TLinus

Volume indicator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:56 pm

Dear community,

I hope you can help me to realise my idea or you can point me into the right direction. First I must say that I am not sure if I post this into the correct category.

At home I am running a Raspberry Pi model B+ with KODI (openelec). As a (in my opinion) really good D/A converter I mounted a Hifiberry onto the Pi. The media center is used 98% for listening to music and is controlled with my smartphone using Yatse.

A while back I decided to change my Hifi setup a little. The Hifiberry used to be hooked to a preamp followed by a miniDSP and the poweramps. Since I love the setup with Kodi and Yatse I did not use any other souce anymore. That is why I decided to scrap the preamp and connect the Hifiberry straight to the miniDSP. This works really well for me, except for one thing: I do not have any visual feedback of the setpoint of the volume chosen in Kodi. Is there any way to use a barmeter (for example) like this:

http://www.barmeter.com/en/viewproduct. ... &XiajiID=0

to show the volume setpoint that I set in KODI using Yatse. To be clear: I do not want a vu meter but really only the setpoint! The plan is not to mount the barmeter directly onto the Pi but at another place.

Many greetings and a happy new year of course!!!

TLinus

Re: Volume indicator

Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:07 am

Okay this seems to be more difficult than I thought.

Perhaps this is an option: I found a bargrph that can interpret analog signals (e.g. 0-5 or 0-10 volt). It it generally possible to generate an analog output of the volume using a GPIO? I read that the Pi can do this but only from 0-3.3V and only on pin 18 which is used by the Hifiberry already. Is there another option, for example with a digital signal and a DAC?

Another option would be a bargraph from adafruit (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1721) using i2c...but I have no clue about i2c at all. Could this work? Perhaps easier?

If anyone has a better idea I will be very happy!

Return to “Media centres”