PisRUS

Can the RPi utilise a USB Blu-ray player?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:29 pm

Title says it all really - naturally you'd need to use something like Raspbmc to access the drive and process/display the data, but will the RPi successfully access a USB Blu-ray drive?

Also, how are discs handled from various regions? Any issues playing back Region A, B, C as required?

Any iddues with protection on the discs? (easily worked around using a Blu-ray drive under windows by purchashing AnyDVD HD for example).

Thanks

ghans

Re: Can the RPi utilise a USB Blu-ray player?

Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:37 pm

What kind of protection is there anyway ?
I heard that Avatar Discs used some kind of Java thingy for copy protection.
DVD Drives and DeCSS work on the Pi (and under XBMC).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

notarat

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:24 am

PisRUS wrote:Title says it all really - naturally you'd need to use something like Raspbmc to access the drive and process/display the data, but will the RPi successfully access a USB Blu-ray drive?

Also, how are discs handled from various regions? Any issues playing back Region A, B, C as required?

Any iddues with protection on the discs? (easily worked around using a Blu-ray drive under windows by purchashing AnyDVD HD for example).

Thanks
Hmm...good question. Accessing the drive should pose no problem, but playback of a bluray may be an issue.

Will test this out.

Back in 10 minutes.

notarat

Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:59 am

I played 2 regular DVDs for a bit on my Slim External LG BP40NS20 USB BD Writer drive. Worked fine for me.

Can't say anything about regions because I only have Region 1 discs.

Make MKV works fine on BD's and the Pi plays those fine. I just watched The Avengers BluRay Rip and Prometheus this evening for about the 4th time, lol

ghans

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:21 am

Can you play the Blu-Ray directly ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

PisRUS

Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks for trying that notarat - how about playing a disc directly from the Blu-ray drive?

caravela

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:45 am

you best bet is to use it on windows and use make makemkv to backup the movie. the dts-mta audio tracks could be overkill for the pi, you better convert that to ac3 or to normal dts if you have a AV amplifier

PisRUS

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:11 pm

But backing up the discs is time consuming - much better to be able to pop the disc into a drive. :)

tomolac

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:08 pm

I believe that no linux player can handle blu-ray discs at the moment because of the encryption, and its not likely that linux will ever be able to play blu-ray discs, unless someone can convince sony to give up their patent on blu-rays.
Until then the only way to play them is to use a program like anyDVD to remove its protection, if you then make a blu-ray disc with the region free data it may play, but xbmc still cant handle the menus, and as far as I know no other linux player can show blu-ray menus either.

ghans

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:43 pm

@tomolac
I think DeCSS is a good counter-example to your hypothesis.
But I can't disprove you on the case of Blu-Rays :D
OT : Is it true that HDCP/HDMI allows devices to be remotely (by disks or updates)
rendered unusable if they have a copy protection flaw which can't be fixed ?

ghans

Just for fun : Google "illegal prime number" .

Aurelian_15

Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:10 pm

I've just tested whether the RPi is capable of playing BluRays. While omxplayer is perfectly capable of playing a BluRay quality m2ts stream, the data rate produced by the libbluray example program "libbluray_test" is only about 2.6MB/s when running standalone, utilizing about 100% of the CPU on a non-overclocked RPi. Yet a BluRay-Disc stream has a data rate of 32 MBit = 4 MB/s.

Trying to playback the stream over a pipe using omxplayer only results in stuttering video.

I think this bottleneck may be caused by the decryption process, so a optimized version of libgcrypt may help here.

PisRUS

Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks very much for looking into that - maybe one day eh? :)

Return to “Media centres”