oguruma

Reliable media player?

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:44 pm

I would like to build a media player to my kids' Sunday school. The primary use will be for ripped DVDs.

The catch is that it needs to be reliable and nearly bug-free. Nobody tech-literate will be around to fix problems.

So, essentially I want a set-it-and-forget-it media player. I would like to store the media either on a USB thumb drive or a USB hard drive.

So, is the Pi ready for prime time as a media player or is it destined to be a project that sometimes plays media?

DougieLawson

Re: Reliable media player?

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Kodi (libreELEC or OSMC) with your media on a hard disk is reliable.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Smartybones

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:09 pm

I find open ELEC to be the most stable.

oldcrock77

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:50 am

I built a media player for my CD's, mp3 files etc using OSMC and a RPi 2 board. I am a comparative newcomer to Rpi but I found it very easy to do.
I have found OSMC to be very reliable and the community forums and backup are good too.
I modified an aluminium box (eBay) with the RPi2, HiFiBerry Digi+ and a 500GB SD hard drive inside the box and a usb outlet for flash or external hard drives. I also added a shutdown switch from Mausberry circuits so you can just flick a switch to turn it all on and off. It's all played back via my stereo system.

connectable

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi - a media player on the Pi?
I have 92Gb of mp3 (laboriously copied from my large CD collection) on a USB hard disk connected to a pi 2 running Apache.
Apache hosts a set of php and HTML files, together with the mp3 archive.

One or more pi Zero Ws run a python socket server, which accepts commands from a small web page on either a desktop or a smartphone.
The backend player on this is mplayer, which accepts fully-formed http URLs for each track. The audio output can be connected either via a USB codec, for direct connection to an audio amplifier, or alternatively connected to a Chinese FM transmitter module, which has a USB codec built in, and the broadcast from this can be played on any FM radio or FM Tuner + Amplifier.

The web page is served up by Apache to either a desktop or phone. This web page with jquery etc., has an indexed list of the mp3 archive, neatly sorted into Works, Albums and tracks. It also hosts controls to select a destination server, change volume etc.

Communication sequence is as follows:

1. Choose an album or track on web-page -> executes php file on apache server.
2. Apache-server forwards request to required player socket server (Pi Zero)
3. Player executes play-track, or sequenced play of Album, by fetching files using http from apache server

It is obvious from the above, that one link could be removed if the apache server and player are co-hosted, but using the apache server as a gateway enables many cheap player end-points to be configured.
None of the above uses special proprietory audio hardware. FM transmitter modules, receivers and USB codecs are all available from AliExpress.

I believe that for playing your own mp3/wav files, KODI is a complete overblown waste of space.

BTW Living as I do in Portugal, I also listen to British Radio in a very similar fashion - on an ordinary FM radio, station(s) selected on my android phone.
If sufficient folks are interested, I will post current work on one of my websites.

Return to “Media centres”