macemoneta

Re: XBMC running on Raspberry Pi

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:44 pm

I found  this video this morning:

Video showing XBMC running on Raspberry Pi Alpha board.
This is not done by me. Original video found on XBMC forum athttp://forum.xbmc.org/showthre.....038;page=4

abishur

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:04 pm

According to the forum there, the board's CPU is maxed out on the title screen, but drops significantly on video playback at full 1080p resolution!  I wonder if the xbmc will be able to run add-ons (console emulators ) or if the additional CPU usage would make the whole thing stutter?  Must... stay... patient!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

macemoneta

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm

The title screen is in software while video playback should be using the GPU, so the results seem to make sense.  The interface was responsive in the video, so while the CPU is maxed out, it doesn't appear to be a problem.

aceface57

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:36 pm

This does look very exciting, it's one of the plans I have for the R pi. Can't wait, been a fan on xbmc since the original xbox.

Once we get more details though it will be better, like what bit rates it can handle etc.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:43 pm

aceface57 said:

This does look very exciting, it's one of the plans I have for the R pi. Can't wait, been a fan on xbmc since the original xbox.

Once we get more details though it will be better, like what bit rates it can handle etc.

The GPU performance is discussed at length elsewhere, but it's basically 1080p30, high profile, >40Mb/s.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

aceface57

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Excellent, I'm really excited at the thought of a few of these now

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:33 pm

XBMC have asked us not to say anything about it. It's killing me.

(Edit for typo)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

tonycollinet

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Have to agree - xbmc if it works is a  potential killer app for the Pi. Low power (therefore suitable for always on) dedicated media centre PC, so small you can just blutak it to the back of the TV.

What's not to love?

erest

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Liz, your being killed for not being able to say anything is killing me! If Xbmc truly gets running decently im buying 20!

simonIOW

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:39 pm

First aiders on standby, lots of hyperventilating...

arm2

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I'm expecting to offer commercially a case suitable for mounting anj RPi on the back of most TV's. All I need  now are the official dimensions and a RaspberryPI… even a non working one, please pretty please.

liz

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:47 pm

No can do, I'm afraid - the measurements of ports may change according to what our manufacturers do, so we can't release final measurements until we have final boards. (And we'll be making and selling cases too.)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

lotus49

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:24 pm

How intriguing.

I was just looking at an app for my Android tablet that can act as a remote for XBMC and it set me wondering as to whether XBMC would run on the R Pi.  I did a quick search and lo and behold, what do I find but this video.

Liz's teasingly worded post only intrigues me further.

How practical this will be, only time will tell, but I can't wait to find out.

andyhorn

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 pm

@Liz

Any idea how much the cases are likely cost?, ball park figure.

Cheers

Andy
[

JustThisGuy

Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:34 pm

In my best James Earl Jones voice:

"Impressive!"

I'm sitting here waiting patiently for Santa to bring my present, hoping the milk and cookies don't go off. (Is that the proper britishism for spoilage?)
Any conversation about a sufficiently complex subject is indistinguishable from babble.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 pm

That's good to see.  I am sure people will be making use of this.  I'll probably keep a spare SD card with it on.

guyh

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 pm

the issue I have here (as will many others I expect) is the idea of having this thing on 24/7 with its cpu maxed out.

as a NAS & torrent downloader it will need to be on constantly, but if it's to double up as a media server, won't this put too much stress on the cpu? is my vision of the £35 solution to my network and media needs too optimistic?

(I am relatively new to this stuff so go easy on me)

jamesh

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:25 pm

guyh said:

the issue I have here (as will many others I expect) is the idea of having this thing on 24/7 with its cpu maxed out.

as a NAS & torrent downloader it will need to be on constantly, but if it's to double up as a media server, won't this put too much stress on the cpu? is my vision of the £35 solution to my network and media needs too optimistic?

(I am relatively new to this stuff so go easy on me)

It will still be very low power even maxed out. Although torrenting won't use much CPU anyway, probably be bandwidth limited. You can run these things maxed out for days on end no problem.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

guyh

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 pm

JamesH said:

It will still be very low power even maxed out. Although torrenting won't use much CPU anyway, probably be bandwidth limited. You can run these things maxed out for days on end no problem.

Thanks for that, sounds good I suppose low power means low heat even maxed out. I still hope the xbmc people put in some kind of sleep/non-display mode that allows the cpu a bit of down time. although I bet someone could program something like that considering the linux based OS (geexbox?)

hajj_3

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:33 pm

nice, wonder if XBMC guys have managed to get it to bitstream hd audio via HDMI, that would be amazing if that's technically possible.

zag

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:46 pm

Yeh they've been working on it, a lot of the arm work had already been done

XBMC is pretty efficient with its cpu usage normally but there is room for improvement. It does depend a lot on the theme though. There used to be simplified versions of Aeon for the xbox due to its speed so its certainly possible to create Raspberry specific Themes.

Great to hear that 1080p will work though, after all that's what its all about!

Hopefully the raspberry is not limited though by its audio options. A lot of people rely on 5.1 these days. There will be a section of users who want this so its good to see it coming up so quickly.
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

Robert_M

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:44 am

:::watches topic:::
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Kick

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I agree with Zag; what is the use of 1080p without 5.1 audio...

alexhawdon

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:02 pm

I would disagree - not everybody has a 5.1 setup; most people don't.  I would say a < £50 media centre add-on (I'm including the price of a 1/2TB HD here!) would be very attractive to a lot of people, even without 5.1

My gf has a TV with HDMI in but no 5.1 setup - I'm seriously considering making her a cheapy media centre if this all proves do-able.

(Also, on a quieter note, if you're using a homebrew style media centre then where is the media coming from?  You're either ripping your own - in which case you might as well just stick in in a DVD player - or, uhm, getting it from somewhere that probably isn't packaging it in a 5.1 format...)

mard0

Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:08 pm

I read some were that there are some people looking at porting XBMC to directfb. Imagine that...... Raspberry-pi + directfb + XBMC ^^

Return to “Media centres”