mobeyduck

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:51 pm

I must disagre on 5.1 we ditched it because 2.1 gives better sounds.

And there are 5.1 and even 7.1 usb soundcards that can do the job, granted it aint hdmi

__Miguel_

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:15 pm

OK, I'm subscribing to this thread. XBMC is my favorite media player software, and having it run on a Pi would be SWEET!

That being said, isn't the Pi similar to the AppleTV1? If I remember correctly, it was ARM-based, right? If so, porting should not be too daunting, right?

Also, can anyone chime in on audio support on the SoC side? I'm assuming 5.1, no fancy stuff (DTS, bitstreaming, etc.), something on par with the 1st-gen Ion chipset, which is not that bad, but please remind me, if possible.

Cheers.

Miguel

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:38 pm

Kick said:

I agree with Zag; what is the use of 1080p without 5.1 audio...

Well, 1080p is a video format, and 5.1 is an audio format! You don't to have both! I don't have a 5.1 decoder at home....but I do have a 1080p TV.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

amaio

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:32 pm

The truth is that, if RaspberryPI works without a problem and if someone can make XBMC work with it, this would be one of the best things of the year. =D

For a long time I'm thinking of making somekind of media center to use the full potential of the TV. A small, cheap and low-power computer like the Pi is the best solution.

I'm really eager to get one of this amazing "fruit".

bbaasje

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Sweet!!!

This in a nice case, a bit of programming and stuff on it.

naguz

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:23 pm

alexhawdon said:

(Also, on a quieter note, if you're using a homebrew style media centre then where is the media coming from?  You're either ripping your own - in which case you might as well just stick in in a DVD player - or, uhm, getting it from somewhere that probably isn't packaging it in a 5.1 format...)

So what you are saying is essentially that since you can just put your own BRDs and DVDs in a player, noone has a use for a htpc or media player and this thread is pointless

As for the getting it from somewhere, I can hardly remember the last time I got a movie from "somewhere" where it didn't at leat have DTS, and often DTS-HDMA as an option. I think i must have been when the hole movie took no more than 700MB, and then it certainly wasn't 1080p material

mobeyduck: 

You need to stop taking hallucinogens when watching movies.

Lakes

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Add a USB TV tuner for a PVR?

__Miguel_

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Lakes said:

That might be pushing it a wee bit, unless the USB TV tuner handles compression by itself, especially if you're thinking about recording capabilities.

Not so much because of CPU speed (though that might be a problem, unless you can get the compression being handled by the SoC's encoding engine), but because you'd need to handle a truckload of traffic on the USB bus, which usually has quite a bit of CPU overhead (especially when traffic goes both ways, which would be the case if you were to record to an HDD or a network share).

However, it does sound quite interesting, if possible.

Cheers.

Miguel

iamchrismoran

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:01 pm

I have a Boxee Box. It's pretty nice, but with it's lack of even a remotely decent music handling option, it makes me go back to my original XBOX XBMC unit. As has been said, being able to have XBMC ported to this will be a massive big deal. I realize it's not the point of the project, but as with all other low cost PCs that have been put out there, most of the hardcore attention comes from the alternative use people. I'm excited for this - very excited.

The only thing that would excite me more would be the ability to play Lord of the Rings Online with it... but one cannot be too picky!

As for a case, I can't imagine it being to tricky for any crafty person to come up with a DIY option. It screams mint-tin conversion quite loudly.

liamfraser280

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:10 pm

This is fantastic. I was looking on the XBMC wiki and the reason the cpu is maxed out constantly is that it was originally designed for the XBOX. So the theme engine is executed in a game loop. This means that the GUI is constantly updated even if nothing is changing.

...Just in case anyone was interested

IanCal

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Not the case any more Liam, since the latest beta release of Ede. It"s got dirty rendering so it should only redraw sections of the screen that need it, rather than redrawing the whole scene 60 times a second. Runs a lot smoother on my atom, and should allow it to run well on the rpi

Jessie

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm

zag said:

Hopefully the raspberry is not limited though by its audio options. A lot of people rely on 5.1 these days. There will be a section of users who want this so its good to see it coming up so quickly.

I don't know what kind of set-up most people have but my current HTPC I tell it to send out the audio to be decoded by my Denon reciever.  My TV also supports audio decode but it dosn't support Dolby.  While the reciever supports just about everything.  I only imagine that 5.1 may be an issue for people with older equipment that will require the R-Pi to do the audio processing.

The Cageybee

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:48 pm

Lakes said:

Yes this definitely technically possible. As in most countries the transition has or is being made to digital TV, you don't need to capture and encode the stream as it's already in a digital format. In the UK SD TV is broadcast in MPEG2 with MP3 sound and HD in H264 and, I believe, AAC sound.

So it takes very little CPU to record programs and, thanks to the Rpis hardware video acceleration, viewing programs should be no problem.

In fact I've been doing it this way since 2004 on a woefully underpowered mini-itx. 1Ghz CPU (probably equivalent to a P3 700Mhz) with next to no hardware acceleration. Works fine.

As for doing it within XBMC, it's not really natively supported but can be done. Hopefully, this will change over the next couple of years as people have been complaining about the situation for a long time.

