chech

USB video playback on my TV

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi all,

I have a 4k video that I wanted to play, and while I realise RPi can't play 4k, I know that my TV does. So i plugged in USB drive into TV, and now I'm trying to figure out a way for my raspberry to tell TV to play video from USB input. I tried to use CEC for that but I couldn't find any useful commands, and simulating sequence of remote control button presses seems just too unpractical.

It's important that raspberry pi is capable to launch that command, since I need to be able to synchronise playback with GPIO output.

My TV is Sony Bravia smart TV, which has system based on Android. So is there possibly any way to tell the TV to launch it's media player and straight into the video I'm interested in?

Thanks.

johndavies

Re: USB video playback on my TV

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Are you sure that your TV cannot do this by itself using its menu system? I f the TV is fairly new there should be an option accessed through its input menu.

DarrenHill

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:04 pm

The Pi won't be able to, as the TV almost certainly won't share the USB port to anything else connected to the TV (or indeed anything else at all).

As noted above, most modern TVs with USB ports have video playback software (of varying quality) built in which can do the job directly. However there can be limitations on the disk formats that the TV can read, so you may need to ensure that your disk is formatted to a suitable way that the TV can handle (FAT32, NTFS etc). Similarly the file formats supported (MP4, MKV etc) can also be limited on some makes and models.

PiGraham

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 pm

Does your TV work as a DLNA / uPnP renderer? If so you should be able to tell it play files it.
I don't know exactly how to get Pi to run as a client. BubbleuPnP on Android is an example of a client that can control a remote renderer to play media.

PiGraham

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:36 pm

I just tried Bubble with my Toshiba TV. That appears as a renderer but not as a server. I can't get it to play media on the USB storage attached to the TV, but I can make it play media on my phone, or my PC, through the TV. If that was a 4K format supported by the TV it should play on the TV. The same should be true for the Pi. You may have to setup the Pi as DLNA server and you should be able to play that media on your TV either through the TV controls or through any DLNA client controller, including the Pi.

I found this QT upnp controller app, but it looks like audio only.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=172276
Last edited by PiGraham on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chech

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:06 pm

johndavies wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 pm
Are you sure that your TV cannot do this by itself using its menu system? I f the TV is fairly new there should be an option accessed through its input menu.
I can run it in TV's native video player (since it's Android based it has an app for it, instead of selecting from a source menu), but what I'm trying to figure out is how to use raspberry pi to tell the TV to use this player.
DarrenHill wrote: The Pi won't be able to, as the TV almost certainly won't share the USB port to anything else connected to the TV (or indeed anything else at all).

As noted above, most modern TVs with USB ports have video playback software (of varying quality) built in which can do the job directly. However there can be limitations on the disk formats that the TV can read, so you may need to ensure that your disk is formatted to a suitable way that the TV can handle (FAT32, NTFS etc). Similarly the file formats supported (MP4, MKV etc) can also be limited on some makes and models.
I don't want to share USB with raspberry pi, since it can't handle the video. As stated above, I want control this playback software with raspberry pi. I checked and TV can play the video, I just need to automate the process of loading it.
PiGraham wrote: I just tried Bubble with my Toshiba TV. That appears a renderer but not as a server. I can't get it to play media on the USB storage attached to the TV, but I can make it play media on my phone, or my PC, through the TV. If that was a 4K format supported by the TV it should play on the TV. The same should be true for the Pi. You may have to setup the Pi as DLNA server and you should be able to play that media on your TV either through the TV controls or through any DLNA client controller, including the Pi.

I found this QT upnp controller app, but it looks like audio only.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=172276
I wouldn't even need USB connected to the TV in this case, as long as I'm using TV to render the video, then that should do the trick. I will check it out, and see what I can do with this.

If I manage to make this work, I will leave the solution here. And thanks everyone for your replies.

Return to “Media centres”