi Deaf cat. If you are really lucky it might just work when you plug it in ALSA is advanced linux sound architecture and it is one of the sound frameworks that Linux uses. What is PMC?

Hiya Liam, Cheers, That would be lucky!   me and computers are not lucky

Will keep fingers crossed though

The usb card can pass though a digital sound signal S/PDIF.

S/PDIF can either carry 2 channels of not compressed sound (PMC)

Or, such things as Dolby Digital and DTS that are compressed enabling 5 or so channels to fit on the S/PDIF thing.

Hope that makes sence.

__Miguel_

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:11 am

Hmm, not to nitpick, but 2-channel uncompressed sound is usually labeled as PCM, not PMC

Miguel

deaf cat

Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:34 am

Yep, nit pick away your totally right, sorry, my mistake.

wildclover

Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:22 pm

deaf cat said:

Hiya Liam, Cheers, That would be lucky!   me and computers are not lucky
Will keep fingers crossed though

The usb card can pass though a digital sound signal S/PDIF.

S/PDIF can either carry 2 channels of not compressed sound (PMC)

Or, such things as Dolby Digital and DTS that are compressed enabling 5 or so channels to fit on the S/PDIF thing.

Hope that makes sence.

I use a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II card which is just a USB -> TOSlink lead. It works natively in Ubuntu and outputs stereo and 5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital and AAC (after a bit of configuring). I'm using kernel 3.x, which has now been compiled for the R-Pi, so I'm presuming that the lead will work just as well in Debian when the Pi is released. Unfortunately my TV downmixes everything from HDMI to stereo when it passes out of the optical connector on the TV, so I had to get a separate lead to watch my collection in 5.1!

spudy12

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Now this is amazing! I am going to be buying 3 or 4 of these baby's!

Well done to the XBMC Team and Raspberry PI

__Miguel_

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 pm

For you guys on the inside, how likely do you think it would be for an R-Pi-friendly release of XBMC to be available at launch date? It seems to be working right now...

Also, @spudy12, please don't hog all of them. The first production batch will be a 10000-unit run, AFAIK, which will probably be gone quite fast if everyone buys like 10 of them at a time. Which will not be that bad, since it shows how good the R-Pi is, and they'll make enough money to get another batch going, but these things have a 3-week lead time from the manufacturer, don't make the rest of us wait that long, OK?

Miguel

spudy12

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:51 pm

@Miguel Don't worry  I will be good and hopefully (if i can!) only get one of this batch!

Really excited for the release of this, have been following it since the start!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:51 pm

__Miguel_ said:

For you guys on the inside, how likely do you think it would be for an R-Pi-friendly release of XBMC to be available at launch date? It seems to be working right now...

We hope one will be available at launch - Eben seems pretty certain we'll have one, but as with everything, I have to be careful not to make any assurances in case something crops up!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

__Miguel_

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Good news then, apparently.

*Goes back to patiently waiting for the magical update on the first page, informing the Pi is finally available for purchase. On that note, and totally OT, I do hope bank transfer is available as payment method, since I don't have a credit card...*

Miguel

deaf cat

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:51 pm

wildclover said: I use a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II card which is just a USB -> TOSlink lead. It works natively in Ubuntu and outputs stereo and 5.1 DTS, Dolby Digital and AAC (after a bit of configuring). I'm using kernel 3.x, which has now been compiled for the R-Pi, so I'm presuming that the lead will work just as well in Debian when the Pi is released. Unfortunately my TV downmixes everything from HDMI to stereo when it passes out of the optical connector on the TV, so I had to get a separate lead to watch my collection in 5.1!

Good To Know! Cheers

kitchen

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi,

I am new to raspberry Pi.  I have a boxee media player.  I am not familiar with XBMC.  I have read though all the post and am impressed with this.

I have a question,  is there a remote to control to control the xbmc once installed?

Thanks

milhouse

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:19 pm

kitchen said:

Hi,

I am new to raspberry Pi.  I have a boxee media player.  I am not familiar with XBMC.  I have read though all the post and am impressed with this.

I have a question,  is there a remote to control to control the xbmc once installed?

Thanks

No, that will be extra - you'll need an IR USB receiver and Media Center remote control, about £13 from eBay or - for zero cost - you might be able to control XBMC with your TV remote control using the HDMI CEC protocol if this gets implemented and supports your TV etc.

S0litaire

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:20 pm

I use my Android Mobile to control my XBMC install.

But you should be able to connect an IR receiver to the board and use a compatible Remote control it.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php.....ol_reviews
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

migwell2

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 pm

kitchen said:

Hi,

Thanks

Hi, maybe the best solution is the pulse eight adapter that allow use your tv remote to control XBMC with HDMI CEC protocol.

milhouse

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 pm

migwell2 said:

Hi, maybe the best solution is the pulse eight adapter that allow use your tv remote to control XBMC with HDMI CEC protocol.

Not necessary to purchase the Pulse Eight, at least not for XBMC on the Pi as the Pi includes the HDMI CEC support that is missing from most x86 GPUs (hence the existence of the Pulse Eight).

deaf cat

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:40 pm

xbmc constallation ipod app would that work too as a remote ?

__Miguel_

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:00 pm

XBMC comes with a standard web-based remote, so you only really need to activate the option, set the password, and point to the XMBC SMB name or IP address and you should be good to go.

There are also different web-based addons available, some of them tailored for ip*d devices.

Or there are a number of apps that take advantage of the XBMC remote connection features, only wrap them in a different skin.

In either case, though, you'll most definitely find something that will suit you.

Miguel

drgeoff

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:20 pm

milhouse said:

- you might be able to control XBMC with your TV remote control using the HDMI CEC protocol if this gets implemented and supports your TV etc.

That last bit is the wrong way round.  Implementation of CEC in a product is optional.  The TV manufacturer can leave it out.

Return to “Media centres”