@IanCal: I think the term you are looking for is 'dirty regions' as opposed to 'dirty rendering'.

tonycollinet

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 pm

alexhawdon said:

(Also, on a quieter note, if you're using a homebrew style media centre then where is the media coming from?  You're either ripping your own - in which case you might as well just stick in in a DVD player - or, uhm, getting it from somewhere that probably isn't packaging it in a 5.1 format...)

Or perhaps you are recording using a PVR - which also serves the recordings from a DLNA Server to a media player in the bedroom.

Like what I am with a much more expensive box.

naguz

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:28 pm

Jessie said:

zag said:

Hopefully the raspberry is not limited though by its audio options. A lot of people rely on 5.1 these days. There will be a section of users who want this so its good to see it coming up so quickly.

I don't know what kind of set-up most people have but my current HTPC I tell it to send out the audio to be decoded by my Denon reciever.  My TV also supports audio decode but it dosn't support Dolby.  While the reciever supports just about everything.  I only imagine that 5.1 may be an issue for people with older equipment that will require the R-Pi to do the audio processing.

I think the question was if it would actually support bitstreaming.

justin12234

Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:43 pm

anyone know if this would be able to support addons like hulu, netflix, amazon vod, crackle, etc.?

milhouse

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:20 pm

alexhawdon said:

Part of the reason for using a media centre is convenience... I dare say many people will these days be ripping DVDs/Blu-Rays to network storage.

__Miguel_ said:

Also, can anyone chime in on audio support on the SoC side? I'm assuming 5.1, no fancy stuff (DTS, bitstreaming, etc.), something on par with the 1st-gen Ion chipset, which is not that bad, but please remind me, if possible.
The way I look at the R-Pi Model B is that it is a Nokia N8 on steroids. The R-Pi/B has a slightly more powerful CPU and a much more powerful GPU[1] than that present in the N8[2].

The Nokia N8 can "only" manage 720p and Dolby Digital Plus (in theory 7.1 but in practice likely to be 5.1) audio, whereas the more powerful R-Pi GPU is capable of 1080p30 so I don't see why the R-Pi can't also handle at least 5.1 digital audio.

1. http://www.broadcom.com/products/BCM2835

2. http://www.broadcom.com/produc.....rs/BCM2727

__Miguel_

Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Good to know, that means at least 5.1 and 1080p, so roughly ION-class, as I was assuming, except on about 1/40th of the power consumption (nice one, the original Ion platform just turned 3, which means even with a 2.5'' HDD in the mix, you'll have at least cut the required power for an entry-level HTPC by a factor of 20 in three years... yikes!).

Give it a case and make XBMC use it to its full extent and it will basically be a Roku (minus the remote, obviously) free from proprietary firmware, and probably cheaper to boot. SWEET!

Also, it just came to me, since the R-Pi shares so much with the Roku, does that mean you could actually hack a R-Pi-friendly OS to the Roku?

Miguel

debazthed

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about using a R-Pi as a media server for some time, but for some reason only though about music.

Today I found this topic and must say, I can't wait to get one and use it as a media center

Thanks for this wonderful idea!!

jamesh

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:21 pm

Please remember that even if the SoC can support a particular format, licencing costs may mean that it won't be provided. You would be stunned how much Dolby et al charge to use their, really quite primitive, formats. For example, AAC, a fairly simple audio format, costs MORE to licence than H264, a very sophisticated video format.

I'll try and find out more about what will and won't be supported.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

__Miguel_

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Interesting point, JamesH.

One thing, though: do you need to license the codecs if you bitstream the output? I mean, if my receiver is capable of decoding just about any format you can throw at it, would the R-Pi need to be licensed? I think that is currently what my setup does (Radeon 4870), audio and video go through HDMI and the receiver handles the decoding part.

However, in the event licencing is indeed needed, do you think Dolby and the other players would license the R-Pi for free, since it's for charity and all?

Miguel

jamesh

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Not quite sure what you are getting at. Something needs to decode the input stream, as HDMI is uncompressed. If you plug a Raspi in to a TV using HDMI, then the Raspi must do the decode, so that's where the licence is needed. If using the Raspi simply as a means of getting data off a source and sending to somewhere else via ethernet, still encoded, then the destination has to have the decoder, and the licence.

virtualuk

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:34 pm

Don't you have your decode and encode the wrong way around?  If the RPi is pushing bits via HDMI to the TV via HDMI, then it's the RPi that's encoding it into whatever bitstream format HDMI uses, which is presumably covered in terms of license fees paid to Broadcom whom I would presume then passes on a part of the cost to cover the license fee?

edit:

If we're talking about codecs for decoding content before pushing it out of the RPi, sure, you may have to technically pay to license it, you may not depends on the format.

__Miguel_

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm a bit in over my head here, probably...

As far as audio goes, I always thought if you didn't have a particular license, audio would downgrade to 2.0, which is enough to connect the R-Pi to a TV, right? And, if you just pass the unmodified audio to the receiver to decode, you shouldn't need one... You would need a license to output 5.1/7.1 DTS/AC3/whatever audio to an analog output directly connected to the R-Pi. Or am I missing something?

In terms of video codecs, aren't those covered by the SoC and/or software costs?

Maybe it's better to wait for JamesH's input on what will/won't play with the R-Pi, my head actually hurts from thinking about this subject... (Way too complicated for my tastes).

Miguel

Return to “Media centres”